Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hi January,

Saying Hi to u ... and welcome to RT...

anyway ... big mirrors will create the classy look ...while smaller mirrors although arty-farty ... will not be as classy ... go stand for a good 30mins infront of the place that is intended for the mirrors and then imagine a big mirror and a small one.... and let ur heart do the talking... :D

actually, it depends on the room size, wall location etc. Sometimes full length mirrors put in the wrong place will make the room look like a strangely positioned fitting room

One has to evaluate the space, function, size etc of the area and decide from there...

being classy isn't about big or small mirrors, it's about the total effect on the room

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Thanks March and Nayugi :)

@March: Got the bed from Le Mercier's at Mohammed Sultan Rd. Let's just say that the listed price was a 5 figure sum though I got it for a more bearable price since my ID is their regular customer. Good furniture doesn't come cheap! We definitely went wayy over budget got the bed so we're gonna have to tighten our purse strings for the rest of the furniture/appliances we get.

In other news, TV console was delivered last Friday.

5070969982_264f6b699e_z.jpg

It's from Lucano (Furniture Mall). Great furniture there, and prompt delivery. I'd highly recommend. There's a bit of problem with one of the closures and some men from Lucano are coming to look at it tomorrow.

No offence but the TV console is a cleaning nightmare imho. The underneath is big enuff to be seen but with all the steelrods here and there, makes it nearly impossible to dust / sweep.....peace out

actually, it depends on the room size, wall location etc. Sometimes full length mirrors put in the wrong place will make the room look like a strangely positioned fitting room

One has to evaluate the space, function, size etc of the area and decide from there...

being classy isn't about big or small mirrors, it's about the total effect on the room

That I totally agree with u..

Thanks for your comments patsy... you seem to know a lot about reno works!

I definitely agree with you, but this evaluation part is not easy. Sometimes you evaluate things to be one way and it turns out to on the contrary. Only an experienced eye would know!

No offence but the TV console is a cleaning nightmare imho. The underneath is big enuff to be seen but with all the steelrods here and there, makes it nearly impossible to dust / sweep.....peace out

Lol. I was just thinking the other day when I bought it, wow this TV console has so many steel rods, very solid!

But I see what you mean! Oh well. I'll get by.

Met up with the main contractor today, and guess what, we spent like 1 hour just trying to decide where the false ceiling is going to be (#$%*&^#$% aircon units!)

We don't wanna do too much cuz the existing ceiling is not that high, only 2.75m. I would say this is on the low end for a condo.

Thanks for your comments patsy... you seem to know a lot about reno works!

I definitely agree with you, but this evaluation part is not easy. Sometimes you evaluate things to be one way and it turns out to on the contrary. Only an experienced eye would know!

Haha, mus be because I move a lot! but no expert, there are many many many here who are much better than I am! I'm just a frustrated interior decorator! So much so I almost cut my finger off DIY'ing an upholstered wall in my MBR!

Haha, mus be because I move a lot! but no expert, there are many many many here who are much better than I am! I'm just a frustrated interior decorator! So much so I almost cut my finger off DIY'ing an upholstered wall in my MBR!

Aw. There's no need to be frustrated. Decorating for me is a creative outlet so it's always something I enjoy doing, although I understand the pressure that comes with it! I read your tblog... I wish you'd taken more pictures of your place in the daytime. :) But it does look warm and inviting at night.

I think the scariest part about renovating is when you sign up with a new ID/Contractor and after spending all the time, effort and money into the reno, the result isn't quite what you had in mind. I remember the very first ID we hired about 10 years ago. His drawings looked fine on paper but when it built it everything looked so massive, it made the place look very full. So much for an ID! After that I've always paid attention to the dimensions of things... perhaps to the point of micromanaging *guilty*

Do you know that until today I still don't know how much the contractor is going to charge for the reno works? I hired a design consultant instead of those id + contractor companies because those companies tend to ask you to build everything. Even the beds. I personally prefer to buy furniture and only build the things which I cannot buy, so the process of deciding which to buy and build has taken quite a while.

I'll be getting the final quote today... Let's hope it doesn't give me a heart attack.

I think the scariest part about renovating is when you sign up with a new ID/Contractor and after spending all the time, effort and money into the reno, the result isn't quite what you had in mind. I remember the very first ID we hired about 10 years ago. His drawings looked fine on paper but when it built it everything looked so massive, it made the place look very full. So much for an ID! After that I've always paid attention to the dimensions of things... perhaps to the point of micromanaging *guilty*

Do you know that until today I still don't know how much the contractor is going to charge for the reno works? I hired a design consultant instead of those id + contractor companies because those companies tend to ask you to build everything. Even the beds. I personally prefer to buy furniture and only build the things which I cannot buy, so the process of deciding which to buy and build has taken quite a while.

I'll be getting the final quote today... Let's hope it doesn't give me a heart attack.

I feel buying furniture instead of built in ones is the harder path to take. You really must have a sense of how it will look when everything is combined together before you buy it.

But I think if done well, the end look will be better as furniture you can buy is usually "higher quality" and better finished than the usual contractor made furniture. The trick is makng them look nice together cohesively.

Yup, one of the things I disliked about my current reno is how big and heavy the overhang cabinet was in my HT room. It did not look so big in the picture.... but cannot change once it is up.

Aw. There's no need to be frustrated. Decorating for me is a creative outlet so it's always something I enjoy doing, although I understand the pressure that comes with it! I read your tblog... I wish you'd taken more pictures of your place in the daytime. :) But it does look warm and inviting at night.

I do enjoy decorating too... change things here and there, it's a never ending process, isn't it? really fun though! Will try to take pics during the day, maybe when we finally finish the upholstered wall in the MBR (DIYing it, health hazard! I almost cut my fingers off!!)

and I do get what you mean about the "doesn't look like what you said it would look like risk!!" My ID gave me the drawings with dimensions and showed me how the actual meaurements would be using a measuring tape, of course it's still not the best way coz i had to use my imagination.

i do regret getting him to build the feature wall in the living room.... i ended up HAVING to buy a tv for it, would have much rather just had a sitting area! no one watches the tv outside anyway!! no choice for the MBR coz the space was so small...

good luck on your quote! hope your reno goes smoothly!!

I feel buying furniture instead of built in ones is the harder path to take. You really must have a sense of how it will look when everything is combined together before you buy it.

What we did was that we decided the key pieces of furniture to get (sofa, bed, dining table) and got the ID to design according to the pieces that we bought. We changed the design of the bedroom a few times because we couldn't decide which bed we wanted... Thank goodness our ID is a patient man!

i do regret getting him to build the feature wall in the living room.... i ended up HAVING to buy a tv for it, would have much rather just had a sitting area! no one watches the tv outside anyway!! no choice for the MBR coz the space was so small...

Couldn't you have just hung a picture instead of the TV?

I was also toying with the idea of not having a TV in the living rm so that we could turn it into a pretty sitting room. But watching TV is a family activity so we had to do up the TV feature wall.

In other news... Quote is out!

I'm not liking the amount so much. Reading renotalk I've seen HDBs being overhauled for less.

Let me go study it again...

What we did was that we decided the key pieces of furniture to get (sofa, bed, dining table) and got the ID to design according to the pieces that we bought. We changed the design of the bedroom a few times because we couldn't decide which bed we wanted... Thank goodness our ID is a patient man!

Couldn't you have just hung a picture instead of the TV?

I was also toying with the idea of not having a TV in the living rm so that we could turn it into a pretty sitting room. But watching TV is a family activity so we had to do up the TV feature wall.

In other news... Quote is out!

I'm not liking the amount so much. Reading renotalk I've seen HDBs being overhauled for less.

Let me go study it again...

I'm so sorry about the quote.

*recovers from heart attack*

I'm so sorry about the quote.

Did you have a hand in its making!!! :P

I am being charged an obscene amount for curtains... why do I have so many windowsssss.

1095-P.jpg

Calligaris Cruiser

Just bought dining chairs (finally!), again from XZQT, this time served by Hasnul.

We went back to XZQT last night with the intention of getting another chair actually, but Hasnul said firmly, "No, the colour of the legs don't match your table. You shouldn't get it." He recommended similar styles from a catalogue, but I'm quite hesitant to buy things which I cannot see for real. Plus I have to wait till January for it to arrive. Looked around a bit more and spotted these, which are nice and slim. So we just went with it.

Thank goodness Hasnul dissuaded us from the original chair, because I got 4 pieces of Cruisers for the price of that 1 chair alone. *whew*

Money saved! Is always a good thing. Now this is a proper sales person :)

Potential buys for the place:

Orion_Ambiente_4_h.jpg

Christina Kröncke Orion Light

toobo_sta_1_1269592683.png

Fontana Arte Floor Lamp

FINALLY.

The reno has started.

Other than some minor problems (which switches control which lights), everything seems to be going fine.

Sofa was also delivered today. It *almost* couldn't fit into the lift. I was panicking for a while. I didn't realise that lift was so small...

Moral of the story, measure your lift first before buying any furniture!

Or be prepared to pay extra for the delivery men to hoist it up to whichever floor you live in.

Some pictures... (pretty boring though).

This will be for the TV in the dining room.

5192317526_0471c3a5a7.jpg

Living Rm...

5192321060_c45e5b110a.jpg

Alternate view of living rm, with that Sofa which really doesn't look that big...

I've seen chunkier L-shaped sofas! I wonder how those get transported!

5192326660_2347ff3158.jpg

Ceiling work. All the trunking will be covered with a gypsum board later.

So I guess it's a mini-false ceiling? The most important thing is we get additional lighting without sacrificing ceiling height.

5192334644_3702554bdc.jpg

The hole on the right is for an additional powerpoint to the junior bathroom...

5192346712_25c33c7217.jpg

That's all for now, will add more pictures as the reno progresses.