Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Dr.Anarchy

Where Sell Cheapest Philips T5?

Just found a webby supporting the claims of the LED wattage:

It says each LED consumes 0.08W, hence continue with the comparision;

a reel of LED of 5M or 16.4 Feet has 300 LEDs,

hence 4 feet gives about 76 LEDs, consumes 6.1W.

That is awesome, in contrasts to a T5 of 28W.

Ok, I'm converting/ ;p

dexufto:-

..Each LED bulb taking 0.5W, so max. is 2W. In that respect, LED downlight definitely still consumes much less.

Isn't Lumens the gold standard for light brightness?

For the LED strip, it mentioned each LED emits 4-5 Lumen.

Neubie has a point in terms of converter efficiency.. still generally LED consumes less,

(somehow this reminds me of inverter vs non inverter a/c)

i think need to be clear about the power consumption of LEDs vs traditional lamps.

electrically one LED takes about 50mA at 2.5V to light up bright. multiply that together gives 125mW. that is the actual power consumption. multiply that by a string of 40 LEDs gives 5W of electrical consumption. looks good. however, need to consider the other factors like AC/DC converter efficiency and it's inherent consumption....

LED lights are more directional compared to normal bulbs which has a more omni-directional light output pattern. so, looking straight at a lighted LED shows extreme brightness, but looking sideways, light output falls quite a lot.

best to use some measurement tools like luminance meter to test the brightness (measured in candela per square meter (cd/m²) that is the most zhun...

btw manutd1972, how much do you pay for the LEDs.

I'm considering getting either here or overseas.

I would prob need 7.2m in length which translate to 36W.

Hence would need a 230V/ 50hz, 4Amp 48 W transformer.

TIA

ps: Sorry Dr.Anarchy for the O.T

Edited by dexufto

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

nah is okay dexufto.

I did consider LED to replace my cove/downlights as well but after calculating the cost and effort, it isn't really worth the investment yet.

Few of my reason is

1) There are many LED suppliers and most of their stock comes from China. All kind of brands. All kind of brightness. If you take a walk at Balestier lighting shop, almost all sales will be pushing you to get LED lights. No.1 reason is it helps to save your electricity and I believe their profit margin is higher as well.

2) Cost. I did a rough calculation on my usage of energy saving E27 vs LED from 7pm - 11pm. Oh well not too much actually. LED is few times more expensive and they go by length calculation. Don't be too obsess with the watt, do a comparison how much will it save you for your usage pattern at spservices website.

3) Replacement in future? If the one LED blows especially those strips type, how's the replacement going to be easy when you conceal it behind your false ceiling or feature wall wherease a T5 is just twist and pull. Try asking your better half to change LED. To save my ears, twist and turn is better haha

To sum it up, I spoke to a LED distributor who supplies to major hotels and shopping center, he told me this, for home use, T5 is already very energy saving. No need for LED. For downlights as well. E27 is good enough. The reason why hotels/shopping centers are using is because they turn on 24/7. For us, few hours unless you turn on 24/7 as well.

My recommendation, save the extra cash and buy a good downlights/T5. Lightings.com.sg do carry philips downlights and they are the only one for now. Take a look at the internal quality, you will know why liao. There is a post on this so I don't want to explain further liao lah They claim the stocks come from Philips Singapore but I seriously doubt so. I believe they import in from Shenzhen, Philips in China. Take a look at the internal quality, you will know why liao. There is a post on this so I don't want to explain further liao lah

For T5, I bought Philips and remember, T5 can use a small wire and wired all up. I have a feature wall of 16 feet and just for my feature wall, I will need 8x 4feet, 1x 3 feet. If electrician will to charge me each lighting point one price, i will be a dead man. Luckily for me it is 1 point for all.

Edited by Dr.Anarchy

btw manutd1972, how much do you pay for the LEDs.

I'm considering getting either here or overseas.

I would prob need 7.2m in length which translate to 36W.

Hence would need a 230V/ 50hz, 4Amp 48 W transformer.

TIA

ps: Sorry Dr.Anarchy for the O.T

I was charged $28/metre for those strip type. They say normal price is $35/m, they quoted me $30/m, but reduced to $28/m. Same price for both types, whether there's an epoxy coating over the strip or bare strip. Epoxy coating just serves to shield the bulbs from water, cos LED bulbs cannot touch water. So if u're gg to use it, think abt the environment of usage. Both are abt same brightness, but the light frm the bare ones are visibly more attractive. Did you guys know that DAMA also carry T5 lights? Very cheap lor. $14 per 4ft length for white lights. I compared my costings and consumption based on these prices. I still chose LED cos I work a lot from home and cos my new plc is N-S facing, even in daytime, I will probably need to turn on some of my lights. So my lights are like at least 8-10hrs usage per day.

For my usage, 2pcs of 100W transformers were needed and they charged me $30 per pc. Dunno whether kenna chopped or not.

But there's this lighting shop at Geylang....they also carry LED lights but limited variety. The manager also not pushing LED as aggressively as others. He says his reason is that he feels LED lighting for home use is still a new technology, he wants to test the lights in his shop first, see how long they take before failure, then recommend to his customers if proven to be reliable. Dunno whether smoking me or not la, but his normal PLC downlights currently got promo, so my ID brought me there to buy. I only needed 2. $39.80 for 2 x 18W PLC downlights.

I must qualify that my LED purchase was a bit impulsive but I think overall, I'll save on my PUB bills, and that's gd enough for me. I cannot stand seeing a big PUB bill on a monthly basis. Can you guys imagine 1 person in a 3rm flat, paying $100-$115 on PUB monthly? I also dunno whr my usage comes from. Definitely not aircon, cos before I installed aircon, bill was oredi $90+ to $100 per mth.

nah is okay dexufto.

3) Replacement in future? If the one LED blows especially those strips type, how's the replacement going to be easy when you conceal it behind your false ceiling or feature wall wherease a T5 is just twist and pull. Try asking your better half to change LED. To save my ears, twist and turn is better haha

yea, sorry for the OT, Doc. :D

I did think about the replacement if individual bulbs within the strip blows. But cos my design is bouncing the light emitted off the walls or ceiling, i figured each 1m strip can still accommodate maybe 5 blown bulbs spread across the 1m strip before the reflected light looks annoying.

I feel the disadvantage of LED lights is the length of throw. The brightness may be the same, but it definitely cannot project the light as far as normal T5, E27, halogen etc. That's just my gut feel whenever I see LED lights used as ceiling lights. The intensity of the light on the floor seems not as high as those frm typical downlights or ceiling lamps. That's why i'm only using them in my small toilets, cove-like lighting, and under the kitchen top cabinets for kitchen work-top illumination.

Doc, I always find ur description of ur missus' home handywoman capabilities amusing. If i hv a missus like her, if she's willing to learn a bit, i'll teach her some handyman stuff. Can be a gd couple-bonding exercise....haha. :sport-smiley-018:

Edited by manutd1972

manutd1972, no offense, im not discounting LED but i strongly agree with what you said. Toilets and kitchen are one of the best area that i will suggest to use as well since we can afford to turn it on throughout the night :)

Oh well my missus doesn't like trouble so in my capacity, i will try to make life easier for both of us by standardizing most of my items. haha but always I still try to make an effort to show her some. Maybe how to watch movies/drama from the NAS box to the TV will be an achievement! hahaha

Maybe how to watch movies/drama from the NAS box to the TV will be an achievement! hahaha

haha....if she's into those Korean, Jap, Taiwan drama serials....den definitely she will be keen to learn how to do this...