Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
szey

Power Tripping

Have been experiencing power trip at my place about 8~10x this year. Can someone recommend a good, reliable n honest electrician that can help me resolve this?

Previously I asked SAGE to take a look since they were around to fix a leaking toilet bowl, but they couldnt pinpoint the fault at all.

Thanks!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Have been experiencing power trip at my place about 8~10x this year. Can someone recommend a good, reliable n honest electrician that can help me resolve this?

Previously I asked SAGE to take a look since they were around to fix a leaking toilet bowl, but they couldnt pinpoint the fault at all.

Thanks!

Hi just wondering why u have a power failure so often.Is it your circuit box outside?? if its so often its either the circuit box outside your house or one of your points.Best to call EMSU(NUMBER AT LIFT LANDING) to check the circuit breaker first.If u want a name and no of electrician u can PM me i give u mine as i had this before too paid $300+then found out circuit breaker was faaulty.

Hi just wondering why u have a power failure so often.Is it your circuit box outside?? if its so often its either the circuit box outside your house or one of your points.Best to call EMSU(NUMBER AT LIFT LANDING) to check the circuit breaker first.If u want a name and no of electrician u can PM me i give u mine as i had this before too paid $300+then found out circuit breaker was faaulty.

Hi,

Appreciate your reply.

Circuit box? Is it the one in the storeroom? Each time it trip, got to switch back the main switch found in the box in the storeroom. Is there another circuit box outside?

Sorry am very ignorant about such things. :(

I don't know about yours.

But my house has 1 circuit breaker in the house.

The right outside near to my gate, has another circuit breaker which i think should be maintain by HDB or PUB. (I think)

But in what situation the power will trip?

Is it trip after you plug in certain application.

Sometime may due to overloading.

When is the last time, you had change the wiring

Thanks!

Look like an earth leakage trip instead of overload trip. Basically, you need a megger tester which generates 1KV or 2KV. Actually 1KV is enough, 2KV may accidentally spoil your device.

1. Unplug electrical device (lighting exceptional - most of the time is the ballast which has partial breakdown insulation wiring that partial short to chasis or earth), measured (3 pin plug)'s earth-live, & earth-netruel. If find readings less than 5k ohm, then that device gives problem.

2. Lighting more complicated - need to dismantle whatever cover, untill you see the L, N, E points of the individual, isolate the 3 wires out to make that lighting as "standalone". Inject 1K volt between E-L,& E-N , if readings < 5k ohm, that device give you proble.

Again many years back, took me abt 3 hr + to narrow down & identified one ballast's leakage. Suggest you start from devices with 3-pin plugs first. Normal ohm meter also able to do the job, but not so accurate hor.

Edited by bepgof

It's MCB that trips. ((Thanks, Therat... u are right. Didnt know the difference until I saw your links.))

It trips without any reason. Sometimes due to heavy rain, sometimes just outta the blue. Didn't notice that it trip after plugging in appliances.

I usually just flip the mcb back and its back to normal for a few weeks. My neighbours dont experience any tripping at all.

My HDB is about 16 years old liao, bought it resale, didnt do re-wiring when shifting in. Don't tell me already needs rewiring?

Am thinking of just calling an electrician. But have no contact at all. Any of you can recommend one that is honest and dont overpriced?

The SAGE uncles didnt do any checking, just keep on saying it should be due to appliances.

I googled megger tester, don't look familiar. Will try to see if can borrow ohmmeter instead.

Thanks guys :)

May be you want to take a photo of your existing MCB.

My resale HDB is 30 yrs old, I ask my electrican to check the existing MCB.

See is there a need to change.

He just look at the MCB and say. This is new type.

Old one.. only had this

new one .. had this and this.

Until now, I still don't understand what he mean by this and this.. :P

Ask my husband .. he look at me..

In school , you never learn before mah..

I was.. :rolleyes:

Hmmm.. didn't pay much attention during Electrical lab as my partner do things very fast. Before I realize what happen. He finish the lab liao.

He want to finish fast fast, so that he has more time to sleep.

:P

It's MCB that trips. ((Thanks, Therat... u are right. Didnt know the difference until I saw your links.))

It trips without any reason. Sometimes due to heavy rain, sometimes just outta the blue. Didn't notice that it trip after plugging in appliances.

I usually just flip the mcb back and its back to normal for a few weeks. My neighbours dont experience any tripping at all.

My HDB is about 16 years old liao, bought it resale, didnt do re-wiring when shifting in. Don't tell me already needs rewiring?

Am thinking of just calling an electrician. But have no contact at all. Any of you can recommend one that is honest and dont overpriced?

The SAGE uncles didnt do any checking, just keep on saying it should be due to appliances.

I googled megger tester, don't look familiar. Will try to see if can borrow ohmmeter instead.

The picture posted by therat is a "2-pole MCB". To my understanding, HDB unit's Distribution Board installed with all the "1 pole" MCBs. The "2-pole MCB" picture looks very much the same as ELCB. Leakage current usually set at 10mA, those in hospital's ICU set a 5mA, the patients cannot tahan the sudden electric shock - may die!

Single-pole mcb come with "thermal trip" function, it trips when the built-in bi-metallic strip senses overheate = overcurrent..

From the way you described: Raining....be careful September is coming, I have "Sept sydrome"- my ex-job, singtel started to call me when it rained with lightning strikes, many base stns' electrical power tripped due to poor grounding(dirty-earthed).

Edited by bepgof

My "standard" took me 3hr+ to troubleshoot a 3 rm unit, can you? I'm was in power electronic trade, eveyday dealed with big cables. Kena electric shocks > hundred times, one time in korea, shocked and fainted, carried to hospital. Did testing at site, so hot till 68 deg sprinkle burst all water spread to live panels, you could image what happened next.

Edited by bepgof

My "standard" took me 3hr+ to troubleshoot a 3 rm unit, can you? I'm was in power electronic trade, eveyday dealed with big cables. Kena electric shocks > hundred times, one time in korea, shocked and fainted, carried to hospital. Did testing at site, so hot till 68 deg sprinkle burst all water spread to live panels, you could image what happened next.

:jawdrop::jawdrop: i think i will just call any electrician...

hi all may I ask is it normal for mcb to trip whenever there is heavy thunder? I had shifted my mcb before from store room to kitchen as my store room was hacked away. Any solution to this?

hi all may I ask is it normal for mcb to trip whenever there is heavy thunder? I had shifted my mcb before from store room to kitchen as my store room was hacked away. Any solution to this?

MCB shouldn't trip in heavy thunder. During heavy thunder storm, atmospheric pressure low(except during summer), conductance of electricity supply lines become "unstable". Always having high "spikes" riding on top 50Hz sinusoidal, so any devices which have low impedance with respect to ground, tend to have earth leakage current which trip the incoming mcb. Get an approved electrician to locate the trouble.

Edited by bepgof