Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
rickzan

Homogenous Gloss For Kitchen Floor Tiles? Advisable?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Is it advisable using homo gloss for kitchen tiles....Need opinion...Thank You

u mean the kitchen floor or wall??

floor>> not advisable>> cos will be damm slippery

Wall>> go for it!!>> easy to wipe and maintance

Oooopppsss. i meant floor tiles....hmmm...will matt easty to maintain?

Is it advisable using homo gloss for kitchen tiles....Need opinion...Thank You

It really depends on your lifestyle. There are pros and cons to go for homo gloss for kitchen floor tiles.

We opted for the glossy tiles for our kitchen. Primarily, because we don't cook heavily and intensively (not much deep frying). This, the cooking thing, should be the utmost consideration. And, I guess the other consideration is whether you are having toddlers or elders living in the house.

We have been staying here for two years and the floors are not slippery. It is easy to maintain. So far, no regrets.

Personally, a glossy tile laid in kitchen gives it a modern look.

Our kitchen in our second year:

b6bfd29e.jpg

It really depends on your lifestyle. There are pros and cons to go for homo gloss for kitchen floor tiles.

We opted for the glossy tiles for our kitchen. Primarily, because we don't cook heavily and intensively (not much deep frying). This, the cooking thing, should be the utmost consideration. And, I guess the other consideration is whether you are having toddlers or elders living in the house.

We have been staying here for two years and the floors are not slippery. It is easy to maintain. So far, no regrets.

b6bfd29e.jpg

Nice Kitchen...

Gloss finishing not necessary slippery. With water on surface, both matt & gloss finishings stand same chance for "slippery".

The only "problem" with matt finish is the look : "dull" like dead fish's eyes. Looking at one or 2 tiles on rack with warm light(supplier like) cannot spot this effect. Pay attention to friends/relatives....'s matt HG tiles finish over the floor, when visiting them, u will know what I mean. Marble has this "dull & dead" effect after some years.

If die die must use "matt" then choose much lighter color, near white. Try same finishing for hall/room/kitchen. Look "odd" if hall/kitchen with different finishing, pay attention when visiting others' houses.

Edited by bepgof

b6bfd29e.jpg

Very beautiful floor! Like it sooooo much!!!

Would love such glossy floor for our kitchen, but with many kids in & out most of the time,

spilling & dripping water every where,

and me doing much cooking, I wouldn't dare take the chance of having glossy tiles in case it's slippery

Edited by booksntoys

Gloss finishing not necessary slippery. With water on surface, both matt & gloss finishings stand same chance for "slippery".

The only "problem" with matt finish is the look : "dull" like dead fish's eyes. Looking at one or 2 tiles on rack with warm light(supplier like) cannot spot this effect. Pay attention to friends/relatives....'s matt HG tiles finish over the floor, when visiting them, u will know what I mean. Marble has this "dull & dead" effect after some years.

If die die must use "matt" then choose much lighter color, near white. Try same finishing for hall/room/kitchen. Look "odd" if hall/kitchen with different finishing, pay attention when visiting others' houses.

I tend to agree with bepgof here. Not because I am having the glossy HG tiles.

If I have a choice to redo my renovation, I will use glossy HG tiles for my bathroom too BUT not at the shower area. My bathrooms use black matt. Over time, it does give the 'dull and dead' effect. Water marks and specks of dusts are more obvious. On matt, you cannot mop it wet-wet as it leaves obvious water marks. Hehe, no wonder we often feel so good in a hotel where the bathroom is often laid with glossy tiles.

Glossy HG tiles are not that slippery as many thought it would be.

Hi All

I will be getting the keys to my resale 12-year-old executive condo (1281 sq ft) in 2 weeks' time. I have chosen very light green (like very light jade shade) marble with a bit of peach and blue streaks and a bit of sparkle. Now, I have to choose the tiles for the floor and walls of the kitchen and 3 bathrooms. Having read this thread and the Lian Seng Hin and Hafary links in the Opennet Cable Installation thread, I am very worried. Fellow forumers post the troubles they had using tiles from Lian Seng Hin and Hafary. I hope to avoid the headache and heartache.

Could you please advise me:

1) Where to source for good tiles?

2) What are the characteristics of good tiles

3) I understand there are tiles made in China, Malaysia, Indonesia, Italy and ... Which one is good and which one to avoid? Those labelled 'Made in Italy', are they really made in Italy?

4) I intend to use very pure glossy white tiles for most parts of the kitchen and bathroom walls. Where can I find them? Any recommendations of any made or model? Tiles of what size for the kitchen and bathrooms' walls (master bathrm, common bathrm and a very small maid's bathrm).

5) For the kitchen floor, I would prefer tiles that are not slippery. Please recommend the size, colour, made or model and where to source for them.

A few days ago, I went to Inti Ceremic Pte ltd and KIV one model. It was matt, Essenza brand, made in Indonesia, available in light green shade and also dark green shade. Can't decide whether to choose light green or dark green if I am going to buy this model for the kitchen floor. Light green is closer to my marble colour. Dark green is easier to maintain. Any advice? Inti carries only the Essenza brand. I believe if I scout around I should be able to find nicer and more suitable tiles of other brands.

Has anyone used Essenza brand tiles before? Good?

6) For the bathrooms' floor, I would prefer tiles that are anti-slip. Please recommend the size, colour, made or model and where to source for them.

Does the shower room floor need to have tiles that are more rough than the bathroom floor? The colours and texture will be different if the tiles are not the same. Is the effect nice?

7) My marble floor is very light green. It is a difficult colour to match. Could anyone please advise me on the colour scheme for the other areas of the house?

Since floor and wall tiles are going to be there for a long time, and are very tedious to replace, I would prefer to go for better quality and save on other things. I will appreciate your advice. Thanks.

- You'll regret using marbel stone for flooring after a few years. Surface turns "dull" like dead fish's eye, no more "reflective" look. Marbel is "compressed mineral" with high pressure over time.

- LSH & Hafary are the biggest stone suppliers in singapore.

- Instead of marbel, suggest to use granite ($5.6psf) can get those tokong ones liao. Surface much harder (hardest stones)and maintain the glossy look over many many years.

- Personally prefer light-color stones for floor & walls, with darker color for dining/furniture/fixture.....

- Lay a few same tiles on floor with natural light to see the effect first. One piece under showroom's warm light always has misleading look. Stand far/near "look" and "feel".

- Get stones' size as big as possible(min 600mm x 600mm) for flooring.

- Ceramic tiles for walls (tiolet/kitchen)can liao (glossy surface for ease of cleaning) if $ tight.

- Best kitchen flooring tile size same as hall's.

- For rectangular tiles, installing in "H" manner has "tall" effect, horizontally ha "fat" effect.

- Tiles/stones are all the same, problem is how the workers handle them during installation and under what kind of working situations. Best no hurry, take time to lay and once dried, put corrugated paper for protestion.

- Mop floor with damp cloth frequent during first 3~6 months for "water saturation" for granite stones.

Hi All

I will be getting the keys to my resale 12-year-old executive condo (1281 sq ft) in 2 weeks' time. I have chosen very light green (like very light jade shade) marble with a bit of peach and blue streaks and a bit of sparkle. Now, I have to choose the tiles for the floor and walls of the kitchen and 3 bathrooms. Having read this thread and the Lian Seng Hin and Hafary links in the Opennet Cable Installation thread, I am very worried. Fellow forumers post the troubles they had using tiles from Lian Seng Hin and Hafary. I hope to avoid the headache and heartache.

Could you please advise me:

1) Where to source for good tiles?

2) What are the characteristics of good tiles

3) I understand there are tiles made in China, Malaysia, Indonesia, Italy and ... Which one is good and which one to avoid? Those labelled 'Made in Italy', are they really made in Italy?

4) I intend to use very pure glossy white tiles for most parts of the kitchen and bathroom walls. Where can I find them? Any recommendations of any made or model? Tiles of what size for the kitchen and bathrooms' walls (master bathrm, common bathrm and a very small maid's bathrm).

5) For the kitchen floor, I would prefer tiles that are not slippery. Please recommend the size, colour, made or model and where to source for them.

A few days ago, I went to Inti Ceremic Pte ltd and KIV one model. It was matt, Essenza brand, made in Indonesia, available in light green shade and also dark green shade. Can't decide whether to choose light green or dark green if I am going to buy this model for the kitchen floor. Light green is closer to my marble colour. Dark green is easier to maintain. Any advice? Inti carries only the Essenza brand. I believe if I scout around I should be able to find nicer and more suitable tiles of other brands.

Has anyone used Essenza brand tiles before? Good?

6) For the bathrooms' floor, I would prefer tiles that are anti-slip. Please recommend the size, colour, made or model and where to source for them.

Does the shower room floor need to have tiles that are more rough than the bathroom floor? The colours and texture will be different if the tiles are not the same. Is the effect nice?

7) My marble floor is very light green. It is a difficult colour to match. Could anyone please advise me on the colour scheme for the other areas of the house?

Since floor and wall tiles are going to be there for a long time, and are very tedious to replace, I would prefer to go for better quality and save on other things. I will appreciate your advice. Thanks.

Hi Bepgof

Thank you so much for your invaluable advice. I appreciate it.

You wrote: For rectangular tiles, installing in "H" manner has "tall" effect, horizontally ha "fat" effect.

Today I went to Polybuilding and KIV tiles of a few models. They are supposed to be made in Italy. I intend to use the white tile, Lumina Bianco, 305 by 560mm for the walls of the kitchen, and 3 bathrooms. I am thinking of installing them horizontally for the fat effect.

1) Do you think the tall effect is nicer or the fat effect for my kitchen and bathrooms walls?

The salesperson advised laying the tiles in the brick pattern, ie something like this:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

.... _ _ _ _ _ _ _

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

.... _ _ _ _ _ _ _

2) Do you think the brick pattern (with fat effect) is nicer, or straight pattern (with fat effect) nicer?

You wrote: Tiles/stones are all the same, problem is how the workers handle them during installation and under what kind of working situations. Best no hurry, take time to lay and once dried, put corrugated paper for protestion.

Could you please advise:

3) What is the right way to handle tiles/stones during installation and what is the right kind of working situation?

4) How many days to dry the tiles/marble/granite?

5) Where to buy the corrugated paper?

6) I also KIV matt, light cream tiles, Arke Silk, 300 by 600mm, made in Italy, for my kitchen floor. Do you think the brick pattern (with fat effect) is nicer, or straight pattern (with fat effect) nicer?

Will appreciate if you could find the time to answer my queries. Thanks.

Edited by countblessings

Very beautiful floor! Like it sooooo much!!!

Would love such glossy floor for our kitchen, but with many kids in & out most of the time,

spilling & dripping water every where,

and me doing much cooking, I wouldn't dare take the chance of having glossy tiles in case it's slippery

I installed black glossy homogeneous tiles for my kitchen floor as well. I agree that it does look nice and modern when it's just been cleaned, but what i dont like are the water marks it leaves, which are quite evident. Of course they do come off when you wipe the floor, but it's still a hassle. As for them being slippery, i've not had that problem at all as my kitchen floor is seldom very wet.. Don't recommend it for bathrooms though, no matter how nice they may look. I dont think its worth the risk

1) Do you think the tall effect is nicer or the fat effect for my kitchen and bathrooms walls?

2) Do you think the brick pattern (with fat effect) is nicer, or straight pattern (with fat effect) nicer?

"工" = easier to lay for verticle walls.

"H" = Time consuming, contractor'll give whatever reason to avoid this.

Confined space needs "H".

3) What is the right way to handle tiles/stones during installation and what is the right kind of working situation?

- water saturation, esp for natural stones like marble & granite.

- Apply (pain or roll over) thin chemical solution on both top/bottom surface

- Avoild edges damage( esp minor chip off along glossy surface), see how the work "stack" the stones.

4) How many days to dry the tiles/marble/granite?

Rule of thumb = 24 hr. Best is > 48hr.

5) Where to buy the corrugated paper?

Is sold at "few pie" & in one roll, those industrial package material supply shop, eg Central Merchantile.

6) I also KIV matt, light cream tiles, Arke Silk, 300 by 600mm, made in Italy, for my kitchen floor. Do you think the brick pattern (with fat effect) is nicer, or straight pattern (with fat effect) nicer?

Flooring (horizontal) can't tell "H" or "工" , depending angle one views. Best avoid "H" or "工" for flooring - giddy.

Edited by bepgof