Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Leslyn Tan

Homegenious Gloss Or Mat.---- Any Advise ?

glossy will make the place brighter and more spacious.

Yeah your right. I would also prefer glossy but not in bathroom. I would go with rough finish for bathroom.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Yeah your right. I would also prefer glossy but not in bathroom. I would go with rough finish for bathroom.

I also choosing glossy for living room..looks abit like white marble cost $3.40psf. I think when our contractor quote us, we should ask how much psf tiles can we buy. We can get quite decent tiles for $3psf.

What is the material use for skirting?

The contrast colour looks very nice.

hi

we use wooden skirting

for the floor tiles, prices at SBH for less than $3 can only get u beige & cheap looking tiles.

THe whiter the tiles, the more ex the price.

we used rough & matt tiles in the kitchen & bathroom too - non-slippering & not so noticeable when dirty :P

see the contrast in rough/matt tiles and glossy tiles

cimg0183q.jpg

Edited by booksntoys

hi

we use wooden skirting

for the floor tiles, prices at SBH for less than $3 can only get u beige & cheap looking tiles.

THe whiter the tiles, the more ex the price.

we used rough & matt tiles in the kitchen & bathroom too - non-slippering & not so noticeable when dirty :P

see the contrast in rough/matt tiles and glossy tiles

cimg0183q.jpg

Ya I heard the whiter tiles are more expensive. You have very nice contrast for the tiles chosen. Now I am set on glossy for living and matt for kitchen. Like your kitchen door open concept. I think I will ask for wooden skirting too.

Ya I heard the whiter tiles are more expensive. You have very nice contrast for the tiles chosen. Now I am set on glossy for living and matt for kitchen. Like your kitchen door open concept. I think I will ask for wooden skirting too.

Sorry to say "Matt" is kopitiam's tiles. Look dull, affect one's mood particulary when it is in darker color.

Advise you to choose much lighter colour "matt" tiles for kitchen and the tile size as big as possible (say 600mm x 600mm), don't get the 1ft x 1ft or 1ft x 2ft. Glossy surface HG tiles wit darker color is ok for kitchen. The one (matt, dark)shown in kitchen, "absorb" natural light and looks dull and "dead" and can stain easily - exactly the same as mine.

Edited by bepgof

Sorry to say "Matt" is kopitiam's tiles. Look dull, affect one's mood particulary when it is in darker color.

Advise you to choose much lighter colour "matt" tiles for kitchen and the tile size as big as possible (say 600mm x 600mm), don't get the 1ft x 1ft or 1ft x 2ft. Glossy surface HG tiles wit darker color is ok for kitchen. The one (matt, dark)shown in kitchen, "absorb" natural light and looks dull and "dead" and can stain easily - exactly the same as mine.

to clean stained homo tiles, is it possible to paint them white with white emulsion paint (dulux/nippon etc), let the tiles absorb the white, then wash the paint away. this is unconventional, but can it work? disclaimer, i nvr try before.

to clean stained homo tiles, is it possible to paint them white with white emulsion paint (dulux/nippon etc), let the tiles absorb the white, then wash the paint away. this is unconventional, but can it work? disclaimer, i nvr try before.

My 1st hdb with light brown HG, 1ftx1ft, matt. During self-painting, paint "droppings" everywhere on floor, cleaned them the next day. Poured water on floor and sweep, hope paint melted. To my horror, "diluted paint" kena over the tile everywhere. Washed again with some acid, still have some marks, and soak and wash again.

You can try paint over and mop/wash later when "dried". You will know the consequences. Will repeat what I did. Matt, darker color HD tiles really "absorbe" natural light and appeared to be "dull and dead", not recommended for kitchen flooring. HG tiles very hard, raise a hammer over head & let free drop, tiles swee swee.

Edited by bepgof

Experience tells.Now get smarter.

When choose color, I would lay on floor few tiles, stand near and far, with white light(natural) & warm light ambience, spot the differences. A single tile on rack vs same tiles over whole flooring always look quite differently, ambient lighting condition play a part too.

"Matt" surface finishing is good enough for tiolet's flooring, but could be slippery with soapy water. Rought surface tiles good for tiolet's flooring - good for rubbing foots while bathing.

Edited by bepgof

gloss tile is so china-ish.

for modern and minimalist, go for matt. matt doesnt mean rough surface, they can be smoot or honed. go look at http://www.nirogranite.com.my/catalogue.html for some nice ideas, especially the cementum, yura, borogna range.

Are we talking abt HG tile or granite tile?Heavy duty usage (high human traffic), use matt. Indoor use gloss.

Edited by bepgof

gloss tile is so china-ish.

Universal or international defined and agreed upon , or, PERSONAL perception?

Edited by bepgof

Price of tiles depends on the ID/Contractor you use.. ha haha .. the selection you get for $3.50 depends on how much the ID/Contractor want to "eat" you.

Style of tiles depends on preference as well as other constraints and not necessary $$.

I have chosen to use wood like tiles for my bedrm because I cant "afford" but not because of cost, but rather young children. My babies bathe in their room since young. If i had parquet, it will be difficult to do that because babies tends to pay with water in the their tub and wet the flr. And additional benefit of the wood-like tiles, if they are scratch , strained, the damage does not look obvious. Same reason why I chose marble like tiles for the living room, scratches and strains just look natural lines. :)

Cheap or not cheap looking, depends on the overall reno and deco.. The wrong fan/light/curtain also make the house look cheap.

Edited by Jgal

Universal or international defined and agreed upon , or, PERSONAL perception?

its personal opinion, i've been to several places in china the tiles are always like that.

well, u cant go wrong with gloss, beige, white, black, just make sure they dont stain.

Go for matt if you want to be different, there are more tones and textures and surface type avaliable. dont need go for the outdoor rough, granite/stone tiles, most floor tiles are porcelein.

Hmm, I chose matt light grey for kitchen and darker grey for toilet...not sure whether maintenance difficult or not.

Agree that tiles look different when they are displayed and when they are on the floor.