Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
RimBlock

A Meeting Of East And West In Tampines.

Touch dimmer

catrylightdimmer.png

Remote control for the touch lights allowing you to set 'scenes' so it can control multiple sets of lights.

catrylightswitchremote.png

Not cheap but very nice.

With a bit of imagination, false wall and cash, the need for surface mount can also be removed.

RB

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

oops..can't help u on networking stuff prices. I am a simple folk who uses wireless for surfing. :P

i doubt choo chiang sells networking equipment apart from switches and cables though.. can always call them up.

oops..can't help u on networking stuff prices. I am a simple folk who uses wireless for surfing. :P

i doubt choo chiang sells networking equipment apart from switches and cables though.. can always call them up.

Np and thanks for the link.

As for calling them up, I still find Singlish a bit of a challenge especially with no body language to help like over the phone lah ;) .

May just have to give it a go though.

RB

After doing a bit more investigating I will probably run cat6 cable and terminate at cat5e sockets due to the cost difference between cat5e and cat6 at the moment. I can then change to cat6 sockets when 10Gbit network cards and switches become a more reasonable price.

I am also looking at building a NAS box from an old PC rather than using my DLink 323 and then getting another couple of network cards and bonding them to give multiple Gbps output to the switch.

A 16 port switch to 4 nics on the NAS and the other 12 split between the study, 3 bedrooms, living room and kitchen.

I really have to get this all down on 'paper' ;)

RB

After doing a bit more investigating I will probably run cat6 cable and terminate at cat5e sockets due to the cost difference between cat5e and cat6 at the moment. I can then change to cat6 sockets when 10Gbit network cards and switches become a more reasonable price.

I am also looking at building a NAS box from an old PC rather than using my DLink 323 and then getting another couple of network cards and bonding them to give multiple Gbps output to the switch.

A 16 port switch to 4 nics on the NAS and the other 12 split between the study, 3 bedrooms, living room and kitchen.

I really have to get this all down on 'paper' ;)

RB

I think you may be able to get Cat6 sockets at very competitive prices today. The difference can be up to double the price. You can search for bargains at hardware zones and hear from users where they buy their cat6 sockets, how much it cost and whether they are good.

Cheers!

First appointment to buy went fine as did the appointment with the lawyer (private bank loan so private lawyer).

Second appointment to sell is two days after our return from the UK.

My wife had her second scan yesterday and we have a heartbeat so things are going fine for the new one.

My network plans have ..... grown :P .

This is where we are at for the design stage.

Network-3.png

To purchase the bits I have not already got I am looking at between 1k & 1.5k. No install charges as I will be doing the work myself. Something to look forwards to on my return from the UK. Just have to try to resist the temptation to buy the switch in the UK and hide it from the wife in the luggage :D

RB

A quick update,

We are completing our second appointment to sell today finally.

Network diagram has changed slightly (see below). My Brother-in-law also works for a cable company so I should be able to get the cables and sockets at discounted rates :thumbs up:.

After spending 3 weeks with my parents back in the UK I am finally back in the UK. I also had fun trying to fix their telephone wiring as some DIYer had made a complete mess of the wiring. Now I have a good working knowledge of telephone wiring so I may do those myself as well :notti: .

New network layout.

Network-5.png

RB

erm...still pending quote for the STP~

Might not be able to get it~

FTP as follows:

FTP CAT6 24port patch panel:

3M - $174.40

Clipsal - $225.00

2way Face Plate:

3M - $1.20

OEM - $0.80 / 4way $1.20

Schneider FTP Cable 500mtr - $405.00

Sure u wanna get STP?

I think FTP is costly enuff now as it is already~

erm...still pending quote for the STP~

Might not be able to get it~

FTP as follows:

FTP CAT6 24port patch panel:

3M - $174.40

Clipsal - $225.00

2way Face Plate:

3M - $1.20

OEM - $0.80 / 4way $1.20

Schneider FTP Cable 500mtr - $405.00

Sure u wanna get STP?

I think FTP is costly enuff now as it is already~

Thanks Shu.

RB

Hi RB,

V.nice 3D drawing u have there.

Im also getting a EM at Tamp, now reno is in progress... we r doing a major overhaul... the cost is a staggerring $80k :o

Hi RB,

V.nice 3D drawing u have there.

Im also getting a EM at Tamp, now reno is in progress... we r doing a major overhaul... the cost is a staggerring $80k :o

Thanks Sally.

Where abouts in Tamp are you ?

You have a link to a blog ;) or an item list on what you are having done. It is always good to compare, helps with new ideas.

We are trying to keep strictly to the 37K + white goods (sinks, toilets, taps, showers) and electrical work. It will be hard to keep it below 40K. Stepping up from a 3A to a EM is very tight budget wise for us so the projector is being put on hold but the network is going ahead :D . I am just building the media server now and it should be powerful to take just about anything we throw at it for a few years to come.

Amazon and borderlinks (Citibank) must be very happy with me at the moment but it is so much cheaper than buying local.

RB

A bit more on the network and NAS box I am building for all you geeks out there like me :D.

Home Server

Duties: NAS (SAMBA), DNS, DHCP, Local web server.

Processor: C2D E6500

MBoard: MSI P45-C51

Mem: 2x2GB DDR2 (4GB total)

HDD: Motherboard SATA

- - - - 320GB (Boot)

- - - - 400GB (Upload)

- - - - - -1TB (Backup)

- - - -Dell Perc6ir Raid controller

- - - - -5.6TB (Storage array - raid5 - 5x1.5TB WD cavar green)

Network: 2xIntel GT 1000/Pro NIC

HDD mounting: Icydock 5 bay hotswap internal cage.

Running the array in software was giving quite slow results for transfers so I am now awaiting a 2nd hand PERC6 to be delivered. Hopefully this will be the last bit of hardware I buy for it for a while. I may also add 1 more drive to the array and go raid10.

A friend at work has given me a contact for getting my network switch (around S$450 + import TAX + delivery from the US). Hopefully if they can quote 550->650 then I will buy local. Shops are selling for over S$700.

Ok, enough geeky stuff.......

We are all very excited (the whole family). Only 2-3 weeks to go for the 2nd appointment to buy.

Still need to choose white goods. We have agreed to purchase mid range (cheap but not dirt cheap) sinks / toilets etc, get the same Sims shower we already have with a larger than usual raid shower head and get basic taps. The taps I can replace at a later date. Electrical work will be a minimum with us using extension leads rather than wall sockets. We will swap to more all sockets at a later date.

We also need to choose wall colours. I have no idea TBH so we need to sit down with Henry again and discuss.

Oh and my wife has got over most of her morning sickness. On to the 4th month now. Looks like it will be another boy although not 100% at this point.

What with my Brother-in-laws two boys so far, I think we are trying to build up our own Singapore Armed Forces Family Brigade :P.

RB

Henry called and we have arranged to meet tomorrow to sort out colours.

We will also be hopefully meeting on Sunday to look at sinks etc.

RB

Hi RB,

Took me a few hours reading your t-blog and very well written. Like your 3D and wish you a great reno journey and hope to see more of your reno photos.

35k-40k for an EM reno is a very good deal :drunk: as for mine....100k++ (total overhaul including furniture & fittings) :( .

Hi RB,

Took me a few hours reading your t-blog and very well written. Like your 3D and wish you a great reno journey and hope to see more of your reno photos.

35k-40k for an EM reno is a very good deal :drunk: as for mine....100k++ (total overhaul including furniture & fittings) :( .

Hi Ecokc,

Thanks, I am glad it is of interest of some people otherwise it is a bit pointless me making the effort.

Do you have a t-blog or pictures as I really would love to see what these very expensive renos come out like and wonder at what we could have done at a latter date maybe :good: .

Cheers

RB