Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Deodar

Small Insects In Rice

Is there any way to get rid of small insects attacking rice? I always see that after buying a new packet of rice these insects appear within a week,slowly spoiling the rice.I keep rice in an air tight clean plastic container .Pls help

• Like 1

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Is there any way to get rid of small insects attacking rice? I always see that after buying a new packet of rice these insects appear within a week,slowly spoiling the rice.I keep rice in an air tight clean plastic container .Pls help

I believe you are referring to those small roundish looking insects - those are weevils.

You can keep them away by using lime leaves. These can be bought from the market. Just put a handful of the leaves inside the rice and it will prevent the weevils from multiplying. If you cannot find lime leaves, you can try pandan leaves too. You'll need about 3 or 4 long leaves. Tie them up together and stuff it inside the rice.

For both the leaves, wash them first and dab dry with kitchen towel before you put it in the rice.

I believe you are referring to those small roundish looking insects - those are weevils.

You can keep them away by using lime leaves. These can be bought from the market. Just put a handful of the leaves inside the rice and it will prevent the weevils from multiplying. If you cannot find lime leaves, you can try pandan leaves too. You'll need about 3 or 4 long leaves. Tie them up together and stuff it inside the rice.

For both the leaves, wash them first and dab dry with kitchen towel before you put it in the rice.

I usually get small bags of rice and store it in the fridge. Haven't had a single weevil visit yet.

DAISO has this thing for rice. its in flavors of chili or garlic.

its like a small bag of powder [like those u get in Japanese crackers]

but inside is essence of garlic or chilli.

that works fine i guess.

I think you can sun it under sunlight, it will work.

I always try to buy what is enough for me for the next 2 - 3 months so the insect wont enjoy my rice :P

One small bag of rice can last me forever, so I actually store mine in the freezer haha. I read that you only need to do this for overnight with a sealed bag of rice, then store in a dry, airtight container but i tend to keep mine in the freezer long-term.

Also read about the garlic thing..whole cloves, with skin on?