Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
blueCrystal

Joven Water Heater Installation Question

I have been looking into Temperature and Pressure Relief (T & P) Valve and the linked overflow or discharge pipe recently. I have water leaking in one of my bathrooms and I suspect that it is due to water from water heater (Ariston brand) goes into the overflow pipe.

I have another bathroom where it has a Joven 50water heater installed.

I read very carefully in the label on the Joven water heater:"

a). The water heater should not be operated without a Pressure Relief Valve".

b). The valve and pressure relief pipe must not be sealed or blocked

"

myJoven.jpg

But looking at the installation, the relief pipe with red plastic cover goes to the floor of the bathroom. Is ti blocked? I understand that to block T & P valve is very dangerous. No I always turn off my water heater immediately after I used it.

I also look at the other installation I can find here:

joven1.jpg

This one seems has no relief or overflow pipe connect to it. The heater is installed in the ceiling, is it dangerous if the water heater is spoil and the water gushing form the T & P valve?

joven2.jpg

joven3.jpg

These two look right with the relief pipes go into the wall. But look carefully at the second one, the relief valve is turned a bit at the right. Is it block?

joven4.jpg

This one has no relief pipe despite the warnings.

Does anybody know how the relief pipe should be properly installed?

Edited by blueCrystal

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

All the relief valve are connected on the Cold water side.

Ariston(red tape) go through the floor, but there is a 90 degree PVC elbow bend that direct the excess water to the drain pipe.

Both Joven, also got relief valve, right pipe, cold water side, T joint.

Red ring is the hot water side. But installer dun join discharge pipe, cos Joven has triple safety system. Excess water is dripping type (drawn by gravity) Once drip time to change valve liao.

Edited by Warrior88

All the relief valve are connected on the Cold water side.

Ariston(red tape) go through the floor, but there is a 90 degree PVC elbow bend that direct the excess water to the drain pipe.

Both Joven, also got relief valve, right pipe, cold water side, T joint.

Red ring is the hot water side. But installer dun join discharge pipe, cos Joven has triple safety system. Excess water is dripping type (drawn by gravity) Once drip time to change valve liao.

I see, you mean that the installer don't join overflow or discharge pipe to the T & P valve in Joven because he think it is very safe?

The T & P valve and overflow pipe is very important in other country such as US. They have very specific requirements on how to install it from the government. But it seems not the case in Singapore. What is the real reason?

Em .... I also ponder why ?

The only thing I can think of is that the storage water heater in Singapore is normally small one such as 50L the largest. It is not as dangerous as those in other country which can be 150 to 300L typically.

This reminds me something of used battery disposal. I was wondering that there is no good way to dispose battery in Singapore. While in some other country you cannot throw battery just to dustbin. Later I read that Singapore markets carry only those safe for easy disposal (such as to dustbin) types of batteries.

If this is the case, I feel very relieved. But you still should have to have a overflow pipe connecting to the T & P valve. I know hot water will power down if the T & P valve is spoil or tank is spoil somewhere. How come some of the installations do not have the pipes?

Just imagine your car water radiator cap as the T&P valve. Excess T&P will open the valve to release the water. You don't see the discharge pipe right? Excess water only last a short time. Once T&P is stabilize the valve will close again.

Discharge pipe is to drain the excess hot water, you may actually be scald by the hot water.

But what are the chances and after all you don't always stand right under the tank.

I do agree with you that it is safer to connect the discharge pipe. By the way, most storage tank now comes with triple safety valve, thermal, temperature and pressure cut off.

Most ppl use the discharge pipe only for maintenence purpose like draining the water.

http://www.joven-electric.com/product_electric/vertical.asp