Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
cannonsiao

How To Get Rid Of Smell On Clothes?

Hi, I just move into my house less than a month and often face problems whereas the clothes which I had washed are smelly. Scenario is like this. I would put my sweaty clothes into pail and fill it up with water and leave it overnight. after that, wash clothes using washing machine plus dynamo liquid detergent. After that hang dry but not direct sunlight cos dun wanna hang outside the kitchen windows. Scared neighbours upstairs will dirty the clothes. So hang it inside the kitchen for 1 day and sometimes 2 days. However, my clothes sometimes will smell.

Is it true that when put clothes inside pail with water overnight, add some lemon slices would help to "kill away" the smell? Or is it that I somehow have to get my clothes out in the sunlight to dry properly???

Pls advise as I know nuts about this..... Thanks.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi, I just move into my house less than a month and often face problems whereas the clothes which I had washed are smelly. Scenario is like this. I would put my sweaty clothes into pail and fill it up with water and leave it overnight. after that, wash clothes using washing machine plus dynamo liquid detergent. After that hang dry but not direct sunlight cos dun wanna hang outside the kitchen windows. Scared neighbours upstairs will dirty the clothes. So hang it inside the kitchen for 1 day and sometimes 2 days. However, my clothes sometimes will smell.

Is it true that when put clothes inside pail with water overnight, add some lemon slices would help to "kill away" the smell? Or is it that I somehow have to get my clothes out in the sunlight to dry properly???

I also have the same problem. My solution was to put the clothes under direct sunlight. It removes all the foul smell. Another alternative is to iron the clothes more thoroughly and then leave it in door to cool dry. Cheers!

I use Napisan to soak sweaty clothes overnight (coz I was also using that for my baby's clothes). Then put everything into the washing machine the next day with all other clothing to be washed. I find that the orange Dynamo smells better than the blue one especially if you need to hang indoors, plus I also add Softlan softener to the clothes.

Another culprit is the wash cycle. Make sure you wash the clothes thoroughly and don't overfill the machine. I normally use a cycle that takes about 1hr20min (front loading washing machine). It helps if you can spin dry the clothes as much as possible so that it dries faster too.

Edited by blue_skies

i never soak my clothes and i never have the chance to dry my clothes out in the sunlight because of the structure of my previous kitchen and current one. i just use TOP detergent, which is suitable for indoor drying. Never experienced any smelly clothes at all. why don't you try this detergent?

I dun think its useful to soak overnight. Clothes tends to smell when I soak overnight and if it takes too long to dry. Usually I do the same thing and hang my clothes in the kitchen. But I got a fan that I put on timer to help dry my clothes faster.

Thanks for the fast replies.... Guess have to try out each and every alternatives and see if it works for me. My wife more kiasu.....she go n buy blue, orange and purple dynamo detergent to try out. hahaha.....

Gundamv: if dun soak overnite, won't my sweaty clothes smell more badly since I left it out in the open??

no issues for me wor. my hubby will leave his sweaty after-golf clothes out for a few days before we washed and it still smells great after washing. Sometimes his clothes kena both rain and sweat and we left it out in the open for a few days too.. disgusting hor? hahahah.... but when it's not time for washing, it's not time lor, so we just leave it like that.

yeah, try different ways and see what's best for you. actually i used dynamo years ago, but realised the smell afterwards quite weird so we stuck to TOP since then.

no issues for me wor. my hubby will leave his sweaty after-golf clothes out for a few days before we washed and it still smells great after washing. Sometimes his clothes kena both rain and sweat and we left it out in the open for a few days too.. disgusting hor? hahahah.... but when it's not time for washing, it's not time lor, so we just leave it like that.

yeah, try different ways and see what's best for you. actually i used dynamo years ago, but realised the smell afterwards quite weird so we stuck to TOP since then.

hi can TOP be used for front load machine? it seems like some brands are more/less suitable for front/top load. am using persil now (supposedly created for front load machines) but i do have a few pcs of clothing where i can't seem to remove the "old sweat" smell :P

I dun think its useful to soak overnight. Clothes tends to smell when I soak overnight....

not all types of laundry detergent/powder is suitable for overnight soaking. that is what causing the smell.

those that are suitable will specifically say so, but will be in the fine-prints...

hi can TOP be used for front load machine? it seems like some brands are more/less suitable for front/top load. am using persil now (supposedly created for front load machines) but i do have a few pcs of clothing where i can't seem to remove the "old sweat" smell :P

they have both types, for front load and top load. previously in my old place, i bought the top load ones, now i buying the front load ones. no issues at all. considering i only do washing once a week..

tonight i go back and smell properly... maybe my nose not working well.. wahahaha.. cos i never detect any sweat smell in those clothes i washed.. or maybe my hubby's sweat smell nice? wahahah...

1. Water helps soften the fibre, but, not water alone. Mix water with detergent, then soak overnight. Water alone will creat foul smell. Try soak cloth with water alone for 2 days & smell it, you will know what i'm talking about. Seem to me, you don't wash cloth before you move to your new place?

2. Ventilation is important, sunlight kills some bacterias, temperature rise from sun radiation helps evaporate water particles, but air ventilation is the one bring away the water particle (so cloth become "dry")

3. Avoid cooking while cloth in kitchen, or cloth in kitchen then don't cook.

Edited by bepgof

for removal of sweat smell. u can try using penguin sports wash. i got it from running lab at velocity.

We never soak clothing, 1st got foul smell, 2nd, make cloth soft and worn out easily.

For dirty white cloth, we pour hot water then scrub dirty areas.

actually,for sweaty clothes, better to let them air dry rather than soak in water... seems soaking in water will "fix" the smell into the clothes. I used to do this when I lived in Denmark and went to the gym/run. If you want to soak, soak in a tub with detergent but never with water alone.

Get those detergent that says ANTI BACTERIA and INDOOR DRYING.

For Top and Dynamo, I used the yellow bottle, both works fine for indoor drying, no smell.