Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sgdstuff

Kitchen Table Tops - What Material Is Best?

Hi,

Having fail to kick off our Reno project last year due to the arrival of our princess, we are quite determine to kick start it sometime next yeat and here I am trying to do some research on Kitchen Table Tops.

Typically, we do lot's of cooking and my wife loves to bake as well hence we would like to do some research on which Kitchen Table top is 1. Durable & 2. Easy Maintenance & 3. if possible, does not cost a bomb.

Btw, mine's is a 4rm HDB and I think the total length of the table top would be somewhere in the region of 34 to 36ft long.

Thanks in advance!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi,

Having fail to kick off our Reno project last year due to the arrival of our princess, we are quite determine to kick start it sometime next yeat and here I am trying to do some research on Kitchen Table Tops.

Typically, we do lot's of cooking and my wife loves to bake as well hence we would like to do some research on which Kitchen Table top is 1. Durable & 2. Easy Maintenance & 3. if possible, does not cost a bomb.

Btw, mine's is a 4rm HDB and I think the total length of the table top would be somewhere in the region of 34 to 36ft long.

Thanks in advance!

You may want to try stainless steel or granite top. :)

Hi,

Thanks in advance!

34~36ft? your kitchen must be very huge :o !

My kitchen can only fit in 20~22ft soild surface table top ( 12ft at one side with opposite of another 8~10ft) :( .

btw, my 4 rooms flat is 4A model with 111 m/sq area.

Edited by Flatster

34~36ft? your kitchen must be very huge :o !

My kitchen can only fit in 20~22ft soild surface table top ( 12ft at one side with opposite of another 8~10ft) :( .

btw, my 4 rooms flat is 4A model with 111 m/sq area.

Mine's a 4A as well and belongs to those Door-Door design layout i.e. each floor only 2 units other than the lift landing floor and the total area is only 104sqm........ My kitchen's shape is the rectangular one......

Maybe I should go check the length again...... maybe the ID who had quoted me anyhow measure.... he told me that one side of my kitchen is about 29ft and the other side I'm requesting for another 5ft preparation counter.....

I believe the three common materials are:

1) Solid top

2) Granite

3) Caesarstone

Solid top is the cheapest ranging from $80 - $130/ft run. If you're using white colour, advisable to use the more expensive acrylic top due to non-stain, non-yellowing properties.

hi, u can consider quartz. Me also abt to start on my reno soon, and we've been advised to use quartz instead of the usual solid top or granite. quartz is supposed to be scratch, heat, water proof etc. u can check with your contractor on the price, but its def much more pricier than the usual solid surface.

Seems Quartz is quite well-received...... Can anyone give me a rough idea on how much to expect per sq ft on quartz?

I seem to recall hearing that some stone materials are porous and allow moisture/bacteria to accumulate. I think granite seems to have that problem. Not sure with Quartz. I just finished my reno, and after reviewing the information back then, I choose solid surface top. Cost wise, it was the most economical (unless you use wood laminates).

Suggest you do a bit more googling...

I seem to recall hearing that some stone materials are porous and allow moisture/bacteria to accumulate. I think granite seems to have that problem. Not sure with Quartz. I just finished my reno, and after reviewing the information back then, I choose solid surface top. Cost wise, it was the most economical (unless you use wood laminates).

Thanks angkt for the info.

Any Bros & Sis can provide any further insight/feedback or even experiences if Granite & Quartz are porous and allow moisture/bacteria to accumulate?

Thanks ain advance.

Edited by sgdstuff

kitchenview3thesink.th.jpg

This is the sink that previous owner use.

I think is Granite.

I don't know how long actually they had use it.

My guess is 5 yrs +/-

The stain all eat into the kitchen top

Thanks angkt for the info.

Any Bros & Sis can provide any further insight/feedback or even experiences if Granite & Quartz are porous and allow moisture/bacteria to accumulate?

Thanks ain advance.

Quartz is supposedly much harder and scratch-proof, leak-proof and heat resistant than even granite. U can google more abt it. I also read abt quartz by searching older posts in this forum. There are 2 brands in the mkt, Caesarstone and Silestone.

for the resale flat i bought, the previous owner used solid surface (black), and after only 2 yrs of usage which i believed they do not really maintain, there are water marks and lots of cut marks (think they do cutting directly on the surface) and also white patches prob due to hot pots directly on the surface. Thats why decided to use quartz. For the price, u can chk directly with distributer or find contractor whom may get better price. gd luck!