Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
breadman

Question About Lighting

Dear all, got a few questions on lighting here :)

1. Are three 20w fluorescent bulbs light output equivalent to one 60w fluorescent bulb? Equal in brightness? But 3 bulbs at certain angle should distribute the light better? I can't really wrap my head around this..

2. Also, which would be more energy conserving? Does the 3x 20w take more power to start-up and stay lit or is it the other way round?

3. For ceiling fans, is those 3x angle lights or those half burger lights brighter?

Thanks for your comments in advance :)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi, very new in lightings. Currently hall go 3 X 36 PLL ceiling lights. After 3 mths, 2 blow out.

Got the supplier to change free. Now this same 2 blow out again. Sian liao :(

Though of changing to track light with energy savings lamp ....like those er... tornado.

Don't tell me to use LED, cos don't wanna spent too much. I intend to stay this hse for another 3 yrs only. Any recommendation of lightings model number or shops.

My previous light bought at lightings.com.sg . Don't want to use them TIA :)

Bro Breadman.

I state what i noe.

See the philips website on their CFL compact fluorescent tornado lights, they state their 12W can give the same brightness as XXw.

1. Distribution on the light depends on the angle and reflector if any.

2. 12w x 60 = 72w/h = 0.072kw/h ..........1kw/h is 24cents currently?

3. Ceiling light i confirm u those burger lights not bright. 3 or 5 lamp type brighter.

fyi, normal round tube FL for hall usually pple use 40W. if u can use 3 x 12W using lighting kit on the fans, which wat I tot of doing, is only 36w.

Save abit.

Hi, very new in lightings. Currently hall go 3 X 36 PLL ceiling lights. After 3 mths, 2 blow out.

Got the supplier to change free. Now this same 2 blow out again. Sian liao :(

Though of changing to track light with energy savings lamp ....like those er... tornado.

Don't tell me to use LED, cos don't wanna spent too much. I intend to stay this hse for another 3 yrs only. Any recommendation of lightings model number or shops.

My previous light bought at lightings.com.sg . Don't want to use them TIA :)

Hi Check the balast. You may be have a balast that is of higher waltage then you lamp, or thr balast is not working properly.

Edited by CS70

i'll be better (cheaper and more energy efficient) to buy min # of bulbs instead of combination of bulbs.

Remb u're also powering the electronics inside the lamp.

C if i could help you out....

For yr question....

1) No, the brightness of the combine CFL and single FL will not be the same, even if the combine wattage is the same as the single FL tube. The lumens will definately be different.

single FL tubes also hv different types : T5 tube and T8 tube.

The angle of the light distribution will also be different.

The single tube FL will only hv a single angle, whereas the 3x angle light will hv 3 angles.

2) The consumption will depend on what kind of ballast u'll be using for the FL tubes.

Electronics ballast will save more than the coil type.

But the cost of the e-ballast will also be more ex lor.... :o

3) For ceiling fan, light kit with holders will definately be brighter then the round type.

Holder type is like yr downlight, only thing is that it's not conceal.

Round type is like those hamburger light, the brightness is reduce by the cover.

Hope this helps ;)

Cheers pal :drunk:

think i am more towards the 3x 20w equivalent as its exposed so easier to change the bulb :) though not like it needs frequent changing la..

but i am that lazy :D