Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Phoenix81

Hall Design - Pls Suggest

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi,

We have hired a contractor for our flat renovation but we are running out of ideas for the hall design.. Pls suggest on how to make this hall have a more modern look. The image url is below..

http://yfrog.com/jxdsc00843mj

don't mean to be rude but i think you should have gone with an interior design in the first place!

good news is that you can still sign up with a design purely based on designing, but you will not have any bargaining power with regards to the design fees since you are not using them for the reno job.

and pls go thru some of the problems our bro/sis her faced when they engage a contractor directly to help save cost!

the above are just my opinion for sharing purposes, no hard feelings :)

remove window grilles, install roller or roman blinds

fresh coat of white paint

remove cornices (optional)

grey carpet on the floor

some black and white furniture

get some modern lights.

Hi,

We have hired a contractor for our flat renovation but we are running out of ideas for the hall design.. Pls suggest on how to make this hall have a more modern look. The image url is below..

http://yfrog.com/jxdsc00843mj

I suggest you go and take a look at IKEA showroom, or browse thru some house magazine, read thru the reno blog here to get an idea how you want your house to be.

Anyway since you had already got your contractor, my suggestion

1 ) First decide a theme you want, simple, modern, baliness, European, china-oriented or ...

2 ) Decide 90% how you want to place your furniture, whether to have feature wall, or custom made design like pillars, wall colors ( Modern may be black & white, Baliness may be gold and brown )

3 ) Scout for the right furniture ( like Baliness style is more with wooden color with nice carving, modern may be more leather type sofa, simple theme may require u to get metal type of coffee table , etc ),

4 ) Select the right lighting design for your living room, where to place the light to bring out the best effect,

5 ) Accessories - like curtain color, carpet, and wall paper on certain part. Like for Baliness, you may want to add a water fountain, for Modern, an abstract Art picture

6 ) Decide also whether to hack your floor to choose a nice tile to bring out the effect, laminate it

Honestly for me, I think designing is better left to pro ( aka ID Designer ) who will tell you how the combination of colors, furniture, lighting will bring out the best effect for you. I heard a few stories from my friends that what they intend to design and what it turn out, is quite different after the contractor do it for them. I am not a creative person, so I believe my ID more than myself :D

No worries, be confident in yourself and just enjoy the process of designing ! ;)

Lights and grilles definitely have to go...

Flooring if can afford, change to those white shiny type to make the room seems brighter.

Like what the others said. Decide your theme first.

Hmm, this is a little tricky, but I can see several ways you can utilise it to your advantage.

First off, where are the power/scv/tv points? It makes for quite an odd configuration because I don't see power points in your picture, and can only assume the TV goes along the wall opposite your windows.You do not have ONE pillar to deal with but 3 problem areas.

4944246481_07af5b687b.jpg

You can make a mid-room. Something like this (please pardon the quick sketching):

4944287509_ba7d5c143b_z.jpg

Paint the feature wall one gorgeous hue, like a rich, warm brown to go with your tiles. Extend Pillar B sizably. Paint both B and C the same colour (white) like all the rest of the living/dining room (except for feature wall). This would give a more homogenous feel, without the columns looking out of place.

Create a reading nook - It can be minimalisitic or accented if you want it to be eyecatching. Install shelves along A to "hide" it. The shelves can extend to the living area for books, pictures, ornaments. Get a cozy chaise lounge, invest in an eye-catching standing wall lamp.

9c3a7125df14.jpg

584d5b961a7c.jpg

Or make it a study nook - Shelves along the pillar, and a desk and chair. Like this:

d5419d125708.jpg

-- cont'd

or

4944362585_f234c78bf2.jpg

or

ReadingNookJ.jpg

You can either choose to hide the windows with the shelves or use it. Get gorgeous printed curtains that fit your overall theme, if you want to further accentuate your "problem areas". Like this:

99c0486e9e45.jpg

2b14008dd5cc.jpg

Get a beautiful ceiling light for your living area.

If Pillar B is the only one that bothers you, there are other ways to "hide" it.

You can make it a feature pillar - mosaic tiles, a pop of colour, or paint stripes. Or apply mirror to the entire column, and it would simply reflect the rest of the room.