Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
froggy

Scan Pan Knife

Hi

need some expert opinion again.

Saw this brand of knife in Harbour Front today - Scan Pan. Being a noob in this area, can anyone advise if this is a good brand?

Used to use those cheapo pieces in previous house - but now thought of getting a set complete with rack, but not cheap. Appreciate any input.

thanks!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi

Saw this brand of knife in Harbour Front today - Scan Pan. Being a noob in this area, can anyone advise if this is a good brand?

Used to use those cheapo pieces in previous house - but now thought of getting a set complete with rack, but not cheap. Appreciate any input.

thanks!

hi hi .. maybe I give this thread a boost. Anyone with review on this?

thanks!

If you like to display your knife rack, please go for a set.

Otherwise, just get the individual set would just be fine (and save the money).

Anyway, which series are you looking for?

Though in general, scanpan knife is quite good.

If you like to display your knife rack, please go for a set.

Otherwise, just get the individual set would just be fine (and save the money).

Anyway, which series are you looking for?

Though in general, scanpan knife is quite good.

oh, I did not know that there are many series for scanpan also? How does it go?

As for rack, not that it's for display or anything. just that I felt it neater to place everything on a rack instead of having knives in the drawers - which I also find to be a bit dangerous, and also to save the already-limited drawer space.

And speaking of rack, do you use one? I sometimes have this nagging fear that the wood inside may "rot" due to the mositure in the knife that may seep in over time. Don't sure if I worry unnecessarily here.

I find the ceramic knife (not by Scanpan) great too! Ease of use and pretty. Now seems to be the craze in the market now. There are ceramic peelers too.

Ceramic? sounds really fragile. Where did you see that?

oh, I did not know that there are many series for scanpan also? How does it go?

As for rack, not that it's for display or anything. just that I felt it neater to place everything on a rack instead of having knives in the drawers - which I also find to be a bit dangerous, and also to save the already-limited drawer space.

And speaking of rack, do you use one? I sometimes have this nagging fear that the wood inside may "rot" due to the mositure in the knife that may seep in over time. Don't sure if I worry unnecessarily here.

scanpan at least have ceramic and stainless steel ones.

Don't judge just by the price, you need to try to hold the knife and see whether it's well-balanced or not.

Don't choose a knife because it's "heavy". A good knife is a sharp knife, not a heavy knife.

I don't go for a set because I am the minimalist type and just use what I need.

I would go for high-end chef's knife and paring knife and maybe a chopper. Those are what I need.

The rests are superfluous. I mean, how often do you need a bread knife?

A chef's knife and a paring knife would cover almost 90% of the kitchen duties.

I don't have a rack yet. Still looking for in-drawer knife. Something like knife rack

The wood should not rot due to moisture in the knife. Because, part of knife maintenance is:

1. Immediately wash after finish using it. Do not soak it under the pot. It's a hazard and can even rust stainless steel knife.

2. Immediately dry it with clean cloth. Please fold the cloth several times, you don't want any accident while wiping it clean.

3. Storing it.

If you see japanese chefs (in movie or restaurant) on how they maintain their knife, you will know what i mean :)

Ceramic knife is "stronger" than stainless steel/carbon steel knife. It has longer retention for its sharpness.

BUT, you can't sharpen yourself, you need to bring to manufacturere (extra cost).

And, it prones to chipping when it falls.

Hi

thanks!

I have a Scanpan cook's knife that I've been using the last 5 years. I don't use it for heavy duty cooking. I only use it for simple cutting of veggies, potatoes, chicken parts etc (cooking mostly on weekends) and it was only this year (5th year) that the tip of the blade chipped. I had the tip re-sanded and blunted and am still using the knife. Blade wise, it retains its sharpness after sharpening it so am satisfied with the performance.

However, I bought the same knife for my mum (but she uses it heavily plus cutting fruits at home everyday and cooking every weekend). Her knife only lasted her 3 years before the tip chipped.

If you want to look at a good variety of knives etc, you can try this place called Razorsharp at Tan Boon Liat Building, it's a chef's haven - they have all your kitchen needs including including Jap knives, all kinds of pots and pans etc.

If you want to look at a good variety of knives etc, you can try this place called Razorsharp at Tan Boon Liat Building, it's a chef's haven - they have all your kitchen needs including including Jap knives, all kinds of pots and pans etc.

True ... I'm going there this week to get some chopping board :D

Most probably, I would also get a jap knife from them or order online.

Though I've never dropped it, the demonstrator says it will chip when dropped. These knives are available at major departmental stores like OG and CK Tang. I bought mine at a roadshow demo near my neighbourhood. Usually they sell it slightly cheaper than shopping malls.

Bacteria will not thrive on these knives and your fruits like apples will not oxidise quickly. I can slice really thinly with this knife. Slicing through hard vegetables like carrots is effortless too.

The cream coloured blade plus coloured handles (mine is green) looks really refreshing from the standard not to mention boring silver and black handles of most kitchen knives. It sits really pretty in my drawer and on my chopping board. Cutting up vegetables and fruits suddenly become elegant and feminine. :D

Though I've never dropped it, the demonstrator says it will chip when dropped. These knives are available at major departmental stores like OG and CK Tang. I bought mine at a roadshow demo near my neighbourhood. Usually they sell it slightly cheaper than shopping malls.

Bacteria will not thrive on these knives and your fruits like apples will not oxidise quickly. I can slice really thinly with this knife. Slicing through hard vegetables like carrots is effortless too.

The cream coloured blade plus coloured handles (mine is green) looks really refreshing from the standard not to mention boring silver and black handles of most kitchen knives. It sits really pretty in my drawer and on my chopping board. Cutting up vegetables and fruits suddenly become elegant and feminine. :D

sounds cool - imagine a coloured knife!

I have a Scanpan cook's knife that I've been using the last 5 years. I don't use it for heavy duty cooking. I only use it for simple cutting of veggies, potatoes, chicken parts etc (cooking mostly on weekends) and it was only this year (5th year) that the tip of the blade chipped. I had the tip re-sanded and blunted and am still using the knife. Blade wise, it retains its sharpness after sharpening it so am satisfied with the performance.

However, I bought the same knife for my mum (but she uses it heavily plus cutting fruits at home everyday and cooking every weekend). Her knife only lasted her 3 years before the tip chipped.

sorry I fail to understand - why would the tip of the blade chip off with regular use? I thought regular use will only dull the blade, and tip can chip off only if , eg, drop?

had a look at the razorsharp website, maybe will pop by to have alook - though I think I will just browse and drool - looks expensive ! thanks!

Don't judge just by the price, you need to try to hold the knife and see whether it's well-balanced or not.

Don't choose a knife because it's "heavy". A good knife is a sharp knife, not a heavy knife.

How do you test the balance? The salesman at OG showed me a set from Henckel - he balanced the blade on his finger. According to him, only that set can balance like that, hence costs more. But do we actually do such a "test" when buying knife?

I don't go for a set because I am the minimalist type and just use what I need.

I would go for high-end chef's knife and paring knife and maybe a chopper. Those are what I need

have to agree with you that we may need everything in the set, but I guess the rest are bonus?? Good to have spare ones maybe?

Edited by froggy

sorry I fail to understand - why would the tip of the blade chip off with regular use? I thought regular use will only dull the blade, and tip can chip off only if , eg, drop?

had a look at the razorsharp website, maybe will pop by to have alook - though I think I will just browse and drool - looks expensive ! thanks!

It would chip because of the material being used. In simple (might not be accurate), a stainless steel blade is not very hard (measured by rockwell scale). Hence, the usage would slowly make it dull.

While ceramic knife is so hard the usage wouldn't make it "dull" but at the end, the "body" of the knife couldn't handle the usage and would chip.

How do you test the balance? The salesman at OG showed me a set from Henckel - he balanced the blade on his finger. According to him, only that set can balance like that, hence costs more. But do we actually do such a "test" when buying knife?

have to agree with you that we may need everything in the set, but I guess the rest are bonus?? Good to have spare ones maybe?

Initially, I bought on this "balance" thing from Henckel salesman (in OG and Tangs). But as the case of many other things, balance is just one point of it. There are hardness of the blade, sharpness, and sharpness retention.

For me, as long as I'm comfortable to hold it, it would be good enough :D

Everyone have their own preferences about knife set. Just remember that a knife set have different kinds of knives. They are supposed to do different job. For example, deboning knife, bread knife, cheese knife, slicing knife (for sushi kind), etc.

Remember, knives are just the tools that cut, and the good knives make cutting easier for longer time and that's all.