Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Sunny88

Bathroom Sealant Leaves Black Mould?

personally i used to hav the same issue. took me 1 day to remove all the silicon, and reapply black silicon.

the shower screen was the most tedious portion.

but till date i think its the easiest way, though its abit like ostrich hide the head in the hole? hee..

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Constant efforts to remove mould from existing sealants is really labour inefficient. The mould will just grow back. Removing and replacing with black sealants will help of course, but not everyone wants to use black sealants on bathroom fittings, especially if these fittings are white.

My recommendation to remove sealant and replace with a good, anti-fungal sealant is of course somewhat of a chore, but it will save you many years of frustration and attempting to clean mould. Anti-fungal sealants are available in different colours, even clear, so you do not need to have black strips lining the edges of your fittings. And as I have mentioned, anti-fungal sealants work on a simple but very effective principle - they contain fungicides so that any fungal/mould/mildew spores that attach itself to the sealant surface will die immediately.

In terms of cost, you will be surprised how cheap a cartridge of good anti-fungal sealant will be. The problem is actually finding a good one, as many hardware shops in Singapore do not stock quality products; and even when they do it may be tough to find the anti-fungal variant.

After finding a good cartridge of sealant, the next problem is in application. The good thing is that silicone sealants are pretty easy to use as long as you take the time to make preparations of the areas to be sealed - i.e. use masking tapes, use soapy water to "smoothen" the sealant after application etc.

My father's home uses a special green colour, anti-fungal silicone sealant to seal his green sink. It was applied 25 years ago, and only last year did it start to grow small patches of black mould. Think about that same amount of time with a lousy sealant and all the time it would have taken to clean the mould again and again.

You can clean the mould using some something called HCL89.

I usually get it from http://hcl89.byethost10.com or

http://hcl89.atwebpages.com

What it does is that it cleans up your moulds on your tiles and also helps

to create a protection for it so that always remains new.

So far i tried it this works the best for me

My 2 cents

Used the HCL89 from http://hcl89.byethost10.com before and it really helped to clean my tiles, recommended

• Like 4

It was applied 25 years ago, and only last year did it start to grow small patches of black mould.

You are talking nearly 1/4 a century ago, i think the sellers also maybe no more already, haha

• Like 4

There is one Korean brand paste that can easily remove the black mould. My bath room 18 years of black mould on the silicon also been removed. My wife bought from Qoo10.

There is one Korean brand paste that can easily remove the black mould. My bath room 18 years of black mould on the silicon also been removed. My wife bought from Qoo10.

can sic the link?

Back in August 2010, I posted about what I did regarding this topic. It's been 4.5 years now and I have not done anything since 2010. This is the first time I am attaching pictures, so hope it works. Below is the condition of the silicon strip that I had installed 4.5 years ago. Hope it helps those who are keen to resolve the problem.

Silicon Strip 03

Silicon Strip 02

Silicon Strip 01

Recently moved into my new place and after 1 and half months, mould started to appear on the clear silicone on the bathroom screen. Bought the Look (AB) Mould Killer today and I am impressed. I thought I would never get rid of the mould. Spray on it and leave it for about 30mins and it really got rid of most of the mould. I repeated twice for more of the stubborn mould stains and 90% of them were gone.

Great product! Found it at Cold Storage.

You can clean the mould using some something called HCL89.

I usually get it from http://hcl89.byethost10.com or

http://hcl89.atwebpages.com

What it does is that it cleans up your moulds on your tiles and also helps

to create a protection for it so that always remains new.

So far i tried it this works the best for me

My 2 cents

Tried using the hcl89 from http://hcl89.byethost10.com to try to get rid of the mould and so far the mould seems to be gone.

The mouldy smell seems to also be gone as well, and so far that i have used it for more than 2 weeks ago, the mould

seems to be gone for good

So far product seems to have done it for s the mould is nowhere to be found for now

• Like 4

Back in August 2010, I posted about what I did regarding this topic. It's been 4.5 years now and I have not done anything since 2010. This is the first time I am attaching pictures, so hope it works. Below is the condition of the silicon strip that I had installed 4.5 years ago. Hope it helps those who are keen to resolve the problem.

Thank you so much w7_lee ...... this is inspiring!!! I have been trying to deal with mould for a few years and found your old post from 2010. I wasn't sure if it would be worth wrecking my sealant to do this ..... but now I see you 2015 posts, and I say absolutely I want that! Thanks for being so ingenious and thanks for updating 5 years later with photos.

On 07/08/2010 at 9:15 AM, Sunny88 said:

We have moved into new house for 6 months. Recently, I noticed that there was "blackish mould" in the silicone sealing used for these 2 areas: bathroom sink to join with the bathroom tiles; and the area joining the showerscreen to the aluminium lining on the bathroom floor.

This "mould" can be seen but it is trapped within the silicone and cannot be scrubbed off.

We complained to the contractors cos it happened within 2 months. They said yes will fix it , then came to re-do new silicone, but warned us that the problem will recurr and it did after a few months, even if they use the best silicone in the market.

Any advice? I'm flabbergasted!

Hi buddy,

Sorry for the late reply.

Just remove all the sealant with a stanley knife and replace with a mildew resistant sealant which is a lot less hassle and cheaper than cleaning the old sealant, these tubes are readily available in good hardware shops and builders suppliers for around 3-4 pounds a tube which is all that is needed.

Andesrenenviro

Environmental consultant