Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
gwenie

Sweet Home Complete Makeover~!

geez..why the camera...?

i like the jacuzzi~! :)

To cater for future. We reckon we will need it when we have a kid in future. In fact, alot of ppl installed once they employed maids but that's gonna be troublesome to have the cables concealed. So better to have the cables run concealed first. We recommend those doing renos to think about it and run the cables and hide it in the false ceiling or L-box first. When need, then cut hole pull out and patch back. :)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Wah...very professionally done on the wiring.

Can you share on how do you wire your whole house with data network? Any diagram? So you basically only use the following gadgets to make it work: maxonline box, router, data switch. Did you contractor know what to do in wiring the house? How did you conceal the cabling?

For the opennet, what do we need to install inside the house in preparation?

I believe your DVR is the media server? Is the model good? I am looking at another brand called AC Ryan. Have you heard?

I am planning to do the wiring for my new house. Appreciate if you can share with me.

Wah...very professionally done on the wiring.

Can you share on how do you wire your whole house with data network? Any diagram? So you basically only use the following gadgets to make it work: maxonline box, router, data switch. Did you contractor know what to do in wiring the house? How did you conceal the cabling?

For the opennet, what do we need to install inside the house in preparation?

I believe your DVR is the media server? Is the model good? I am looking at another brand called AC Ryan. Have you heard?

I am planning to do the wiring for my new house. Appreciate if you can share with me.

Hi mshary,

My hubby is the one that pre-laid the data cables. To answer your questions:

1. Each location point comes with 2 x cat5e or cat6 wires, 1 for data and 1 for telephone. You have to decide where do you wish to install the router/switch.

- You can pull all the 1 pair of cat5e from each point, all to your study room, and the main telephone line (coming from outside) also into your study room (so u can connect your singnet modem) and also the SCV point into your study room (for MOL cable modem). Thats what we did. But there's alot of methods so it really depends on your own preferences.

2. We used the following gadgets: MOL cable modem, Linksys wifi router, 16port linksys switch, "3 CO - 8 EXT" PBX box for telephone switching.

3. Contractor won't know much about it. They know how to place out the wire for you to terminate the ends for sure, but if ask them about setting everything up, maybe they not so into this. My hubby is the one that instructed them to leave the wires out from the walls/ceilings and he terminated it himself.

4. My cablings goes underground and in the L-boxes. Using pvc & flexi tubes.

5. For opennet, nothing much you can do. It depends on where they are going to enter the wiring from outside into your house. For ours, we want them to come in via the existing SCV cable's hole and since from the inside, it's covered by our carpentry, we need to pull the wire out for them first else there's no way they can pull in except to drill another hole at the living room and my opennet socket will be placed at the living room which is not what we wanted.

6. DVR is Digital Video Recorder. It is used for CCTV recording only. Media Server are those small PCs that can output videos/pictures/musics/web into your TV using HDMI/RCA/S-video cables. And you can network the media server into your network so you can use the media server to install the video streaming software such as pptv and have it output into your TV directly to watch rather than on the small monitor. There are 2 different machines. We havent got the media server yet but it is easily available in ebay for less than 300sgd and also in SLS. Thats why we laid data cable for every room's TV point. All shows can be seen in each room! AC Ryan, nope, never heard. There's simply too many similar product with different names. Always rem, cctv stuff all from china. haha. They tell you taiwan, but check out their parts' sources, all from china.

wow... your hubby is quite an expert in this. Just curious, did he use Cat6 or Cat5e cables?

Cat5e.

here's what his words:

As our house cabling is extensive, we got phone and data and that totaled up to 16 cables going underground and in order to keep the ground height low, only 1/2 inch pvc tube are used and that is pretty squeezy for the cables.

If cost and floor height (or cabling is concealed in the ceiling) is not an issue, of course by all means go for Cat6. The 200mhz cable standard and spline within the cord helps to keep the cable from crosstalk effects. And not forgetting that we are stepping into the next generation of internet connectivity (opennet), it will be pushing the cat5e to their best performance at gigabit rates. Using cat6 gives more allowance for even higher performance than what opennet can do... (Although i seriously doubt we be even hitting 50% of what cat5e is capable of... LOL).

Realistically speaking, it doesn't make any significant difference to your everyday's facebooking and pp video streaming, be it cat5e, cat6 or fiber. Check your network card, i doubt it will even be a gigabit card. A cat5e can handle high constant 100base data traffic flow, the slowing down is caused by your PC unable to handle the 100mbps gush, not the cable.

A box of cat5e goes for about $90 for 1000ft. Cat6 goes for double.