Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
cjloh

Kwan Yin Statute

Me and hubby bought a reasonable sized wooden statue at 200 plus only lehz.. Can't remb the place thou, need to check wif my dad as he was the one who brought us there.. :P

Is yours a 16" statue?

Edited by edenstrauss

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
can i buy a NEW quan yin statue (already house got one - porceline) ?

Eg perhaps i want those wooden ones or jade type

Is there a process to "replace" ?

Buddha lives in one's heart ... it doesn't matter whether ur guanyin is not as nice as the one in the temple... buddhism discourages cravings & emotional attachment (in your case, a more beautiful statue of guan yin). To worship a beautiful guanyin statue at home is not enough. U've got to practice what guanyin has inspired in humans & live your religion as a philosophy... as a way of life.

Edited by edenstrauss

from what i heard. husband and wife should go to choose the statue together. and the statue must look pleasing to both of them before buying. if 1 party likes it and the other doesn't. dun buy. my friend followed this idea and spent like weeks choosing their statue. in the end, they found 1 which both of them like and they happily invited it back to their place.

I was told the same thing as U're mentioning now 10 years ago. But according to my relatives, who bought their statues from the rochor shops, they actually had the luck to bump into 1 uncle whose a medium. He was visiting his friends (the owners) & told them that the husband must choose the female deity's statue & the wife chooses the male deity's statue. He claimed that if the wife doesn't like the statue, then no choice...

He recommended the statues based on the couple... I wasn't there to witness it myself but our relatives told us that the few that he recommended was more or less "compatible" with the couples who bought them. And the strange thing was I noticed that the guys who chose the guanyins would choose the statues that more or less resembled their spouse's expression... when I went to my aunt's housewarming at her new condo, the guan yin statue has eyes that looked like hers!! droppy eyes! The other uncle who chose the guanyin also chose one that had his wife's facial expression... all of us found it odd...

My mother inlaw's guanyin statue (porcelain) was also chosen by my father inlaw without her involvement. It was a really small porcelain statue but the facial expression belonged to my mother inlaw who is 89 this year. The strangest thing is that the rosy areas seemed to have expanded over years. Face was very glossy. People who visited her would say things like the guanyin is definitely present in the statue.

But there is really no right or wrong answers to how to choose the statues... just sharing something useful based on experiences.

hi any reasons behind not choosing one with a vase pointing downwards? if mine's detachable

i can use blue tac put it right up. no problem right?

In Buddhism, the vase that points downwards is the "shui-yue guanyin" (shui: water; yue: moon). If you follow the buddhist practices closely, there will not be any concerns for a vase pointing downwards.

But for ordinary folks worshipping at home, it is not advisable to have a vase pointing downwards. The older folks felt that it meant giving away everything: $, luck, job/ biz opportunities, health, etc... Which according to Buddhism, is utter nonsense & superstitions.

Based on what I heard, it is surprising that the downward vase is indeed not too good...

In Buddhism, the vase that points downwards is the "shui-yue guanyin" (shui: water; yue: moon). If you follow the buddhist practices closely, there will not be any concerns for a vase pointing downwards.

But for ordinary folks worshipping at home, it is not advisable to have a vase pointing downwards. The older folks felt that it meant giving away everything: $, luck, job/ biz opportunities, health, etc... Which according to Buddhism, is utter nonsense & superstitions.

Based on what I heard, it is surprising that the downward vase is indeed not too good...

Hi Edenstrauss,

Can you PM the wholesaler's contact? For worshipping at home, is it advisable to have a Thousand Hands Kuan Yin? Any meanings if Kuan Yin is standing, sitting in a cross-legged or sitting in a royal ease posture? How about Kuan Yin on a lotus or dragon?

Thank you.

Me and hubby bought a reasonable sized wooden statue at 200 plus only lehz.. Can't remb the place thou, need to check wif my dad as he was the one who brought us there.. :P

Jeffcraze... Can u PM the place? :)

Thank you.

Hi Edenstrauss,

Can you PM the wholesaler's contact? For worshipping at home, is it advisable to have a Thousand Hands Kuan Yin? Any meanings if Kuan Yin is standing, sitting in a cross-legged or sitting in a royal ease posture? How about Kuan Yin on a lotus or dragon?

Thank you.

Hi CoffeeMan, I've just PM-ed u the wholersaler's contact & tried answering the other questions to my best ability (but I do not have answers to all the different versions of GY). U can PM me directly in future. cheers! :yamseng:

Edited by edenstrauss

Hi CoffeeMan, I've just PM-ed u the wholersaler's contact & tried answering the other questions to my best ability (but I do not have answers to all the different versions of GY). U can PM me directly in future. cheers! :yamseng:

Thanks for your reply :rolleyes:

Does anybody have any ideas what it means when the Kwan Yin statue carries a book or scroll in one hand?

Kpo to steal the thread- the scoll is called "Lotus Sutra", 莲花经 and have many other names, witten Before Christ. Long long story to tell......

Edited by bepgof

When choosing, look at GuanYin eye, some look far, some look abit downwards...it depends on you faith to have one...take time to choose, cannot be hurry.

Hi... actually alot of places easy to buy guan yin statue... neighbourhood shops have sell mah...

see which type of guan yin u want to pray.. i dun think is difficult to find a guan yin statute... take ur time to choose..

and most importantly is when u see e guan yin statue must fate n u must like e expressions of e guan yin...

When choosing, look at GuanYin eye, some look far, some look abit downwards...it depends on you faith to have one...take time to choose, cannot be hurry.

does eye position matter?