Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
RimBlock

A Meeting Of East And West In Tampines.

Yeah I hear you. Still looking for my Nikon camera though. Still not surfaced but still have a few boxes to unpack :D .

RB

I am slightly better than u. I found my camera! But want to keep all a mystery until the party are over or else nothing to see if all pics are shown. :)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

When 90% are tech stuff then difficult to skim through.

Pics are always nicer than words. :)

MayDream, I agree with u... Becos I m one of those who enjoy looking at post with pictures.

RB, dont get me wrong, I also enjoy reading those tech stuff posted by u.

Haha, you need to skim over the technical bits I think or maybe I should quote them "For Techies", "For normal people" and "For people who are not bothered" :D.

Maybe I should follow Ely and just put up pics of nice things ;).

RB

LOL!

I'm not the one you should be emulating - remember, I'm the one without 3Ds or pics of renovation process? :P

I'll now head off to post some pics of socks I got online...

- Ely

I am slightly better than u. I found my camera! But want to keep all a mystery until the party are over or else nothing to see if all pics are shown. :)

Ha, we are level, I found my camera :D.

MayDream, I agree with u... Becos I m one of those who enjoy looking at post with pictures.

RB, dont get me wrong, I also enjoy reading those tech stuff posted by u.

I love looking at peoples pictures too but with little happening it seems pointless posting pics of the same old things.

I need to put up pics of the HTS with the new amp, the network switch and patch panel now the wires are a bit tidier and maybe the bedroom when the bed is moved and the baby cot is set up waiting for the new arrival.

Apart from that I need to wait for the last of the patching and painting to be done so we can hang some pictures although I am still looking around for a nice big picture for the staircase and some sort of picture or transfer for the stair wall light box.

LOL!

I'm not the one you should be emulating - remember, I'm the one without 3Ds or pics of renovation process? :P

Ahh but you do tempt people so with your online discoveries. Lots of Umm and Ahhh when people see the new pics in you thread I think. My pics are likely to be of network keystone wiring or considering out cash flow at the moment, a Kitkat :D.

RB

Ha, we are level, I found my camera :D.

I love looking at peoples pictures too but with little happening it seems pointless posting pics of the same old things.

I need to put up pics of the HTS with the new amp, the network switch and patch panel now the wires are a bit tidier and maybe the bedroom when the bed is moved and the baby cot is set up waiting for the new arrival.

Apart from that I need to wait for the last of the patching and painting to be done so we can hang some pictures although I am still looking around for a nice big picture for the staircase and some sort of picture or transfer for the stair wall light box.

Ahh but you do tempt people so with your online discoveries. Lots of Umm and Ahhh when people see the new pics in you thread I think. My pics are likely to be of network keystone wiring or considering out cash flow at the moment, a Kitkat :D.

RB

Ah haaaa RB..... Pics Pics Pics.... Kitkat pics also good :sport-smiley-004:

Ah haaaa RB..... Pics Pics Pics.... Kitkat pics also good :sport-smiley-004:

Your wish is my command (give or take the Kitkat :P ).

The Home Theatre set-up with the new power amp.

DSCN1558.jpg

The new power amp (I will get a better picture at some point).

DSCN1559.jpg

Cables still need tidying and you can see the patch of white on the left hand wall which needs repainting (blown plaster so needed the plaster redoing).

RB

Edited by RimBlock

The networking....

The patch panel and switch.

DSCN1553.jpg

What it all is for.

networkpatchsetup.jpg

The more astute will recognise that there are 4 cables for 3 study PCs. This is because the server with all my movies / music / TV shows on has two network cards although I have not properly configured then yet. The green tape is Velcro for gardening from homefix which is much cheaper than the stuff for other uses and works just as well for this job.

The bottom row of ports on the network switch mirrors the ports on the patch panel. The first port on the panel is for MioTV so doesn't go to the switch so bottom row first port on the switch is empty. Second port on the panel foes to the bottom row second port on the switch and so on.

The top row on the switch are for the study room equipment with the first 4 ports for the 2 PCs and the server. The last two are for the networked printer so I can print from any PC in the house to the one printer if I have a network connection (wired or wifi). The last top row port on the switch goes to the larger Singtel router for internet connectivity over the telephone feed (hopefully FTTD Opennet at some point in the future).

Our ID will be confirming date for finishing work on Monday. The work is likely to take two rounds, the first patching / painting / rectifying the most obvious items and the second round for fixing the last outstanding bits. Hopefully it will all be done before the baby pops out to say hello (or more likely "Wahhhhh"). Anytime from now onwards would be considered a normal term birth so we just have to wait doe baby to be ready.

We have collected the baby cot which our youngest used from my Bil who had been using it for his son until recently. I just have to rearrange the master bedroom and then rebuild it which will be the main set of jobs for the weekend.

If there are any specific things people would like pictures of then please let me know. I will also take some more after the painting is touched up and we have hung some photos.

RB

Edited by RimBlock

Hey Rimblock, may need to tap into your expertise soon.... trying to figure out how to have one mio box, but able to watch in 2 tv's in 2 different floors, plus also watch movies that are in our server, plus hook up the HTS in the masterbedroom to play music all over the house.... arrghhhh!!!!!!!!

The networking....

The patch panel and switch.

DSCN1553.jpg

What it all is for.

networkpatchsetup.jpg

The more astute will recognise that there are 4 cables for 3 study PCs. This is because the server with all my movies / music / TV shows on has two network cards although I have not properly configured then yet. The green tape is Velcro for gardening from homefix which is much cheaper than the stuff for other uses and works just as well for this job.

The bottom row of ports on the network switch mirrors the ports on the patch panel. The first port on the panel is for MioTV so doesn't go to the switch so bottom row first port on the switch is empty. Second port on the panel foes to the bottom row second port on the switch and so on.

The top row on the switch are for the study room equipment with the first 4 ports for the 2 PCs and the server. The last two are for the networked printer so I can print from any PC in the house to the one printer if I have a network connection (wired or wifi). The last top row port on the switch goes to the larger Singtel router for internet connectivity over the telephone feed (hopefully FTTD Opennet at some point in the future).

Our ID will be confirming date for finishing work on Monday. The work is likely to take two rounds, the first patching / painting / rectifying the most obvious items and the second round for fixing the last outstanding bits. Hopefully it will all be done before the baby pops out to say hello (or more likely "Wahhhhh"). Anytime from now onwards would be considered a normal term birth so we just have to wait doe baby to be ready.

We have collected the baby cot which our youngest used from my Bil who had been using it for his son until recently. I just have to rearrange the master bedroom and then rebuild it which will be the main set of jobs for the weekend.

If there are any specific things people would like pictures of then please let me know. I will also take some more after the painting is touched up and we have hung some photos.

RB

My heart's-a-flutter when I see all that cables and organisation. A geek's dream. Love your HTS too!

- Ely

My heart's-a-flutter when I see all that cables and organisation. A geek's dream. Love your HTS too!

- Ely

Haha, don't look down the back of the cabinet.... it is a little 'less' organised :D. I know what you mean though. Even though it was very tempting, I am sort of glad I didn't get a full sized cabinet. It would have only been a big waste of space. Would have looked good though ;).

RB

Your wish is my command (give or take the Kitkat :P ).

The Home Theatre set-up with the new power amp.

DSCN1558.jpg

The new power amp (I will get a better picture at some point).

DSCN1559.jpg

Cables still need tidying and you can see the patch of white on the left hand wall which needs repainting (blown plaster so needed the plaster redoing).

RB

Love it, love it, love it. All looks very purposeful and "mean"...you need to get some wall bunnies with attitude though :P

Love it, love it, love it. All looks very purposeful and "mean"...you need to get some wall bunnies with attitude though :P

Ha-ha, the projector screen covers their poor innocent eyes when any serious movie comes on :D.

I am wondering if I should buy a second lamp as I am using the projector so much. I have worked out with the current usage, the projector lamp should last around 3 years though....

Also noticed my projector has gone from 2.2k (the price I paid) up to 3.3k in KEC and the newer model, the 3600 is now cheaper by around S$600. I wonder why.... I know 3.3k was the price I was originally quoted when I checked 3 months before I finally bought. Seems I was extremely lucky or KEC have a typo on their special offers.

RB

Edited by RimBlock

Ha-ha, the projector screen covers their poor innocent eyes when any serious movie comes on :D.

I am wondering if I should buy a second lamp as I am using the projector so much. I have worked out with the current usage, the projector lamp should last around 3 years though....

Also noticed my projector has gone from 2.2k (the price I paid) up to 3.3k in KEC and the newer model, the 3600 is now cheaper by around S$600. I wonder why.... I know 3.3k was the price I was originally quoted when I checked 3 months before I finally bought. Seems I was extremely lucky or KEC have a typo on their special offers.

RB

I'm about 1/2 way through my first projector bulb's rated hours but can tell you that it doesn't seem that the bulb brightness is as good these days. Noticably dimmer than in the early days and this is in a basement with absolute blackout. Not sure I will replace it though as nowadays it's mainly used by the kids for their XBox and it's now 4 years old so may replace the projector when the itch arises.

RMG

I'm about 1/2 way through my first projector bulb's rated hours but can tell you that it doesn't seem that the bulb brightness is as good these days. Noticably dimmer than in the early days and this is in a basement with absolute blackout. Not sure I will replace it though as nowadays it's mainly used by the kids for their XBox and it's now 4 years old so may replace the projector when the itch arises.

RMG

I also suspect that the question of new bulb or new projector will come up for us at that time. I guess it would depend on how far technology has moved on. Over the last 4 years there have been significant jumps in what is available at more reasonible costs what with BluRay and DTS-HD/Dolby True HD and 3D TV (gonna wait a bit before jumping on that band wagon). It is hard to see what the will hold but there is nothing so obvious on the horizon that I am aware of that will filter down to mid range consumer level in the next 4 years. Of course, I could very easily be proved wrong :D.

RB

The more astute will recognise that there are 4 cables for 3 study PCs.

ok astute I am not. my competence is only up to connecting clearly labelled wires and buying an adapter to plug in my ipad to the tv. i felt so proud of myself until today :P

RB i hereby crown you King of Networking and Cabling or full title King of Home Universal Groundbreaking Expansive Theatre, Infocomm and Technology Systems (See what i did there?)

Edited by hafiizh