Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
RimBlock

A Meeting Of East And West In Tampines.

Pretty certain they're the older ones. The new ones have 525W BASH amp.

SVS PC12-NSD

Using the

Which is the same as in my SB12-NSD.

Oh maan, I'm sure your wife would have freaked if you'd managed to haul the 68lbs giant home. I was just staring at it in the backseat in disbelief that I could possibly own one of these things.

She would have had a nice delivery surprise ;). Having to wait until Saturday (auditioned on Wednesday) was also one consideration in not buying.

Most of the stuff on XP move really quick. We auditioned a pair of 8 yr-old Monitor Audios recently but we picked the Ushers over it because I simply could not accept more floor standing speakers!! Got them brand new at $550 so pretty entry-level but adequate. The Yamaha display set at Harvey Norman was going for slightly over $1k and we couldn't afford that :(

I'm sooooo looking forward to watching Dark City and Apocalypse Now (chopper scene) for the deep bassy scenes!! Maybe a movie night over at my place too! :)

-Ely

Haha, my MS Carnival 1s were entry level at S$180 :D.

I take it the S$550 Ushers were entry level for Usher ?

I am enjoying going through my collection although some discs are a little disappointed now I have a higher level system to what I used to have.

Need to get some more blurays I think :good: .

RB

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Bro ... photo of your rotel?

maybe I should hop over n try some music in ur place ;)

Some pictures here from the guy I bought it from.

Will put my own up tonight if I get the chance. Really need to dig out my other camera.

I am sure a try out can be arranged or if you want to come over for a movie.

Still no movie night takers :dunno:.

RB

SVS PC12-NSD

Using the

Which is the same as in my SB12-NSD.

She would have had a nice delivery surprise ;). Having to wait until Saturday (auditioned on Wednesday) was also one consideration in not buying.

Haha, my MS Carnival 1s were entry level at S$180 :D.

I take it the S$550 Ushers were entry level for Usher ?

I am enjoying going through my collection although some discs are a little disappointed now I have a higher level system to what I used to have.

Need to get some more blurays I think :good: .

RB

Actually mine is the PC 12-Ultra: http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/subwoofers/svs/pc-ultra/PRD_337300_2741crx.aspx Not sure how much it differs from the NSD as hardly any information can be found on it since the arrival of the PC 13 Ultra.

You can read about the Ushers here. That is how it's described by Usher themselves so I'm assuming they're considered entry level for a newly-initiated audiophile. To quite an untrained ear, they sound pretty good - just very crisp and clean, but that could be the tube amp more than the speakers. They complement each other well I think, and a great system for the iPod or computer for the bedroom :)

Amazon was just having another bluray sale - go check it out.

P.S. The Rotel looks sweeeeeeeet!

-Ely

Actually mine is the PC 12-Ultra: http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/subwoofers/svs/pc-ultra/PRD_337300_2741crx.aspx Not sure how much it differs from the NSD as hardly any information can be found on it since the arrival of the PC 13 Ultra.

You can read about the Ushers here. That is how it's described by Usher themselves so I'm assuming they're considered entry level for a newly-initiated audiophile. To quite an untrained ear, they sound pretty good - just very crisp and clean, but that could be the tube amp more than the speakers. They complement each other well I think, and a great system for the iPod or computer for the bedroom :)

Amazon was just having another bluray sale - go check it out.

P.S. The Rotel looks sweeeeeeeet!

-Ely

Ahh, the plus. Even better deal at S$750 then :good:.

So they are entry level for the Usher series. We rarely get to listen to music and certainly not in the bedroom what with the kids watching tv or the like unfortunately. I also rarely listen to music on the PC and having used various amps and speakers have ended up with just a decent set of PC speakers now. Enjoy the new equipment as things change a lot with kids around. Now if I could just buy another apartment for me and one for me and the family then I could have one the way I wanted it and the other setup for the kids :P.

Funnily enough I bought some more blurays from Amazon yesterday. A few movies I have and like but on Bluray rather than DVD. All around US$10.50.

The Rotel is very nice looking but I need to get a 12v trigger cable as the one supplied is too short and has a bite mark which I suspect is from a rabbit (the owner had rabbits caged in the same rooms and we used to have rabbits so I am well aware of their desire to chew cables). The cable is a mono 3.5mm jack. Some people have told me a stereo cable should work so I will grab one today and give it a go. The 12v trigger will auto turn on the power amp when the Yamaha 667 is turned on and turn it off when the Yammy is turned off.

The Rotel has the bright blue ring light around the power button but also comes with a sticker you can put over it to mask the bright light. Seems a shame to do that but it is pretty bright for when watching a movie.

RB

Ahh, the plus. Even better deal at S$750 then :good:.

So they are entry level for the Usher series. We rarely get to listen to music and certainly not in the bedroom what with the kids watching tv or the like unfortunately. I also rarely listen to music on the PC and having used various amps and speakers have ended up with just a decent set of PC speakers now. Enjoy the new equipment as things change a lot with kids around. Now if I could just buy another apartment for me and one for me and the family then I could have one the way I wanted it and the other setup for the kids :P.

Funnily enough I bought some more blurays from Amazon yesterday. A few movies I have and like but on Bluray rather than DVD. All around US$10.50.

The Rotel is very nice looking but I need to get a 12v trigger cable as the one supplied is too short and has a bite mark which I suspect is from a rabbit (the owner had rabbits caged in the same rooms and we used to have rabbits so I am well aware of their desire to chew cables). The cable is a mono 3.5mm jack. Some people have told me a stereo cable should work so I will grab one today and give it a go. The 12v trigger will auto turn on the power amp when the Yamaha 667 is turned on and turn it off when the Yammy is turned off.

The Rotel has the bright blue ring light around the power button but also comes with a sticker you can put over it to mask the bright light. Seems a shame to do that but it is pretty bright for when watching a movie.

RB

Ooh, I know that bright blue light - it can be annoying when watching movies on a projector. I did use a sticker on one but like you, felt it was a shame because it's such a cute feature. Like how I am transfixed by the "magic eye" of the amp :P

Pity about the cables. Is a 12v trigger cable expensive? I got Better Cables Silver Serpent ones free with the SVS sub, and I know cables can be really pricey. At this point, I've lost track of how many HDMI cables I need, so am going to ask the KEC guy to bring several of the Audio Quest ones (cheaper - 3 for $190), then we'll pay as needed during installation. Media players, X-Box, PS3, SCV, receiver, blu-ray player etc. *head hurts* Going to be a challenge when I finally put it all together and set up the networking.

Also got the Onkyo 609 over the 608~ Do you think $200 is worth the upgrade? ><

-Ely

Pity about the cables. Is a 12v trigger cable expensive? I got Better Cables Silver Serpent ones free with the SVS sub, and I know cables can be really pricey. At this point, I've lost track of how many HDMI cables I need, so am going to ask the KEC guy to bring several of the Audio Quest ones (cheaper - 3 for $190), then we'll pay as needed during installation. Media players, X-Box, PS3, SCV, receiver, blu-ray player etc. *head hurts* Going to be a challenge when I finally put it all together and set up the networking.

Also got the Onkyo 609 over the 608~ Do you think $200 is worth the upgrade? ><

-Ely

The trigger cable is just a mono 3.5mm -> 3.5mm jack cable. If the stereo one works I can just get a cable you would use for plugging in an iPod or the like to a HiFi. Few dollars should do it.

I really would not bother with the audioquest cables if you are not doing a projector run. Get some Amazon Basics cables at around US$10 each as they will be just as good regardless of what KEC tell you. I did a cable shoot out with three cables inc my own projector audioquest one. There are no visible differences. You cannot see differences with colourspace or sharpness in the digital realm whatever KEC say. If you do then either the test is flawed (possibly deliberately) or the cable is faulty. The HDMI process first does a handshake between the source and the amp/display. From this is determines the max resolution and preferred colourspace of the display. Next you get the handshake for setting up the encrypted signal (HDCP) and then it will start sending the signal. If the DCC line in the cable is damaged or there is not enough power on the 5v line which powers the initial handshake, the wrong colourspace and / or resolution can be set. This would be very unusual and if this happens then the cable is faulty and should be replaced. The only other issues with the picture would be white pixels (sparkles) appearing in the picture, green / coloured blocks in lines across the screen or loss of sound / picture. The only difference a more expensive HDMI cable will give over a cheaper one if both are working correctly is possibly better build quality. This is true at short lengths. At longer lengths it is usually better to go for a better cable past 10+ meters.

Alternatively, if you feel the need to spend S$190 for 3 cables then give me the cash and I will get 3 cables for you and may even give you a S$20 discount whilst guaranteeing the picture quality will be the same as the audioquest to the point that if you blind tested the installers from KEC they would not be able to tell the difference ;) .

The S$200 upgrade for the 609 really depends on the extra features it supplies over the 608 and how much they are worth to you. The replacement for my 677 does not have pre-outs any more so it would have been a step down for me. What is the difference.

RB

Hey RimBlock!

I have a question for you regarding the placement of your projector.

I'm thinking of back wall-mounting my projector, but i'm just wondering if people were to be standing and playing with wii motes or even kinect, in the middle of the room, will they block the image from the projector to the screen?

do you face such problems?

Thanks!

Edited by csingeu

Hey RimBlock!

I have a question for you regarding the placement of your projector.

I'm thinking of back wall-mounting my projector, but i'm just wondering if people were to be standing and playing with wii motes or even kinect, in the middle of the room, will they block the image from the projector to the screen?

do you face such problems?

Thanks!

I do but then I am quite large, I mean tall, no lets face it.... large(ish) as well,.... I need to get back to the gym :P ....

My head blocks the bottom of the image but my kids playing do not block it at all even when standing on our coffee table (solid wood and granite 2 foot high they are in no danger, just for anyone concerned).

We could have mounted it higher if we did not have the ceiling fan. The closer you are to the projector the less the influence so right next to the projector slightly to one side of the lens should be fine for just about anyone. Standing close to the screen will have a greater blocking effect of course.

This is a downside of projectors especially when you are big... err, I mean tall ;).

RB

Thanks RB for the info. I would be sitting at my computer and start working on my renovation budget. I know it's going to be hard to work at tight budget of something around $30k. But nonetheless I will still try.

As I read your blog, I realize u spend around $37k for renovation? I like your stair case design but my wife thinks that the glass panels along the stairs is not feasible and may get damaged when moving furniture up and down the stairs.

Ok, I have half the info for you. The gate is wrought iron and cost around S$380. My wife knows who supplied it and fired off the name to me but as I was not at the computer and had no pen or paper handy I failed to record it. I will try to get it again tonight.

RB

I do but then I am quite large, I mean tall, no lets face it.... large(ish) as well,.... I need to get back to the gym :P ....

My head blocks the bottom of the image but my kids playing do not block it at all even when standing on our coffee table (solid wood and granite 2 foot high they are in no danger, just for anyone concerned).

We could have mounted it higher if we did not have the ceiling fan. The closer you are to the projector the less the influence so right next to the projector slightly to one side of the lens should be fine for just about anyone. Standing close to the screen will have a greater blocking effect of course.

This is a downside of projectors especially when you are big... err, I mean tall ;).

RB

Hey RB!

Thanks for the info.

I'm still thinking where to place the projector to have minimal effect of image being blocked.

Currently, I'm looking at doing cove lighting for my living room and mounting the projector on the back wall, like yours.

However, doing the cove lighting, will somewhat lower the ceiling height ard the perimeter of the living room.

And ceiling mounting the projector within the cove lighting L-box perimeter sounds pretty silly too, as i'll be blocking the diffused lighting...

i'm thinking of changing to downlights instead... and ceiling-mounted projector... at least ceiling mounted.. it should be "higher" up, and less likely to block the images, if standing a little too close to the screen?

coz we are thinking of playing "Just Dance 2" on Wii... and it requires pretty big arm movements too... and with 4 people in the living room... chances of blocking the image... is higher...

:bangwall:

how to retain my cove lighting and still able to get a relatively unblocked image, when Wii gaming? hmmm...

Edited by csingeu

Thanks RB for the info. I would be sitting at my computer and start working on my renovation budget. I know it's going to be hard to work at tight budget of something around $30k. But nonetheless I will still try.

As I read your blog, I realize u spend around $37k for renovation? I like your stair case design but my wife thinks that the glass panels along the stairs is not feasible and may get damaged when moving furniture up and down the stairs.

We are renovating for around S$37k not including sanitary ware (toilets / sinks etc) or electrical. I would guess it will be around S$45k in the end with those included.

The stairs picture was of someone elses staircase :(. We still are looking to do ours but it will come to around another S$5k so have to do it at a later date. If you like the glass then you could always arrange for the glass to be added after you move in.

The gates were got from Ho Ho Engineering. I see they have a tread here advising not to use them but we never had any issues. The gate is fine, no issues. The interior doors are fine and cheap but not quite as finished as more expensive doors. They are still better than moulded doors and not far off the price. The hinges are not sunken in to the door though but just screwed to it. Cheap price but some compromises. For us they are not so bad and we have never had any issues so have not needed to be involved with their customer services.

RB

RB

hse bigger, reno definitely cost more

:)

mine 4 rm, also ard 30k excluding all furnitures

i think add up also up to 40k++

Yeah agree. We got a very cheap basic package and kept it pretty basic. What with people spending 80+k for an EM reno, we are happy without the feature walls and the like for now. Can always add in later ;).

RB

Oh, my wife just happend to mention, you know that way women do, that there was a booklet highlighting all the changes expected in Tampines over the next few years. Oh yes.... election time is well and truly on us.

It seems as well as the two new downtown line stations fairly close to us, they are going to be renovating the Tampines Rovers football grounds and surrounding area in to a big community hub :o. More details here. If you click on the 'Download master plan" and go to pages 6-9 you will see the plans for the Hub. Should be really very good although it will take a few years to build. Wonder what is going to happen to the football while the building is going on. Same for the swimming pool.

I don't see our property value going down any time soon :D.

RB