Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
vratenza

Old Apartment Gate Remote Control

Hi all,

I just bought a 13yr old apartment with underground carpark.

I guess due to the age, it is still using remote controls (newer developments are using handsfree car transponders) to open the main gate leading to the underground carpark.

The owner, by right, should be passing me one remote control when it's time for handover.

Since both me and my wife drive a car each, we need 2 remote controls.

I called up the MCST and was told that we will have no issue parking 2 cars as the development have ample parking lots, but the MCST guy was telling me that we are on our own in getting the 2nd remote as it was given out by the developer way back during the early days and the MCST is not holding or responsible for any spare remotes.

Now, to make matter worst, after checking ard, the developer seem to have gone bust.

Qns:

1) any suggestion to get the 2nd remote?

2) if in the event the previous owner lost his remote...is he legally liable to ensure that it is replaced during handover?

3) is it possible to clone such a remote and what is the expected cost? Any cons in doing this?.

Thanks in advance!!!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi all,

I guess due to the age, it is still using remote controls (newer developments are using handsfree car transponders) to open the main gate leading to the underground carpark.

The owner, by right, should be passing me one remote control when it's time for handover.

I called up the MCST and was told that we will have no issue parking 2 cars as the development have ample parking lots, but the MCST guy was telling me that we are on our own in getting the 2nd remote as it was given out by the developer way back during the early days and the MCST is not holding or responsible for any spare remotes.

Now, to make matter worst, after checking ard, the developer seem to have gone bust.

Qns:

2) if in the event the previous owner lost his remote...is he legally liable to ensure that it is replaced during handover?

3) is it possible to clone such a remote and what is the expected cost? Any cons in doing this?.

Thanks in advance!!!

I think each remote control has a code (eg. password). The shop just need to program the code to be similar with the code that can be used and I am assuming you can go to any shop that does such thing. You might want to ask around.

We went to the shop that does our autogate (can't remember the cost) and saw them doing the internal code on the new remote control. Looks like a easy process.

Hi all,

Qns:

Thanks in advance!!!

i am not 100% sure for auto gate remote... but i have gotten my car remote cloned @ one of the shop ( i think level 2 ) in JB jusco tebrau city... cost around rm60. I believe they should be able to do autogate remote too.

Hi all,

Qns:

Thanks in advance!!!

You're referring to transmitter in fact, don't know how "old" yr apartment, system could be either infra-red activation or Radio frequency(27Mhz ~ 72Mhz) activation. Ask MCST for name of autogate system first and find out the carrier frequncy. Or try look at the motor mechanism for such info. Then try this:

http://www.secureciti.com/systems/autogate.php

Q1, as above

Q2, I doubt he has any legal obligation, though it is part of security issue.

Q3, Sorry, can't help.

Edited by bepgof

i think i know which type of controller you talking about I also just shift into a property about 12 yrs old and using those big bulky controller. You need to open up the back of the controller and see how many mini switches its has. They come in 8, 10 or 12. Then you go to sim lim or any car accessories shop and tell them the type u need. its v easy to set. you jus turn on e mini switches at e back of the controller (same place as e battery) accordin 2 the one you have. But the controller v expensive about $90 each. If the ex owner had lost the controller then u need to borrow ur neighbour,s and check the setting.

i think i know which type of controller you talking about I also just shift into a property about 12 yrs old and using those big bulky controller. You need to open up the back of the controller and see how many mini switches its has. They come in 8, 10 or 12. Then you go to sim lim or any car accessories shop and tell them the type u need. its v easy to set. you jus turn on e mini switches at e back of the controller (same place as e battery) accordin 2 the one you have. But the controller v expensive about $90 each. If the ex owner had lost the controller then u need to borrow ur neighbour,s and check the setting.

actually I have not even seen the remote myself. But from ur description, it seem like it is not an unsurmountable task. Thanks for sharing ur experience here..it kind of give me some reaasurance.

You're referring to transmitter in fact, don't know how "old" yr apartment, system could be either infra-red activation or Radio frequency(27Mhz ~ 72Mhz) activation. Ask MCST for name of autogate system first and find out the carrier frequncy. Or try look at the motor mechanism for such info. Then try this:

http://www.secureciti.com/systems/autogate.php

Q1, as above

Q2, I doubt he has any legal obligation, though it is part of security issue.

Q3, Sorry, can't help.

re: Q2, when it's a security issue when not all the keys and access cards are handed over to the new owner, if there is no legal obligation, why will any one bother to hand over any at all?

I remembered when I sold my last place, I was scrambling to search out all the extra keys and access cards from my parents (for times when they pop over) because the agent told me we are legally obliged to hand over the original set of keys and access cards from the developer.

re: Q2, when it's a security issue when not all the keys and access cards are handed over to the new owner, if there is no legal obligation, why will any one bother to hand over any at all?

I remembered when I sold my last place, I was scrambling to search out all the extra keys and access cards from my parents (for times when they pop over) because the agent told me we are legally obliged to hand over the original set of keys and access cards from the developer.

MCST is incharge of maintenance matter in this regard, they should be in right capacity to assist those car owners to have a proper autogate transmitter. It is unlike door key which is personal, autogate system is a public asset undertaken by MCST, they are responsible for the maint/usage.

Believed MCST should have maintained a record of "how many" transmiter have been issued to your seller who is obliged (hope i use the right word) to pass u but no legal duty to you but to MCST - somewhere(handbook or bylaws) written the "transmitter" is a public asset (like transponder is a public asset, supposed to return to MCST, but hardly executed) Your MCST is finding "excuse", they are paid to maintain the public asset! Image if one of the stopcork of pipe in yr premise broke down and water keeps running and MCST says "no stock".... Try find out who is the MA your MCST engaged

If you are so unlucky yr buyer "lost" his, the most practical way is to borrow yr neighbour's......

I think I read somewhere in handbook abt those access card, transponder ---need to return to MC if no longer resident.

Edited by bepgof