Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
user123

Downlight

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

The PLC with the bayonet type connection which you push in works with an external ballast. The E27 type which you screw into the fitting comes integrated with the ballast inside. Because it is screw in, it serves as a direct replacement for incandescent bulbs. You don't have to do any re-wiring. Because it comes with the ballast inside, it is more expensive. But it also means that you don't have the problem of possible mismatch between ballast and the light, which could shorten the life of the light.

The PLC with the bayonet type connection which you push in works with an external ballast. The E27 type which you screw into the fitting comes integrated with the ballast inside. Because it is screw in, it serves as a direct replacement for incandescent bulbs. You don't have to do any re-wiring. Because it comes with the ballast inside, it is more expensive. But it also means that you don't have the problem of possible mismatch between ballast and the light, which could shorten the life of the light.

Means if I use E27, once the light spoil, I can easily buy the bulb and change it myself, right? And no noise from the defect ballast as well

Means if I use E27, once the light spoil, I can easily buy the bulb and change it myself, right? And no noise from the defect ballast as well

Believe both can easily replace yourself. Just that the bayonet one uses separate ballast, so cheaper, but could also mean if something wrong, need to try to identify whether bulb problem or ballast problem. If ballast faulty, need to replace it. For E27, although more expensive, if faulty just replace because bulb and ballast together. Doesn't matter which part faulty.

Is the Philips downlight worth the investment?

Pricing

Philips 160x160 2x14watts $45 per set (price from Lightings.com.sg)

Normal 160x160 2x18watts $24 per set (price from recommanded shops)

Understand that supplier mod the normal down light holder to fit E27 bulb. You can still use Philips E27 bulbs. The only diff is the down light design. The internal of Philips downlight is really full of reflective sheet, whereas normal down light is lesser.

According to the salesman, this is the reason why Philips need only 14watts and it will save some cost on electric bill. Base on the pricing, it almost double. If we purchase 10pcs, its about $210 diff.

Pls help to advice. Thank you.

What is the estimated life of the different lightings? And what is your usage like? You can calculate for yourself to see whether its worth or not.

Electricity is about 24cents per kWh. The Philips set saves you 8W. You have to run it about 11,000 hrs before you save enough to make up for the price difference. If you use it 10hrs a day, that's about 3 years. That's assuming both sets last that long. If Philips lasts longer, you'll have to factor that in.

What is the estimated life of the different lightings? And what is your usage like? You can calculate for yourself to see whether its worth or not.

Electricity is about 24cents per kWh. The Philips set saves you 8W. You have to run it about 11,000 hrs before you save enough to make up for the price difference. If you use it 10hrs a day, that's about 3 years. That's assuming both sets last that long. If Philips lasts longer, you'll have to factor that in.

Orh ok....nvm la, decided and also delivered liao.....design also look better.......hehehe.....thanks for the reply.

Orh ok....nvm la, decided and also delivered liao.....design also look better.......hehehe.....thanks for the reply.

hi pckee,

I'm also considering whether to buy philips or normal brand. Do you have the model number?

I just went to the philips shop at Bt Timah, I think the ones I saw is about 28 to 32 dollars w/o bulbs. Is this the one u bot?

oinkoink

hi pckee,

I'm also considering whether to buy philips or normal brand. Do you have the model number?

I just went to the philips shop at Bt Timah, I think the ones I saw is about 28 to 32 dollars w/o bulbs. Is this the one u bot?

oinkoink

I bougt 8pcs of FBG305 (2x14w) $45 per pcs and 2pcs of FBG304(1x14w) $33 per pcs. Price are quoted with bulbs.

Click below link to see other models from Lightings.com.sg

http://www.lightings.com.sg/downlights.html

I think i made a good choice ba. I see the quality of Philips its indeed better than normal type. with additional of $200 compare to normal one, i think its worth it. cos once this is fix and it will be use for very long time.

Edited by pckee

I bougt 8pcs of FBG305 (2x14w) $45 per pcs and 2pcs of FBG304(1x14w) $33 per pcs. Price are quoted with bulbs.

Click below link to see other models from Lightings.com.sg

http://www.lightings.com.sg/downlights.html

I think i made a good choice ba. I see the quality of Philips its indeed better than normal type. with additional of $200 compare to normal one, i think its worth it. cos once this is fix and it will be use for very long time.

hey pckee,

thanks for the info. I have been searching for this PLC. Can see that you bought 8 big ones and 2 small ones. BTW, I saw that FBG306 looks nice, you din like it? Can confirm the price all come with ballast + bulbs? My ID recommend me one of the lighting shops selling at $40. I rather pay for philips.

cheers,

oinkoink

same thoughts. I got all my downlights from philips. 19x of 306. E27 the bulb itself comes with built in ballast. It is not modify and refix into the downlight as what you see those kitchen/bedroom lights sold.

same thoughts. I got all my downlights from philips. 19x of 306. E27 the bulb itself comes with built in ballast. It is not modify and refix into the downlight as what you see those kitchen/bedroom lights sold.

hey doc..glad to see another supporter from philips. Do you get yrs from lightings.com.sg as well? How much did you pay for each 306? Now I realized the philips lighting concept store at Bt Timah is so expensive~!

hey pckee,

thanks for the info. I have been searching for this PLC. Can see that you bought 8 big ones and 2 small ones. BTW, I saw that FBG306 looks nice, you din like it? Can confirm the price all come with ballast + bulbs? My ID recommend me one of the lighting shops selling at $40. I rather pay for philips.

cheers,

oinkoink

FBG306 is even bigger than 305. Size of 305 is 160x160 and 306 is 180x180 (in mm). U got to be careful which one you choose if you have TV feature wall at one side.

I only have L box in my living room and TV feature wall at one side. Currently my light have to be offset a bit from center in order not to cover by the feature wall.

To me i like the reflective coating on 305 and the glass is not fully frosted, so will be brighter. Since i only install 8 pcs on my L box, i want to get most out from the lights. In normal case, i think i wont ON all 8pcs, just 4 pcs when i stay there.

The lights do not have the big ballast like normal ones. The electronic ballast is built inside the bulb.

Check with your ID. BTW, lightings.com.sg accept exchange, but you need to bring it yourself.

Edited by pckee

oinkoink1999,

yeah initially when i was shopping for downlights, i know that almost all stocks locally comes from one place. China but since I'm going to pay almost the same price as what philips offer, might as well go for philips. At least got some degree of QA.

Sadly for all philips downlights, only lightings.com.sg carries them as they import them in from Philips China, Shenzhen. You can't find philips downlight sold in their showroom nor at bukit timah. This information is accurate at the point of posting hor.

Got it at the listed price, $38 each lor but I think is a decent price to pay as what my contractor agreed as well.

I bought all my lights from philips showroom leh at bukit timah when they have a sales except my dining table light. The price is almost the same as those sold at balestier (after discount). I didn't go for eco mood lah too expensive le just the room styler series. For lights I prefer simple and philips lights suit my overall theme :P

Most importantly all of my bulb is E27 hahaha so when my wife needs to buy and change herself when I'm outstation, its easy for her!

Sidetrack abit, for those who have covelights, get the philips T5 holder at their showroom, bukit timah, quality is good!

Edited by Dr.Anarchy

oinkoink1999,

yeah initially when i was shopping for downlights, i know that almost all stocks locally comes from one place. China but since I'm going to pay almost the same price as what philips offer, might as well go for philips. At least got some degree of QA.

Sadly for all philips downlights, only lightings.com.sg carries them as they import them in from Philips China, Shenzhen. You can't find philips downlight sold in their showroom nor at bukit timah. This information is accurate at the point of posting hor.

Got it at the listed price, $38 each lor but I think is a decent price to pay as what my contractor agreed as well.

I bought all my lights from philips showroom leh at bukit timah when they have a sales except my dining table light. The price is almost the same as those sold at balestier (after discount). I didn't go for eco mood lah too expensive le just the room styler series. For lights I prefer simple and philips lights suit my overall theme :P

Most importantly all of my bulb is E27 hahaha so when my wife needs to buy and change herself when I'm outstation, its easy for her!

Sidetrack abit, for those who have covelights, get the philips T5 holder at their showroom, bukit timah, quality is good!

hey doc,

thanks for the info. Just to clarify, what's the difference between PLC lights and down lights? I saw the 30X series at Bt Timah last week. They are consider PLC lights correct? Wow so you also another supporter of philips huh. I just bought my LED TV and soundbar from philips too :P

I have cove lights but haven decided what to buy. How much is the T5 holder?

cheers~!

oinkoink