Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
3monster

Solar Lights For Balcony And Planters

Hi all

I am looking for solar lamps to light up one end of my balcony & planters. I have heard that Solar LED lights are not bright enough, but thankfully I do have a power point in the balcony, just that it is off centre, so the other end is poorly lit. I thought the solar light will complement the lighting. And luckily, my planter areas are not that big. Thought of solar lights cos no need to hack walls or re wire.

Anyone knows where can I buy solar lights for outdoor use in singapore? Can i turn it off when I do not need?

Many thanks in advance

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi all

I am looking for solar lamps to light up one end of my balcony & planters. I have heard that Solar LED lights are not bright enough, but thankfully I do have a power point in the balcony, just that it is off centre, so the other end is poorly lit. I thought the solar light will complement the lighting. And luckily, my planter areas are not that big. Thought of solar lights cos no need to hack walls or re wire.

Anyone knows where can I buy solar lights for outdoor use in singapore? Can i turn it off when I do not need?

Many thanks in advance

No so technically & economically feasible at balcony. I'd experimented using a flexible roll-up solar panel producing 900mA, 17V (open circuit) @ abt $300, connected to a 26AH, 12 V lead acid battery($50) and a 12V-dc operate (10W) LED white lamp (~$40) with a on/off switch. Battery is charged during day (depend on sunlight) & discharged (10/12 = 830mA) at night for about 4 hrs.

In less than 3 weeks time , the battery bye bye - found battery to be prematured death - high cycle life and improper control of charging voltage ! The setup also quite messy (panel, battery, wire, switch). MIL & wife making lots of unwanted noise.

Edited by bepgof

Might wanna use wireless remote light fixture. I never use use before

Wireless remote light switch are the most comforting to help turn lights on and off on their own. Instead of having multiple wires that make the installation look untidy, you can install a wireless remote light switch to turn off the lights. The wireless remote light switch communicates between the fixture and switch using radio transmission or using existing power lines.

Dun ask me how much or where to buy. Only find them in the internet.

Thanks Livinstyle :yamseng:

Yes apparently the selffix at Vivo has more than 14 types of solar lamps. Will chk it out.

Also found the following: http://www.sunzhousolar.net/Solar_Garden_Light.html

200, Jalan Sultan# 02-08, Textile Centre,

Singapore- 199018

Tel: +65 6296 8378

Cost for replacing battery is more than paying pub.

Edited by bepgof

Many thanks everyone.

Tho I have yet to visit the SELFIX DIY store at Vivo, I concluded that solar lights are not cheap (at least $100+), & batteries may not last forever?? Also, not very bright

Also if balcony does not get at least few hrs of DIRECT sunlight, battery may not charge fully. The solar panel of the lamp must be exposed to sunlight.

I had thought of wall lights intially, but think that is out cos the solar panel of wall lights is on top & will not get direct sunlight.

So may not be v appropriate for balcony, will be ok for gardens & outdoors. Maybe in a few yrs time, when the technology improves hopefully??

Thanks anyway.

It is not easy to have reliable solar LED light fixture for garden and landscape.

Reason:

1) Built-in battery subject to extreme heat during day-time under the sun (battery do not like hot enviroment)

2) There is a charging cycle for each type of battery, not matter which type, the charging cycle will hit the top before 12 month.

3) LED lighting is only low heat at the light path, the heat is behind the LED light source and for garden and landscape product it is not easy for this heat to escape during operation even in the night.

You will need to search for the correct make brand and model in the market, do not blindly believe the big brand unless they give you warranty direct replacement without question asked. The bigger the company, the more tough you can get a satisfied warranty service.

Hi! If anyone is here looking for affordable solar garden lights, I would strongly recommend trying out Solargator's garden lights. I just bought some solar lights for my garden recently and i found this shop that sells really affordable and quality lights at a cheap price. The lights are really as good as those wired ones, it brightens up my garden and there has been any electrical trip at all. My family and I are very impressed. We also realised that these lights helped us to save money on our electricity bill because they are solar powered. You can check out their website for more information on these lights at solargator.net or visit their shop at 200 Turf Club Road #01-10B S287994

Hope this helps! :)