Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
lindavw

Remote Control Lightings

Hi mae29,

want check with you, after you install the lights with remote control, do you still install the switches on the wall to on/off the lightings? So additional $100 is what you pay to electrician to top up to the original amount just to install the remote control ? =)

<!--quoteo(post=618489:date=Mar 14 2011, 10:19 AM:name=mae29)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mae29 @ Mar 14 2011, 10:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=618489"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->More info in my reno t-blog here...

<a href="http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=35996&view=findpost&p=615942" target="_blank">http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?s=...st&p=615942</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I saw a ceiling light (square type) with 3 bulbs twisted type in that light and it can come with remote that turns on 1 bulb, 2 bulbs or all 3 bulbs at 1 time...anyone else knws where to get these type of lights? the design of the ceiling light comes with a glass panel and flies can go into the light box.. :( my concern is the ugly sight of dead flies in the ceiling light box...but they dont hv the sealed up version...anyone chanced upon such a version , care to share?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi mae29,

want check with you, after you install the lights with remote control, do you still install the switches on the wall to on/off the lightings? So additional $100 is what you pay to electrician to top up to the original amount just to install the remote control ? =)

It is very useful & convenient...I can place the remote control device beside me when I sleep and I can just switch the lights ON or OFF at my finger tips without waking up and walking around the room!!

Is it expensive? Roughly how much?

Interesting... I may do it, still looking around

It is very useful & convenient...I can place the remote control device beside me when I sleep and I can just switch the lights ON or OFF at my finger tips without waking up and walking around the room!!

I have recently installed the remote control for the lightings in my Master Bedroom:

grq5_008_uc4it.jpg

This photo shows how the device is programmed for the various lights:

grq5_992_uc4it.jpg

I paid around $100 to the Electrician who installed our electrical works....and he supplied me the control device.

If you are contemplating of getting similar control for the lightings in your house, please tell your electrician in advance as this needs special wiring / programming.

You can visit my t-blog for information:

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?s=...st&p=613549

Edited by mae29

Harmony RF is only for its IR extenders and cannot be used on any RF appliances or devices - it has no RF learning capabilities and if im not wrong, its on the 413Mhz freq.

I've not had the opportunity of a mains cut-off but i do believe that the preset memory stays regardless.

I'm also looking for something similar. Where can u get the clipsal ulti? Thanks v much

Harmony RF is only for its IR extenders and cannot be used on any RF appliances or devices - it has no RF learning capabilities and if im not wrong, its on the 413Mhz freq.

I've not had the opportunity of a mains cut-off but i do believe that the preset memory stays regardless.

Just to share my experience on this matter:

I have Clipsal ULTI lighting in my home utilising a RF remote to control lighting around my home.

The basic system allows for mood lighting and can be dimmed. It remembers the last dim settings so your next switch-on will be your last dim setting.

Mood lighting allows you to configure a set of lightings with set dim settings to be turned on/off accordingly to your set-up (ie if i have a mood setting called "Relax", I would have Outer 4 downlights set at approx 30% dim lighting on. When I put it on "Movie" setting, it immediately switches to my front console lightings with 30% dim.)

The remote control is RF based so you can use the remote anywhere in your home (especially if you have a large compound) without the need of line-of-sight. So if my wife is walking towards our room, i'll just turn on the room lights for her as she's walking over. Occasionally i'll like to prank her by turning the lights on/off when shes in there alone but i suppose i was the only one enjoying it.

The bad part of this setup is its rather expensive. I reckon i've spent about $1K? The remote itself cost about $200+ and has to be ordered taking few weeks. For dimming purposes, you'll also need to use incandescent bulbs, halogens, arc lamps or Philips CFL types which are also costly. However, bear in mind that CFL dimmable types does not allow anything <5-10% dimming. When it goes lower than that, the next time you turned in on, there'll not be any light until you turn up the dim setting back to about 80% before the light will come back.

You'll also not be able to program the remote into your universal remote (unless you have a crestron or am deciding to have a Pro setup your entire home automation) since all universal available in Singapore currently only allows for IR type learning only.

Summary:

Pros:

1. Mood lighting for different occasions

2. Everything dimmable at your finger tips via remote or on the lighting switches

3. Trustworthy brand - Clipsal-Schneider Electric

4. Elegant switches with a low illuminated light on the buttons so you can always find them at night (very useful when you need to go toilet at night without waking up your partner) by not turning on the main lights or all the lights!

5. Bound to impress everyone who comes over

6. Easily replacable switches which will fit into any of your current switches.

7. Setup is easily configured without the need of proprietary standards like X10, C-bus, etc.

8. Remote control can activate lighting at faraway places without need of LOS.

Cons:

1. Rather expensive setup costs

2. May run high power costs if you do not dim, or turn on all lights frequently since you might be using incandescent/halogen bulbs. You may choose to use CFL types if you don't plan on dimming frequently and that'll save you energy costs but...

3. If using CFL types, you'll not be able to dim lower than 5-10% due to limitation of CFL types. When you're on lowest setting, the lights will not come on the next time you switched them on. You'll have to turn the dim settings back up to about >80% for the lights to come back on before dimming it back down again. CFL limitation again.

4. RF remote if needed cannot be programmed into Universal Remote due to it being RF based.

5. Switches need to order and might take weeks.

If anybody need more info, i'll be more than willing to share my experiences although i might not log into the forum as often now.

interesting setup u have. can it be controlled by logitech harmony series of remote which has RF-capability? also if the mains switch is cut, does the preset memory remain or need reprogramming like the philips easyscene?

Just to share my experience on this matter:

I have Clipsal ULTI lighting in my home utilising a RF remote to control lighting around my home.

The basic system allows for mood lighting and can be dimmed. It remembers the last dim settings so your next switch-on will be your last dim setting.

Mood lighting allows you to configure a set of lightings with set dim settings to be turned on/off accordingly to your set-up (ie if i have a mood setting called "Relax", I would have Outer 4 downlights set at approx 30% dim lighting on. When I put it on "Movie" setting, it immediately switches to my front console lightings with 30% dim.)

The remote control is RF based so you can use the remote anywhere in your home (especially if you have a large compound) without the need of line-of-sight. So if my wife is walking towards our room, i'll just turn on the room lights for her as she's walking over. Occasionally i'll like to prank her by turning the lights on/off when shes in there alone but i suppose i was the only one enjoying it.

The bad part of this setup is its rather expensive. I reckon i've spent about $1K? The remote itself cost about $200+ and has to be ordered taking few weeks. For dimming purposes, you'll also need to use incandescent bulbs, halogens, arc lamps or Philips CFL types which are also costly. However, bear in mind that CFL dimmable types does not allow anything <5-10% dimming. When it goes lower than that, the next time you turned in on, there'll not be any light until you turn up the dim setting back to about 80% before the light will come back.

You'll also not be able to program the remote into your universal remote (unless you have a crestron or am deciding to have a Pro setup your entire home automation) since all universal available in Singapore currently only allows for IR type learning only.

Summary:

Pros:

1. Mood lighting for different occasions

2. Everything dimmable at your finger tips via remote or on the lighting switches

3. Trustworthy brand - Clipsal-Schneider Electric

4. Elegant switches with a low illuminated light on the buttons so you can always find them at night (very useful when you need to go toilet at night without waking up your partner) by not turning on the main lights or all the lights!

5. Bound to impress everyone who comes over

6. Easily replacable switches which will fit into any of your current switches.

7. Setup is easily configured without the need of proprietary standards like X10, C-bus, etc.

8. Remote control can activate lighting at faraway places without need of LOS.

Cons:

1. Rather expensive setup costs

2. May run high power costs if you do not dim, or turn on all lights frequently since you might be using incandescent/halogen bulbs. You may choose to use CFL types if you don't plan on dimming frequently and that'll save you energy costs but...

3. If using CFL types, you'll not be able to dim lower than 5-10% due to limitation of CFL types. When you're on lowest setting, the lights will not come on the next time you switched them on. You'll have to turn the dim settings back up to about >80% for the lights to come back on before dimming it back down again. CFL limitation again.

4. RF remote if needed cannot be programmed into Universal Remote due to it being RF based.

5. Switches need to order and might take weeks.

If anybody need more info, i'll be more than willing to share my experiences although i might not log into the forum as often now.

Got the lights from JB today...total cost 2.4K Ringgit. 29 downlights,21 Phillips T5 4feet lamps,2 Alpha S100 heaters,door bell,kitchen,toilets lights.

The Phillips T5 4feet cost is RM29 each....not sure abt Sg price.

Also got a 4 gang remote lighting switch IR mode at RM90.China brand though...so fingers crossed. Got this from LC (lighting center) midway to the Tampoi lighting center where I got rest of the stuffs.

btw,the shop will provide a much lowered bill for custom taxes....so be sure to request for this.