Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Fish_

Lousy Gate And Lousy Services

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
perhaps...mine wasnt bought very much earlier, just these two months ba...

anyway, better not let $188+$30 spoil your mood. :)

Have some fun DIY-ing? then can show us the before and after pictures... Singapore's DIY culture is very much lacking...

Hey gimz, i been to that CNS factory last month. wow.. really have many varieties of gates. that sales lady (young china girl) did explained to us that 188 is hollow one. must top up $50 for solid iron. If u want anti-rust, you can top up another $50 for galvanised it. if you want lighter colours for the gate, another $50 top-up. so, total roughly abt $330 to $400 (depending on the gate design that you choose).

compared to what those contractor /ID quoted (around $450 to $650), it's cheaper. Who knows that contractor /ID may just get the $188 for us, and quote us $450.

as for the lousy svc, it's really heng-suay lah. All of us sure have encountered such experience during reno phase.

let's go back to basics.

wat's the purpose of a gate? to improve security.

to improve the aesthetics, manufacturers started introducing wrought iron gates as u could twist, curl, knurl, and make all sorts of design with it. u can't do it using the old aluminium gates. u can angle the spokes, criss-cross etc, but u can't twist, curl or knurl the aluminium spokes.

den to lower cost, hollow wrought iron gates were introduced.

in terms of security, the previous aluminium gates offered higher security versus no gate installed. burglars at least had 1 barrier to overcome, even though it was a piece of hollow metal. they had to spend time cutting through it, so a delay in break-in equals a higher risk of being discovered and caught.

the "original" wrought iron gates were solid steel, thus introducing 2 layers of delay to any attempted break-ins. 1st, being solid, it's more time-consuming to cut through. 2nd, being steel, it's harder than aluminium, again slowing down the cutting process.

so when using a hollow wrought iron gate, it's almost like going back to the previous aluminium gate. however, it still is steel so it'll still take a little longer to cut through than aluminium.

as stated before, wrought iron gates whether solid or hollow, is now popularly used due to design aesthetics. if one is not particular about aesthetics, den an aluminium gate will suffix. if one prefers higher security, den go for hollow wrought iron. if require even higher level of protection, take solid wrought iron.

however, wrought iron is ultimately, a form of carbon steel. and carbon steel though hard, will rust when exposed to water and oxygen. full 18/8 stainless steel is almost rust-free. that's why it's so expensive. anything that's 18/8 or 18/10 stainless steel will be expensive. and the stainless steel gate not only solves the rusting issue, it also offers an even higher level of security as stainless steel is even harder than wrought iron.

so in order ascending protection - aluminium, hollow wrought iron, solid wrought iron, stainless steel.

for my personal use, if gg for hollow wrought iron, i'd rather take the Alu gate. no rust headache. if i wanna accept the rust headache, i'll pay a little more for the solid wrought iron. as for the stainless steel gate, i wun go for it. unless i earn 15k and above per month, den maybe i'll use the stainless steel gate.

dun be misled by the aesthetics. remember the main purpose of having a gate.

let's go back to basics.

wat's the purpose of a gate? to improve security.

to improve the aesthetics, manufacturers started introducing wrought iron gates as u could twist, curl, knurl, and make all sorts of design with it. u can't do it using the old aluminium gates. u can angle the spokes, criss-cross etc, but u can't twist, curl or knurl the aluminium spokes.

den to lower cost, hollow wrought iron gates were introduced.

in terms of security, the previous aluminium gates offered higher security versus no gate installed. burglars at least had 1 barrier to overcome, even though it was a piece of hollow metal. they had to spend time cutting through it, so a delay in break-in equals a higher risk of being discovered and caught.

the "original" wrought iron gates were solid steel, thus introducing 2 layers of delay to any attempted break-ins. 1st, being solid, it's more time-consuming to cut through. 2nd, being steel, it's harder than aluminium, again slowing down the cutting process.

so when using a hollow wrought iron gate, it's almost like going back to the previous aluminium gate. however, it still is steel so it'll still take a little longer to cut through than aluminium.

as stated before, wrought iron gates whether solid or hollow, is now popularly used due to design aesthetics. if one is not particular about aesthetics, den an aluminium gate will suffix. if one prefers higher security, den go for hollow wrought iron. if require even higher level of protection, take solid wrought iron.

however, wrought iron is ultimately, a form of carbon steel. and carbon steel though hard, will rust when exposed to water and oxygen. full 18/8 stainless steel is almost rust-free. that's why it's so expensive. anything that's 18/8 or 18/10 stainless steel will be expensive. and the stainless steel gate not only solves the rusting issue, it also offers an even higher level of security as stainless steel is even harder than wrought iron.

so in order ascending protection - aluminium, hollow wrought iron, solid wrought iron, stainless steel.

for my personal use, if gg for hollow wrought iron, i'd rather take the Alu gate. no rust headache. if i wanna accept the rust headache, i'll pay a little more for the solid wrought iron. as for the stainless steel gate, i wun go for it. unless i earn 15k and above per month, den maybe i'll use the stainless steel gate.

dun be misled by the aesthetics. remember the main purpose of having a gate.

Very well said! :thumbs up:

agreed with Manutd!

there is also mild steel gate...have seen some nice ones here as well. :)

Every industry has its own way of making profits and cutting corners, CNS is a pretty ok deal. Have to self paint the unpainted portions, oh well the small tiny can of paint costs $1.80. Also used a spray paint costing $3.50.

:P

good enough for me...i just hated the "surprise" when i saw unpainted parts of the gate.

If can, keep to originals from hdb. They are so kiasu, give us the best window system, main gate and main door. Though not the best looking, but serve the purpose :)

Lucky I got read this forum. I nearly got my gate from CNS. The saleperson was rude and unprofessional but I thought to myself I just need a gate. After reading this forum I totally change my idea. I dont want my gate to rust immediately.

I bumped into Ho Ho Engineering when I was doing shopping in Tampines. They have a friendly saleperson and offered a simple design gate at $319. When they ask me for a 50% deposit upon making an order, I was quite scared. But the sale girl assured me that they have 30 years experince, own factory, BCA and HDB licence so I agreed. Today, my gate was delivered in good condition.

I hope to pass the goodwill down to the next readers. Contact Ho Ho 67479019 or www.hohoengineering1976.com

Something unbelievable happened! !!

We have purchased a wrought iron gate and installed on 9 July 2010. The gate was sold at a promotion price of $188 + $30 for an extended frame.

On 17 July 2010 Saturday, there was raining heavily and gate was partially wet. To our horror we noted rust starts surface in the afternoon.

The staff repeatedly making excuses and refuse to get the manager to the phone. So we went to the shop to seek for advice or recourse. The staff commented that what can you expect for a cheap $218 gate and we have been in the business for 10 over years and can do without one less customer. We seek to talk to the manager who unbelievably used vulgar language on us. The manger used vulgar language on us!! curse.gif

We understand $218 gate likely to come with a low-grade material. However we do not expect the gate to turn rust after one wash (by the rain). This happened only 9 days after the installation. The lousy quality material is not worthy of the amount we have paid for.

Not only there are no after sales services; the staff attitude and behavior are despicable and disgraceful. I cannot believe or understand why a company with 10 years history wants to ruin its reputation and create such negative goodwill.

Please comment and advise me what would you do if this happened on you.

can pm as i m intending to gat a metal gate..so that i can avoid this company

Hollow wrought iron gates go for minimally 300-400+ for a standard design one. Factoring the cost price and labour, it is doubtful it can go any lower. As mentioned, if u have the moolah u can always go ahead and get a solid wrought iron gate, those are usually customizable with decorative pieces from italy though expensive as ****.

Good quality wrought iron paint also come at a ridiculous price. Last i heard a small tin of gold paint cost upwards of $80+, not too clear on this though as im not in the wrought iron business.

Lucky I got read this forum. I nearly got my gate from CNS. The saleperson was rude and unprofessional but I thought to myself I just need a gate. After reading this forum I totally change my idea. I dont want my gate to rust immediately.

I bumped into Ho Ho Engineering when I was doing shopping in Tampines. They have a friendly saleperson and offered a simple design gate at $319. When they ask me for a 50% deposit upon making an order, I was quite scared. But the sale girl assured me that they have 30 years experince, own factory, BCA and HDB licence so I agreed. Today, my gate was delivered in good condition.

I hope to pass the goodwill down to the next readers. Contact Ho Ho 67479019 or www.hohoengineering1976.com

I got my gate from Ho Ho Engineering as recommended by Unifire. The price of my gate was $339 (all in) Good price and installation. We also have a useful blog with great info on wrought iron gate, wooden door and toilet door. Must read for homeowner. You can see all their latest design in the link below.

http://gate-grille-window-door.blogspot.sg/p/wrought-iron-gate-design.html

Got my new wrought iron gate installed by Hoho engineering. Great value for money and great quality. Workmanship done by Mr Yoong is excellent. Convenient as I did not even have to go down to their office, simply email them for a quotation ($339) and they sent a friendly staff to come to my house to take measurements and pay 70% deposit.  Installation date was postponed once but staff called to apologise nicely. Overall, would recommend Hoho engineering to my friends...just sharing good things.