Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

I hate "bay windows".

I use quotes because proper bay windows are supposed to protrude out of the structure, and is meant to increase usable space in a room without taking up floor space.

In Singapore, our "bay windows" are *gasp* inside the apartment!

They take up valuable floor space in our already space-challenged apartment.

They are part of the structure; so you can't hack them away or convert them into storage space.

They completely useless in space challenged Singapore.

Rant aside, I would like to ask the members of renotalk, what have you done to your bay windows to turn them into usable living space?

In my case one of them would be converted into seating in the dining area, but the others just seem to be absolutely useless.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
I hate "bay windows".

I use quotes because proper bay windows are supposed to protrude out of the structure, and is meant to increase usable space in a room without taking up floor space.

They are part of the structure; so you can't hack them away or convert them into storage space.

Rant aside, I would like to ask the members of renotalk, what have you done to your bay windows to turn them into usable living space?

In my case one of them would be converted into seating in the dining area, but the others just seem to be absolutely useless.

I have these bay windows all over my bedrooms.

What I did with them:

1. Build a bed over it.

2. Build a desk over it.

3. Build a slanting ledge on one side which can be used to store things, and also a place to lounge around

My bay windows come with almost floor to ceiling windows, so you can also build cabinets all along the windows, like what my neighbours did, and still have good views from the window. My helper currently sleeps on the bay window in her room since it's quite comfy and wide enough for her (even though I've bought her a foldable bed).

Check out my blog for pics.

In San Francisco, most building are with bay window.

Over there, their design are very nice, not squarish like these over here.

Purpose is to draw sunlight to your room. So, your room is not that dark.

I hate "bay windows".

I do not quite understand, for HDB, bay windows are not calculated as part of your internal floor area.

Thus a 110sqm 5 room HDB with bay windows has more space than a 110sqm HDB without bay windows.

sorry but how does a bay window look like?

=================

ok found it .... 4390765861_bd4ea6e3ff_m.jpg

Edited by neubie

bay windows looks nice . i don't know why you hate them , may be it is due to the fact that you have seen them too many :rolleyes:

but anyway one of my cousins also has on in his room and he and I made some arrangements for that. We bought a nice silver Chinese style open table and put it in front. really that was a horrible when you think but believe me when we put it that way that was looking awsome.

The best thing about the table was it can be splitted into pieces so that was a kind of open end table which looks like made up of different pieces.and arranged some books over to meed the pattern of the window.

good to go....... :D

bay windows looks nice . i don't know why you hate them , may be it is due to the fact that you have seen them too many :rolleyes:

but anyway one of my cousins also has on in his room and he and I made some arrangements for that. We bought a nice silver Chinese style open table and put it in front. really that was a horrible when you think but believe me when we put it that way that was looking awsome.

The best thing about the table was it can be splitted into pieces so that was a kind of open end table which looks like made up of different pieces.and arranged some books over to meed the pattern of the window.

good to go....... :D

not when u pay high pfs and every room has huge bay window and u realised u paid for area u can't call "floor area". that's what a friend complained when she got her place ;)

Just to make it clear, I have no qualms about proper bay windows, i.e those that protrude out of the structure like this. Calling those slabs of concrete that eat into the floor space "bay windows" is a bit dishonest, but what can I do?

I have bay windows in every room... and that gives me limited flexibility on how I can arrange the furniture in the room. More like, I can't even buy furniture because it wouldn't fit... I'd probably have to customise a bed and some cabinets in the lower fixed panel part of the window... probably like Umaisarah.

@hammad: could you take a picture of your cousin's place and show it to me? That sounds like a really cool idea.

yup I know what you mean about a proper bay window. still, I find that the Singapore type of bay window - if parquet is built over it, it looks really lovely and can be used for almost anything - the ideas that some threw up are great - beds, cabinets, etc

I'd use it as a seat for a desk or table, or I'd use it as a display type of bookshelf (all with parquet of course!). a bed built on it would be SO nice too, as you'd be surrounded by glass/a view in bed.

mine home has got bay windows as well, infact alot of it...2 sides of my master bedroom has got bays on it & now i'm having problem with my kig size bed coz i dun intend to stack the mattress on the bay, this will make the bed really high. dimensions of the bay is ~500(W) x 500(D). similarly for the living area, there's a 5m+ stretch of bay windows, will be construction the TV consoles, books shelves & cabinets on them & also converting part of it as sitting area for the dinning table, by laying cushion sattee.