Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Sunny88

Bathroom Sealant Leaves Black Mould?

this is a really helpful thread! i didn't know there was such a thing as Look AB Mould Killer. i'm planning to get a bottle on my way home and trying it tonight. the mould in my toilet has always bothered me, i'm quite excited to see whether it works. thanks! :)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hmmmm..... silicon once applied and dry becomes porous, the mold spores love it there and the only way is to reapply the silicon,

the black silicon is a good idea, because no matter what you do, the shower area will always be filled with micro-organisms, cause when we shower, the soap will rinse our dried skin and dirt away, and these will get to the silicon areas and the area will start to produce mold.

Take note to re apply the silicon in between the gaps on top of your kitchen cabinet, even if it is a marble or granite top, the gaps must be sealed with silicon every 6-9 months, to prevent water from getting through these gaps into the cabinets below, which will also produce mold and the musky smell. note that the water that seeps through is not clean water, it is the water from wahing your dishes and say, from cleaning that fish....etc.

Prevention is better than cure, if your family is getting allergies, then give me a call.

the black flies are called moth flies. harmless but very ugly. they hatch from eggs as semi-translucant, white worms which you may seen around the sink. they grow in mouldy spots, most commonly the drain pipes in our sinks, showers, etc.

the surest way to eliminate them is to get rid of their breeding spots: wipe/scrub any mould patches in the shower and pour drain cleaner down the drain pipes.

i hate cleaning so i just leave them be. fortunately, when they amassing on the ceiling like dark spots, the lizards around my home take care of them. ewww.

as for the mould, the silicon that was used is not meant for high humidity areas. buy anti-mould sealant/silicon. i'm not sure where to get it but that should solve the problem. good luck! :)

oops! just realised that the thread is very old. it was brought up when i was searching for a separate topis. :|

Edited by tinsel

Does the AB Mould Killer really work?

If it does, it will be a life saver! Im really irritated by the black mould but nothing seems to be able to get rid of it. :help:

I use Mr Muscle Mold & Mildew Killer, works wonder. Just spray on moldy areas, leave for about 30 mins and wash them away after.

You will see improvement. Do a regular maintenance, it should be fine. It's been 2 years since my reno, and my shower screen area still looks pretty new.

Can use bleach?

For stubborn stains, confirmed bleach better! Cheaper too! But still can't rid of my aged stains. Will try bleach again and possibly scrap over the weekend.

I recommend Magic Clean Stain & Mold cleaner. The instruction said it can dissolve mold in 5 mins and no scrubbing needed. I kiasu so leave on for 30 min and then lightly scrub the area. To my surprise it is indeed effective! Give it a try. I bought from NTUC, cost $4.50.

Edited by gemini

I read on another DIY thread just now that if you apply one of these mildew sprays to the seal by soaking toilet paper in it and leaving it overnight it will clear it so I'm experimenting with that.

Cleaning the mould is going to be quite tough, and after cleaning it is just going to grow mould again. Would really recommend removing the existing sealant and reseal, this time with proper anti-fungal silicone sealant. This type of sealants contains fungicides which prevents the growth of mould on the silicone surface. However, even this anti-fungal properties have limited lifespan, usually can only last a few years. Some can last more than ten years without growing mouldy, depending on the conditions. Definitely better than 2 months!

Cleaning the mould is going to be quite tough, and after cleaning it is just going to grow mould again. Would really recommend removing the existing sealant and reseal, this time with proper anti-fungal silicone sealant. This type of sealants contains fungicides which prevents the growth of mould on the silicone surface. However, even this anti-fungal properties have limited lifespan, usually can only last a few years. Some can last more than ten years without growing mouldy, depending on the conditions. Definitely better than 2 months!

Not cost & labour effective.

Black silicon application will do - can't see the black mould! 'Feel' better.

Anyway the black mould still there