Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
cybermirage

Peeling And Flaking Of Leather Sofa

im very sure they have same problem too .

People loves to complaint stuff when things goes wrong but they don`t ask themself have they done the neccesary things to avoid leather damage ?? ask yourself.

Cheers

HTL is the 3rd largest Sofa Maker IN THE WORLD... it is safer to buy from renown manufacturers than Fly-by-night Ikan Bilis retailers.. at least you get to see your sofa delivered

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I found this article about split leather and PU leather.

http://www.mainlychairs.co.nz/leather%20advice.htm

...my expert advisor who has been in the tanning and leather repair industry for in excess of 30 years knows of no way to solve the problem just as he cannot repair surface wear to splits. But he confesses that despite so long in the leather business he has great difficulty recognising splits and reconstituted leathers from the 'real thing'. And he strongly supports my contention that all leather furniture should have strict labelling regulations so that the public can make an informed judgement.

If an industry veteran can't tell the difference, we're completely at the mercy of furniture retailers, suppliers and makers.

Leather products don't come cheap and if you paid less than $3000 for your sofa, it's unlikely to be genuine leather. If you have a budget like that, I think a fabric sofa is a better choice. They can be reupholstered as well.

Just a thought.

I found this article about split leather and PU leather.

http://www.mainlychairs.co.nz/leather%20advice.htm

If an industry veteran can't tell the difference, we're completely at the mercy of furniture retailers, suppliers and makers.

Leather products don't come cheap and if you paid less than $3000 for your sofa, it's unlikely to be genuine leather. If you have a budget like that, I think a fabric sofa is a better choice. They can be reupholstered as well.

Just a thought.

I second this statement. Singapore high humidity level are not suitable for leather stuffs, leather last longer in dry conditions. provided you turn on your air-conditioning often enough to keep your space dry for your sofa?

Anyway, it will be more 'economical' to use fabrics. You may even want to use removable covers so you can wash it.

Just 2cts too...

:)

Hi, just to share my experience and to seek advice from the forummers here...

2 years back, in Jul 2008, I bought a $1500 2.5 seater full leather sofa from Living Instinct (a.k.a I Vivi) at IFC, Sungei Kadut. The leather was warrantied for 1 year. Back in Dec 2009, about 1.5 years after the sofa was delivered, the leather condition started to deteriorate in certain areas, discoloring and cracking of the leather. Over the next few months into 2010, the leather surface started to peel and eventually flak and literally fall into pieces. Basically, pieces of leather fall onto the floor with everyday of usage.

I called up Living Instinct only recently to enquire what are my options. According to the person, their management has reviewed and I was given 2 options :

1) Redo the sofa with full leather wrap with a higher grade leather that would cost $1200. Only the wooden frame will remain unchanged;

2) Choose a new sofa "up to 70%" discount depending on the model.

I don't intend to take up either option but I also did not negotiate with them further. I only confirmed with them whether these are the only options I have. I don't even know if it's genuine leather, but I guess not. I thought leather sofas were made to last? Seems to me like a gimmick to ensure customers keep coming back. I think a few of the forummers have similar experience with this or some other furniture shops.

Do I have a case with CASE or Small Claims Tribunals? Moving forward, what are realistic options for me? Thanks for any advice.

Here's some images on the sofa condition, click for larger image :

th.96f2985631.jpg th.df94d2eedb.jpg th.942e627699.jpg

Actually for this particular sofa, it should be obvious just from looking at the design to know that it is not genuine leather because the panels are very big. Natural leather comes from cows so the panels tend to be smaller and there should be joints on the seat and they backrest.

Paying $1500 for a 2.5seater PU leather sofa seems to be high but then to get a decent genuine leather sofa that is properly constructed you must be prepared to spend up to $4000. So at the end of the day you got what you paid for.

HTL is the 3rd largest Sofa Maker IN THE WORLD... it is safer to buy from renown manufacturers than Fly-by-night Ikan Bilis retailers.. at least you get to see your sofa delivered

you have certain knowledge on furnitures but definately your info is not up to date !!===> go update yourself again 2011 year who is leading manufcture in china now.

and our topic are leather peeling and you telling me about sofa delivery to house !!===> you never answer to question, you only trying to divert readers attention.

largest manufactures doesnt mean best workmanship!! ===> they will face problem too is a matter of how to solve it .

QUOTE (jjli @ Aug 2 2010, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

the sofa you bought are actually PU leather, it is the kind of fake leather normally used by mass imported furniture.As the fabric or leather material is the main cost of manufacturing the sofa, this material is used in order to reduce substantially the cost price of manufacturing.

A higher grade of leather will be synthetic leather (also know as PVC this type of leather do not peel and last longer.it will definitely crack or tear after some time.

The highest grade of leather of course is genuine leather.

Cheers

Hmmm .... I was told by my mattress salesguy that PU leather is better/higher grade or superior to PVC for fake or faux leather ohmy.gif

In my mind PVC is something like "Plastic" - thick/hard shiny type of 'inferior type material'

Oh dear .... which is correct ?

Dear all,

We would just like to offer our experience. PVC is actually 100% synthetic leather. PU is actually leather bonded with plastics and in the past that is true PU is of better quality than PVC. However, there are PU and PVC of different grades today, especially with more and more manufacturers of PVC, and PU, with different constitutes, ingredients and make, bringing out different quality. As such, some PVC might be better than PU. Similarly for 100% genuine leather, there can be poor treatment process which results in poor leather. 100% genuine leather, generally last longer, but if it is not taken care properly, it might even have a shorter lifespan as PVC or PU.

QUOTE (B2B @ Nov 18 2010, 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you have certain knowledge on furnitures but definately your info is not up to date excl.gif===> go update yourself again 2011 year who is leading manufcture in china now.

and our topic are leather peeling and you telling me about sofa delivery to house excl.gif===> you never answer to question, you only trying to divert readers attention.

largest manufactures doesnt mean best workmanship!! ===> they will face problem too is a matter of how to solve it .

Sometimes is not the sofa manufacturer, but the leather and PU/PVC provider. It is thus very important to get a sofa manufacturer who vets who they get their suppliers from. Also it is important for a retailer and/or importer to ensure there is quality control from their distributor or manufacturer.

At TPY 177 Furniture, we have a importing arm under U.S.T. Enterprise, and we have our manufacturing partner in Malaysia, who have strict quality control over the material and supplier they use, as well as the. We give constant feedback. There are also so many distributor and providers of furniture, but we do not get them all if they don't pass our quality test, as such we have a smaller range but better quality assurance. That is not to say that defects and problems won't happen, but we will try our best to rectify them and offer an exchange from the manufacturer.

wow.... looks like there's some thing to learn here.... that is not to buy leather sofa.... buy headache cos dont know how to get (should get the shi huo ya men on channel 8 to teach)... I also told PU is better than PVC (but also how to differentiate, dont know).... and leather must get certification from tanneries in one of the thread here... if good they gurantee you 4-5 years and somemore no need buy cream wipe here wipe there.... i thought is quite makes sense...my timberland shoes never need to wipe here wipe there after like 1 year plust of heavy use.... i think i am a big fan of how the company warranty you too.... if they ask you pay so much for leatehr and no gurantee... maybe something is wrong.... think sanzio, a new sofa company... someone just bought and share in recent thread.... pretty nice sofa... and some year warranty... one money one good....

my company use a sofa for 10 years already... ah mao ah gou sit there... i recently go see cos trying to understand leather before buying (i end up buy fabric).... if flip over no suede material is not leather... i was told.... true or not? if they say flipover is some cloth and white thread then is pvc or pu. but i must say it's effortless maintenance for a long time for my company... (true la, cos where got time to wipe here wipe there cream) soemmore ah mao ah gou butt alos not clean...