Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
doubl3a

Overlay Of Common Bathroom Floor & Wall Tiles

I've met a handful of IDs and I said i want to hack both floor and wall tiles but only 1 recommended I can overlay to save cost.

Is it recommended to overlay tiles for common bathroom?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
I've met a handful of IDs and I said i want to hack both floor and wall tiles but only 1 recommended I can overlay to save cost.

Overlay is ok and does indeed save on cost. If the toilet wall tiles are ok and there are only a few broken ones here and there, you can try to ask the contractor if they can replace those broken ones for you using the same/ similar tile (depends also on whether you can still find the same type of tile).

Overlay of the toilet flooring is also just as nice if done properly. I think at end of the day it depends on how much you are willing to spend on your reno :)

I think I would prefer to hack. Overlay may make the space feel smaller. Also since it's a wet area, think if bottom tiles are affected , may affect your new tiles as well.

Hi doubl3a,

To do overlay first the current tiles must be in good condition, in other words the tiles will not pop in long run. if it's really sturdy than overlay will save quite a fair bit of your reno cost. ;)

In my humble opinion Overlays are not really a good idea...as the cement bond between the old tile and the new one is not as strong esp so in the case if your old tile has a "smooth" finish...the bond then will only be at the cement line...between the tiles...also if your block undergoes upgrading any form of vibration caused by machinery may cause your tiles to "pop" i have had friends experience this...some IDs do not even offer guarantee/warranty knowing this..