Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
apprye

Mbr Door Opens By Itself When The Toilet Door Is Opened

My current MBR door installed from HDB door opens by itself whenever the toilet door is opened. In order to prevent the door from opening, we had to stopper the MBR door from behind. Anyone knows how to fix this issue?

Edited by apprye

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
My current installed from HDB door opens by itself whenever the toilet door is opened. In order to prevent the door from opening, we had to stopper it from behind. Anyone knows how to fix this issue?

u mean when its not fully closed? usually this happens due to change in room air pressure due to the opening toilet door. im assuming its pushed inwards. so some of the air in the room is sucked into the toilet by the door. thus the suction will cause the door to open. dun think can prevent 1 leh. unless u open the windows?

@wolflet: the mbr door is fully closed leh.. :( quite irritating at times especially when my gal is crying and I have to manage the toilet bifold door and the mbr door at the same time.

I think the condition has worsen till the extend that pushing the door when it's fully closed opens it! Without even the need to turn the knob! :( the quality of materials really quite jialat for our estate... :x

Yah. Was spooked for quite a few times before realizing the problem! Hahaha

Wah u sound so eerie, but maybe try to open the window a bit

@wolflet: the mbr door is fully closed leh.. :( quite irritating at times especially when my gal is crying and I have to manage the toilet bifold door and the mbr door at the same time.

I also think the condition has worsen till the extend that pushing the door when it's fully closed opens it! Without even the need to turn the knob! :( the quality of materials really quite jialat for our estate... :x

Same as wolflet, I also think it's due to the air pressure/flow in the room. Whenever I open and close my MBR door, my toilet bi-fold door will automatically open itself by a bit in the middle but there's no noise. My two doors are facing each other.

How about you install a hook lock at the side corner of your toilet door that will allow you to hook up the door from the MBR? It'll be easier for you than using door stopper, and your toilet door will stay closed throughout the night.

See the hook lock pic here:

http://www.saferkidsandhomes.com/shp.php?p...559&lgid=en

I installed this hook lock for my kitchen toilet door after my tenant broke its door handle lol.

Edited by forgotten

Hi forgotten,

I'm experiencing 2 different issues with my doors in the MBR..

Toilet door opening by itself whenever I open the MBR door.. Any idea how to soften the clicking of the bifold door? Seems to be that it's the door that's clicking into place on the rails of the door... Or even better.. Strengthen it such that the bifold door doesn't open by itself?

MBR door opening by itself. This too is probably due to the pressure too. However, the MBR door should have enough weight and strength to withhold the pressure right? My thinking is that the bolt mechanism is not "biting" enough onto the strike plate to keep the door closed. Now, a simple push on the closed MBR door opens the MBR door! :( Any ways to rectify this?

Same as wolflet, I also think it's due to the air pressure/flow in the room. Whenever I open and close my MBR door, my toilet bi-fold door will automatically open itself by a bit in the middle but there's no noise. My two doors are facing each other.

How about you install a hook lock at the side corner of your toilet door that will allow you to hook up the door from the MBR? It'll be easier for you than using door stopper, and your toilet door will stay closed throughout the night.

See the hook lock pic here:

http://www.saferkidsandhomes.com/shp.php?p...559&lgid=en

I installed this hook lock for my kitchen toilet door after my tenant broke its door handle lol.

Edited by apprye

A magnetic catches should be able to hold the bi-fold door tight.

The bedroom door maybe alignment problem; the spacing of the lock set and installation of hinges.

Hi forgotten,

Toilet door opening by itself whenever I open the MBR door.. Any idea how to soften the clicking of the bifold door? Seems to be that it's the door that's clicking into place on the rails of the door... Or even better.. Strengthen it such that the bifold door doesn't open by itself?

MBR door opening by itself. This too is probably due to the pressure too. However, the MBR door should have enough weight and strength to withhold the pressure right? My thinking is that the bolt mechanism is not "biting" enough onto the strike plate to keep the door closed. Now, a simple push on the closed MBR door opens the MBR door! :( Any ways to rectify this?

I confirmed there are pressure & mechanical issues.

1. Obviously yr MBR door's spring-loaded tongue not extended into the cutout on the door frame when this door is closed = alignment problem. Align the hinges' screws slowing, or/and align both cutout/tongue's position by screwdrivers. Don't tell me you don't have screwdrivers. Handon has to start from young!

2. Bifolding door no good lah (creats stupid sound each time pull/push), change to top-hung sliding door lah.

I put some "rubber cushions" at inner frames, so even when doors accidentally closed hard, the sound reduced to minimum, of course have to align the the lock after putting rubber lining/cushion.

Edited by bepgof

Hi forgotten,

If you want to fix the bedroom door then you need to either shorten the distance between the latch and the strike plate as the latch is only just extending in to the strike plate to hold the door closed.

To fix it the correct way follow this guide.

To just do a quick fix if the distance is not too great, unscrew the strike plate and draw the shape on some card. cut the shape out and put it where the strike plate was on the door frame. Put the strike plate on top of the card matching the holes. Put the screws back in. This will pack out the strike plate so the distance is not so big and the latch will fit in a little more securely. Note, to much card and you will need longer screws. If the screw holes are warn and the screws do not grip then you may need to use some 'no more nails' or other glue in the hole before putting the screws in.

To help prevent banging noises on doors you can use draft excluder. Just get a small strip and cut in to one inch blocks. Put at the top and bottom of the door frame on the opposite side to the door hinges where the door connects when closed. This should limit the slamming noise of the door. Putting at the top and bottom of the door will still allow the door to flex slightly in the middle if it is a tight fit with the latch. You may need to adjust the position of the strips depending on the tightness of the door in the frame and if the door or frame is slightly warped. This can be very effective in preventing your wife, husband or kids slamming doors when they are upset ;) .

To help alleviate the issue with air pressure pushing open the toilet door you need to have somewhere for the air to escape to. One way is to take the bedroom door off and shave a gap off the bottom so it is not quite so tight filling the to floor then rehang the door. The gap should be more or less invisible but it give the air somewhere to escape to. Vents above the doors like in the old apartments also fix the issue as the air can escape. There are other ways but they are a bit more extreme. Good news is that if you are getting this then you can be fairly sure you have a good seal on your room and minimal aircon cool air is escaping when your aircon is running.

Oh and we have the same issue. We just open the doors slowly and if we were not moving in a couple of months, I would probably just pack out the strike plate.

RB

it is due to air pressure. is there any simple solution? open the master bedroom door, the toilet door will open?