Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kelvinangsw

Closing System For Kitchen Cabinet

Hi Folks,

I know that there are many closing system for kitchen cabinet like Blum and hettich. If I want to use any of these closing system,

1) can I just buy these closing system and ask my contractor to install them when he is doing my kitchen cabinet? Or

2) I have to ask to contractor to buy them and then he install them when he is doing the cabinet? Or

3) I have to buy the closing system and ask them to do the kitchen cabinet at the same time.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Just the soft closing system? You have to inform your contractor that you want to get the soft closing system. Whether you buy or they buy is depends on who can get the better price already. Let them know upfront that this is your requirement so that they can cater whatever they need to cater before they start to make your kitchen cabinets. You just have to make sure that what you buy are correct. Because my contractor told me cannot exchange if it's wrong, but he's the one who bought the items la. For those he bought wrongly, he just have to exchange for free because not my fault ma. but i won't know what's your case if you are the one who bought the wrong stuff.

you want soft closing for drawers or casement doors?

Just the soft closing system? You have to inform your contractor that you want to get the soft closing system. Whether you buy or they buy is depends on who can get the better price already. Let them know upfront that this is your requirement so that they can cater whatever they need to cater before they start to make your kitchen cabinets. You just have to make sure that what you buy are correct. Because my contractor told me cannot exchange if it's wrong, but he's the one who bought the items la. For those he bought wrongly, he just have to exchange for free because not my fault ma. but i won't know what's your case if you are the one who bought the wrong stuff.

you want soft closing for drawers or casement doors?

Hi merydith, appreciate your reply :).

Yes. For my 14 feet bottom cabinet, I plan to have them all as pull-out drawers, big and small using either Blum/Hef/SS. For 14 feet top cabinet, it will be normal cupboard with soft closing using either Blum/Hef/SS. Then I plan to have a 2 feet full fledged-cabinet with half top as normal cupboard with soft closing and bottom half as pull out cupboard (like the one in Ikea) using either Blum/Hef/SS.

May I ask which closing system did you buy? I don't mind the brand as long as they work fine ;)

I hearsay that blum only sell to contractor that have been trained by them, not sure if its for the servo system only.

Do share the cost with me when you get them, ths.

Edited by Eurypylus

Hi Kelvin,

I'm using blum soft closing systems and tandembox. Pull out drawers for the bottom cabinets, then the Aventos system plus normal casement open doors on the top, all from blum.

For the pull out drawers, there's different runners for different weight, so plan what you are going to put in the drawers and buy accordingly. My contractor didn't hear me telling them to get the heaviest ones, and now those drawers that have heavy plates and stuff in them cannot close properly. the rest of the drawers work fine though.

as for the casement door soft closing. cannot make it leh... half of the doors cannot close properly.... contractor told me he will check for me, but i didn't hear from him after i've paid up the reno $$.

oh. can buy direct from blum la. but you must know what to buy. and please make sure that the carpenters know how to fix blum. the runners and soft closing hinges might be easy. but the aventos and servo, you need someone more experienced. contractor bought the wrong levers for the aventos and my flip up door just flew open when i touched it. it's suppose to open and hold at any position you want them to. but that got rectified in the end la.

Went to Blum showroom today....pretty neat place! also a pretty neat salesgal! ;0

Ok,I got the clip on dampers for the casement doors for cabinets. Only cost $2.43 ea. Not sure what else is required but I saw how this device clips onto the existing hinge in Ikea.

Blum label this soft closing feature as blumotion.

Similarly for drawers,the soft closing ones come with either extended or normal opening. Those who likes their drawers to open fully,then need to get the extended rails.

Cost is not that expensive. For the normal opening rails with blumotion & capacity of 30kg. A pair cost ~$48 (drawer depth ranges from 270-500mm)

The extended ones cost more. A pair cost ~$88.(270-550mm)

The more heavy duty that can hold 50kg,extended rails cost ~$120-160,depends on the depth.

They also have the servo drives...very cool & hitech feel for kitchen....but very expensive for a typical family.Think was ~$300 for one drawer.

I then went in JB & found a shop that sells the soft closing rails as well. Made in Malaysia & the cost was Rm60 for a pair!!! What a steal....& they worked equally well like Blum....but cannot be sure about their durability. Got all my rails from JB. 5 drawers worth for less than Rm300.

Went to Blum showroom today....pretty neat place! also a pretty neat salesgal! ;0

Ok,I got the clip on dampers for the casement doors for cabinets. Only cost $2.43 ea. Not sure what else is required but I saw how this device clips onto the existing hinge in Ikea.

Blum label this soft closing feature as blumotion.

Similarly for drawers,the soft closing ones come with either extended or normal opening. Those who likes their drawers to open fully,then need to get the extended rails.

Cost is not that expensive. For the normal opening rails with blumotion & capacity of 30kg. A pair cost ~$48 (drawer depth ranges from 270-500mm)

The extended ones cost more. A pair cost ~$88.(270-550mm)

The more heavy duty that can hold 50kg,extended rails cost ~$120-160,depends on the depth.

They also have the servo drives...very cool & hitech feel for kitchen....but very expensive for a typical family.Think was ~$300 for one drawer.

I then went in JB & found a shop that sells the soft closing rails as well. Made in Malaysia & the cost was Rm60 for a pair!!! What a steal....& they worked equally well like Blum....but cannot be sure about their durability. Got all my rails from JB. 5 drawers worth for less than Rm300.

Hi devion23,

Can Blum clip on damper fix to those non-blum hinges? And what is the model no you purchase from them?

Thanks.

Edited by Flatster

Guest airstriker
Hi devion23,

Can Blum clip on damper fix to those non-blum hinges? And what is the model no you purchase from them?

Thanks.

No, it will not clip. Only one Standard type in market.

Hi devion23,

Thanks.

Can use Blum 971A or other third party dampers and fix next to existing hinges...

Edited by neubie

It is only clip on damper V-500. I thought standard commercial hinge could be used for those clip on.....let me check it out.

As for the JB shop, it is situated at Tmn Sentosa, Melodies garden. The name is Aldeco,Ginmit trading.

Here is the website for the products. http://www.ginmit.com/products.html

They have a bigger shop at Johor Jaya,where their warehouse is & most of the products can only be obtained from here directly. If you goto Tmn Sentosa outlet, some items will need to be ordered first & couple of days to collect at Tmn Sentosa outlet....pretty inconvienient for SG shoppers.

To go to the Johor Jaya outlet, need to travel up to Jusco tebrau city, turn into Johor Jaya, 1st traffic junction,turn right & go straight all the way (maybe 5-10mins of drive) till you reach Jln Sutera. Their shop is just along the road at Jln Sutera 47.

Alot of kitchen & toilet accessories & alot more....just go check their website.

Hi Kelvin,

I'm using blum soft closing systems and tandembox. Pull out drawers for the bottom cabinets, then the Aventos system plus normal casement open doors on the top, all from blum.

For the pull out drawers, there's different runners for different weight, so plan what you are going to put in the drawers and buy accordingly. My contractor didn't hear me telling them to get the heaviest ones, and now those drawers that have heavy plates and stuff in them cannot close properly. the rest of the drawers work fine though.

as for the casement door soft closing. cannot make it leh... half of the doors cannot close properly.... contractor told me he will check for me, but i didn't hear from him after i've paid up the reno $$.

oh. can buy direct from blum la. but you must know what to buy. and please make sure that the carpenters know how to fix blum. the runners and soft closing hinges might be easy. but the aventos and servo, you need someone more experienced. contractor bought the wrong levers for the aventos and my flip up door just flew open when i touched it. it's suppose to open and hold at any position you want them to. but that got rectified in the end la.

Hi Merydith, really appreciate you to share your experience. I will take note of the lessons you have gone through. I believe these lessons will really help me in my reno of my kitchen ;)

It is only clip on damper V-500. I thought standard commercial hinge could be used for those clip on.....let me check it out.

As for the JB shop, it is situated at Tmn Sentosa, Melodies garden. The name is Aldeco,Ginmit trading.

Here is the website for the products. http://www.ginmit.com/products.html

They have a bigger shop at Johor Jaya,where their warehouse is & most of the products can only be obtained from here directly. If you goto Tmn Sentosa outlet, some items will need to be ordered first & couple of days to collect at Tmn Sentosa outlet....pretty inconvienient for SG shoppers.

To go to the Johor Jaya outlet, need to travel up to Jusco tebrau city, turn into Johor Jaya, 1st traffic junction,turn right & go straight all the way (maybe 5-10mins of drive) till you reach Jln Sutera. Their shop is just along the road at Jln Sutera 47.

Alot of kitchen & toilet accessories & alot more....just go check their website.

Hey~ seems like they distribute to Singapore too.. any idea where to find here?

Hi,

Need your help and advise on these soft closing devices.

When you installed such soft closing hinges, do the cabinet doors have noise when its approaching almost ''closed'' position?

I been to a showflat. Some doors have this soft ''boom'' noise when almost close, whereas some doors are really silent?

Is this a problem on workmanship?

Appreciate ur advice.

Thanks