Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
hon

City Gas Water Heater

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

So any recommendations to the gas heaters model? M/R/F?

The newer ones have digital panel so need power point.They are for two points of usage.Each are like $300/$360..

Fren suggested the manual type,$180/$200,

Which are meant for one point of usage,but connect to both toilets.

Drawback is only can use the heater in one toilet at any given time.

Any suggestions guys?

Can anyone experienced using rain shower with the gas water heater? How's the water pressure?

Hey i haven't experienced but i was told by a Hans Grohe sales person it is not recommended leh - i also headache

Hi,

I am intending to use the city gas water heater for my new BTO flat in sengkang. Heard from a few ppl that it sometimes cause smoke to come from the heater, is it true?

Anyone got any experience about this?

How much can be saved on electricity if using city gas?

Thank you

Cheers

Hi all,

I install a gas water heater for a couple of mths and I can help answer some questions. I am using the ferroli fe10.

Most of the funny things are heard because people or id don't really understand how these things work. Heck even my contractor didn't know how it works.

1) will affect water pressure and will it be able to run a rain shower?

despite the myths and all, it largely depends on your water pressure coming into the house. The heater will just pass thru this pressure (keep in mind the fe10 is meant for a whole house usage). My rain shower works fine. An instant heater will reduce your water pressure as it can't heat the water fast enough.

2) smoke appearing etc

There is no smoke that appears. However it does produce some noise as it runs a pump when activated. There is also a slight smell of gas, similar to a gas stove.

3) slow to heat up, waste water etc

this largely depends on your expectation especially if you have been using an instant water heater. Instant water heater will heat your water in 5-10 seconds at a reduced water pressure.

Gas heaters similar to storage heater needs the water to flow quite a distance. My heater is in the service area and runs thru the house internal piping. It take roughly 20-30secs to get hot water. On top of that, the water if has been cold in the pipes and the heater is started, it will take another 5-10 secs to heat up the water.

In comparsion to the storage heater, the storage heater u would need to turn it on way before you want to shower or use hot water. Also the savings you get from gas is quite a bit.

In summary, an instant water heater is best if you don't need hot water in your whole house and don't need a rain shower. A gas heater is a cheap and convenient way to have hot water for the entire house. A storage heater if you don't have gas running in or you need to make up for the lack of water pressure.

Hope this helps! I was in the same shoes as you guys and just decided to take the risk of getting a gas heater.

Edited by exxtreme

Is it advisable to use a storage heater or a gas heater if i were to use it for the whole house? The water pressure in my unit now is considered powerful but I do not want to compromise on the pressure.

I was browsing through the forum and stumbled upon this post. coming from one who stays in punggol in a 4-rm flat with mbr toilet that uses rain shower and the common toilet who utilizes normal shower, with a prima fe10 ferroli gas water heater, I'd say that rain shower feels pretty much like rain to me, and showering, washing etc is not a problem.

unlike @exxtreme, I don't need 20sec to get hot water running through the pipes. I have been using the gas water heater for close to 3 years now that I am staying here, and I am very pleased with the experience. Indeed, cost of bills dropped significantly as compared to my instant water heater water utilization in my previous residences.

as for water tank, i think it's also good to identify where it's made from and whether it may rust. My boss stays in bukit panjang area and his water tank is in need of a replacement now after using it for about 8-years.

I think to each his own, but thus far if you're staying at a new estate (BTO), going with gas centralized water heater, going with a central gas heater won't go very wrong.

Oh, do position the heater at the right place, for me, my mistake is that i placed it at the hang-clothes area and it's now blocking the retractable clothes hangar.

Another thing to note is that mine is Ferroli's model, as such, it requires a power outlet to fire up the gas. no battery needed, but need a power-socket. I would have loved to get Rinnai, as I am a jap fan, but the Rinnai requirement was to have a very ugly exhaust pipe that goes out to the window grille. Prima FE 10 didn't have such a requirement, and Max(Something) is a Chinese brand which I am not that comfortable with. That's why I went with Ferroli.

My gas heater is located almost next to our showers.. so its almost instantaneous.. can't beat storage tank though. But in terms of cost savings of electrical bill, it is better I believe. My rain shower still works.. wish it can be more powerful.

Edited by TITW

Bought the Macro MA-10FE, have been using it for like 3 months now. It works well once you know how to use it, but to me it's quite troublesome coz u must wake the heater up from sleep by switching the power button that is on the heater itself (not the power socket), then on your water tap in the toilet (just on and off) to get the heater to run, then wait a few seconds for the water to heat up, then u have let the cold water that is in the pipe in between the heater and the tap run out, before u finally get the hot water. too troublesome and time laggy if u ask me. 

Don't know how much cost savings it brings me, but based on this experience if I got more money I wld go for an electric water heater cheers. 

Edited by nwuerin

On 7/21/2014 at 5:40 PM, IvyLim said:

"Went to 1 ID firm last nite, being advise to us for considering installing either elect heater/storage heater because city gas water heater sometimes took abt 10-15mins for it to have hot/warm water upon turning on the tap. Is it true? Because i don't get to see from citygas website stated how long does it takes to have warm/hot water after turning on the tap. Any kind soul that has installed, can hear from your feedback? Thanks."

I was told this as well , that it took 10mins or so for the water to be warm, and heard very different feedbacks about whether is this true.... are there any other alternatives available?

also, anyone know whether does the rainshower head rust easily? i went a few hotels overseas and those with such showerheads are always rusty...

LOL it's not true la! My ferroli city gas heater takes under 1 min to get hot water. About 20 seconds to 30 seconds. 

I usually turn it on, then turn on my Bluetooth speakers in bathroom for music and take off clothes, just nice the hot water comes out. 

I'm. Using ferroli in my current house but changing to a resale EA. 

I don't like ferroli because it has this "safety feature" that cuts off the hot water after 30 mins of use. Sometimes my tenant is using and I sway sway use after that I keep having to turn off and on the water to get hot water again. 

Thinking between macro and Rinnai, any thoughts? Even though Rinnai is Japanese brand both are still made in China. 

Rinnai absolutely needs that piping or flute installed? If don't install it won't work properly? 

Hi, my house using city gas macro heater. Just found my device cannot connect to heater. The screen keep showing EC when I turn on the device. Anyone can help? Called Macro and they only able to come Monday after 4pm. But I need heater for showering. 

21EF8F05-017F-422D-93DD-F08A0C78589D.jpeg