Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
robiin

Sleeping Under A Beam

Hi I hear from my Dad that it is not good to sleep under a beam.

There is this room which has an area connected to the window. If extended a bit you could sleep there. However, there is this beam of some sort that covers most of the area.

The room has limited space so sleeping at the window will maximize the amount of free space for other use like putting a bookshelf. Also, I want to sleep next to the window because it has a nice view of the pool and has nice natural lighting if I want to study or read or relax.

1. How true is it that it is bad to sleep under a beam based on which fengshui?

2. Is there a way to counter it?

I know nothing about fengshui and usually I just go with whatever direction my Dad says I should sleep facing/study facing. I believe the beam thing to be a psychological thing and not so much fengshui related. Advice and clarification please.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi I hear from my Dad that it is not good to sleep under a beam.

There is this room which has an area connected to the window. If extended a bit you could sleep there. However, there is this beam of some sort that covers most of the area.

The room has limited space so sleeping at the window will maximize the amount of free space for other use like putting a bookshelf. Also, I want to sleep next to the window because it has a nice view of the pool and has nice natural lighting if I want to study or read or relax.

1. How true is it that it is bad to sleep under a beam based on which fengshui?

2. Is there a way to counter it?

I know nothing about fengshui and usually I just go with whatever direction my Dad says I should sleep facing/study facing. I believe the beam thing to be a psychological thing and not so much fengshui related. Advice and clarification please.

Yes your dad is right to advise against sleeping under the beam.

I did once in sleeping under a beam for 2 years and it was only towards the 2nd year that I had been experiencing many health problems. None of the doctors could explain what led to my poor health conditions and I cured myself in sleeping in another room, without the beam. And I only started shifting my bed position after a friend scolded me for sleeping under a beam.

Another friend whose uncle slept under a beam, died of a stroke within 6 months. He died in the flat for several days and nobody knew until a bad stench was detected near his flat. When the police found him, he was lying in his usual favourite place i.e. under the beam & his mouth had foamed with nose bleeding.

I'm not sure if it's coincidental but there were many incidences in which people fell sick after sleeping after beams for a very long time. In Fengshui, it is akin to getting chopped into half by a giantic knife!

Edited by edenstrauss

Yes your dad is right to advise against sleeping under the beam.

I did once in sleeping under a beam for 2 years and it was only towards the 2nd year that I had been experiencing many health problems. None of the doctors could explain what led to my poor health conditions and I cured myself in sleeping in another room, without the beam. And I only started shifting my bed position after a friend scolded me for sleeping under a beam.

Another friend whose uncle slept under a beam, died of a stroke within 6 months. He died in the flat for several days and nobody knew until a bad stench was detected near his flat. When the police found him, he was lying in his usual favourite place i.e. under the beam & his mouth had foamed with nose bleeding.

I'm not sure if it's coincidental but there were many incidences in which people fell sick after sleeping after beams for a very long time. In Fengshui, it is akin to getting chopped into half by a giantic knife!

At least now there are analogies to back it up.

it is also not good to sit under a beam. example: putting ur sofa under a beam to watch tv over long periods

Just to elaborate further on these: beam, door, arrow, knife edge, stair case, T junction.....

This is a "有形" influent (exerts upon) the "无形" issue, in fs. The degree of "influence" is subjective thus varies to individuals.

"有形“ refers to beam, door, arrow, knife edge, stair case, T-junction....all the so called "bad" sha. Or, micro-level fs

“无形” refers to human being's mental health, or mental state.

The influence/induce to mental health is not definite or absoute. He who reads/see the “有形” as ordinary objects and nothing special, will have no influence to him. He who reads/see the “有形" as big as the "cow cart wheel", and if, these "cow cart wheels" not removed/solved/settled...a shadow will form and cast into his mental health, thus affecting his judgements in daily life.

Hope the above serves as an "insight" as to why cannot do this, cannot do that.....

Macro-level fs beyonds mental health.

Welcome comments. :deal:

Edited by bepgof

it is also not good to sit under a beam. example: putting ur sofa under a beam to watch tv over long periods

oops mine is under the beam but i seldom see tv so it is fine, but strangely, whenever i sit there for a while, i will defintely fall alsleep, even i am full of energy at that moment, don't know whether this is the effect.

oops mine is under the beam but i seldom see tv so it is fine, but strangely, whenever i sit there for a while, i will defintely fall alsleep, even i am full of energy at that moment, don't know whether this is the effect.

Hi muffin,

I think u could be extremely tired without realising it.

My sofa is also placed directly under the beam & my hubby falls asleep immediately when he sits on the sofa (including any sofas, even those on display in furniture malls). My sinseh said that his body is very tired & upon relaxation of his muscles on the sofa/ bed, he falls asleep instantly!

hmmm ....if u look at most of the hdb flats almost every room will also have a beam on top of the room walls...

our masterbed rm bed's headboard being quite thick is put against one side of the wall with a big beam ontop see the pic below..

_MG_4671-1.jpg

Also, because we got a false ceiling to do a cove light but the false ceiling was'nt far out enough, the edge actually "chopped off" at our legs ....

What my FS master advised us to do eventually is ... get 3 "Hu Lu", 2 to hang at the side of the wall with the beam on top and 1 to be placed in the cove light area hidden and also make sure that my wife does not sleep near to the window side else her health will be affected..... also he explained that the beam will cause headaches and the false ceiling edge will cause our legs to be very "suan" tired ...

hmmm ....if u look at most of the hdb flats almost every room will also have a beam on top of the room walls...

our masterbed rm bed's headboard being quite thick is put against one side of the wall with a big beam ontop see the pic below..

_MG_4671-1.jpg

Also, because we got a false ceiling to do a cove light but the false ceiling was'nt far out enough, the edge actually "chopped off" at our legs ....

What my FS master advised us to do eventually is ... get 3 "Hu Lu", 2 to hang at the side of the wall with the beam on top and 1 to be placed in the cove light area hidden and also make sure that my wife does not sleep near to the window side else her health will be affected..... also he explained that the beam will cause headaches and the false ceiling edge will cause our legs to be very "suan" tired ...

I think Master Hui loves Hu Lu so much, he must have hung a lot of them around his house. He got explain HOW the Hu Lu "interacts" with the beam and edge?. You should have counter proposed to him to put crystals instead. Then he will ask you why crystal and you can start "sian" him around.

Edited by bepgof

Sometimes its not just a matter of hanging all these stupid looking FS ornaments thats not matching to the home, its all the time and hope wasted. Last time many of my girlfriends and me bought all these Fook Lok Sho, Sing Ming and also from this Hui at people's park. Most of us find that all these things didn't help at ALL!! One of my girlfriend had abdomen pain, ended up paying more than a thousand dollars on a stupid Hu Lu from Hui, still finally got to go operation.

Sometimes its not just about hanging all these stupid looking feng shui ornaments thats not matching to the house, its all the time and hope wasted on these things that won't help.

_MG_4671-1.jpg

yes, that's what i was told too... a false ceiling on top of the headboard is a no-no, my fren told me this and immediately i relocated my cove lights away from the bed...

yes, that's what i was told too... a false ceiling on top of the headboard is a no-no, my fren told me this and immediately i relocated my cove lights away from the bed...

A huge beam is also running across my head when I lie in bed. It's even thicker than what's shown in your photos. We didn't install that beam but it came with the flat when HDB constructed it using the prefabrication technology (PFT). Well, we did highlight to our FS master 10 yrs back that we would be sleeping under the beam if he got us to position the bed there. The odd thing was he told us that no matter who sleeps there, it's not going to cause any health issues or problems on the long run.

We've been sleeping under the beam for close to 10 yrs, with our heads "chopped off" but we're lucky there's no side effects thus far. Infact, we slept almost immediately when we retire for the night & slept very well too.

And the "hu-lu" (gourd) thing has been frequently deployed by several FS masters when they encounter issues with sleeping positions in bedrooms - I was told that it's a temporary measure, not permanent cure.

Edited by edenstrauss