Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
3monster

Lights Shopping At Balestier Aug - Sept 2010

Hi I am sharing this to thank all who have helped me directly or indirectly in my reno done in Aug to Sept 2010. ;)

It is true that u may have to run back to the lights shop a couple of times after buying (faulty lights, broken glass, extra pieces etc). So if time is not on your side, do choose a shop more conveniently located to u. I chose Balestier cos my workplace was nearby & there were plenty of shops & choices. I spent quite a bit of time & effort window shopping before buying from the following shops. Of course, price, functionality & beauty (in that order) were my main considerations. I could not find ALL the lights I wanted in any single shop, so ended up buying from 5 different places.

1) Eurostar

Most lights here were expensive but they had an offer for 13w or 18w times 2 square PLC downlights (with the simplest design) from $19.90. This was the cheapest quote I got for lights with Atco ballasts & Phillips (?) tubes. They give a 1 yr free after sales service. They said they will go down to your place even if it’s just a faulty light bulb! Free delivery if u buy more than $300

2) Lightings.com.sg

VERY competitive prices but NOT all items were the cheapest. It actually takes the stress off shopping when u do not need & cannot bargain. If u do not want to go to their warehouse to collect the lights yourself, just go back a couple of days later to the same shop to collect. However, it is a small shop & selection is a bit limited. All their lights and prices are online. So take all the pictures u want. They give a 90 days warranty on their lights but u need to bring to their shop. Delivery is additional $18.

3) Silic

This is a double storey shop just 3 shops away from Lightings.com.sg. If u need country style lights, this is the place. The shop is single handedly operated by an extremely friendly lady called Jenny who gives excellent personalised service. She did not mind me taking pictures of the lights and trusted me to leave me alone to browse at ease. So this is one shop I felt very happy shopping at. Jenny is multi talented, fixes the lights, trouble shoots etc all on her own. Downside is that the shop may not always be opened cos she may be at the warehouse etc. Warranty is 1 month, u need to bring the light back if it’s faulty. That happened for one of my lights and Jenny fixed it without a fuss. Delivery is $20

4) Chan Huat

This is a chain of shops, there were 3 along the stretch of Balestier, if I am not wrong. So u can get almost everything u need from lights to ceiling / wall fans. Prices were competitive and u can bargain for further discount. However, they do not specify any warranty on their lights & no after sales service. And no taking pictures! Delivery is free for orders above $500, otherwise $50.

5) Dreamlights

This is at the end of Balestier near Moulmein, owned by the same boss who also owns Home of Lights at the other end of Balestier near Thompson Hospital. U can get the same light at 30% or so off at Dreamlights, as compared to Home of Lights. Service is also much better here at DreamLights. This is another shop I felt very happy shopping at. I could take pictures of the lights I was interested in. Jason, who served me, was really honest and helpful. All it took was phone calls to change my orders, or to do same day purchases and collections. They give a 1 yr free after sales service. They said they will go down to your place even if it’s just a faulty light bulb. Free delivery if u buy more than $200.

In addition, prices at Extreme Lightings were pretty competitive too, but I did not get anything from there in the end. They did not specify a length of warranty period, delivery is free for purchases $200-$300.

Hope the above info will help anyone who needs. :>

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request