Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
user123

Downlight

PLC light is E27 lights that have ballast built in. To make it simple, fickle free.

CFL is those lights that you turn on will fickle a few times one lor

yeap those selling at philips are PLC one. Most use E27 or T5 round type.

As for T5 tube, i msg you in private lah :D

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Another suggestion for cove light.

You can use LED strips. With that you no need to worry about the distance to mount the lights.

Cost wise i think it will be slightly higher than T5. But you can change the color of lights with just a remote control.

LED strip may not be very feasible as each led on the strip is 1W, if you have a 4feet, how much W already.

I spoke to one LED distributor locally and he said T5 is already consider very energy saving and easily replaceable when it blown up but when one bulb in LED is faulty, you will have a shadow patch and you can't replace bulb by bulb mah Furthermore painful process if it is hidden inside your false ceiling.

As for T5, just turn and twist, put in a new one, case closed. Many times we consider LED to be better but seriously it is only good for shopping malls, hotels, places that turn on 24/7. For our home, E27 and T5 is good enough. My recommendation, buy something that the spare parts are easy to locate.

LED strip may not be very feasible as each led on the strip is 1W, if you have a 4feet, how much W already.

I spoke to one LED distributor locally and he said T5 is already consider very energy saving and easily replaceable when it blown up but when one bulb in LED is faulty, you will have a shadow patch and you can't replace bulb by bulb mah Furthermore painful process if it is hidden inside your false ceiling.

As for T5, just turn and twist, put in a new one, case closed. Many times we consider LED to be better but seriously it is only good for shopping malls, hotels, places that turn on 24/7. For our home, E27 and T5 is good enough. My recommendation, buy something that the spare parts are easy to locate.

thanks Doc for the info. Btw lightings.com.sg charge $18 for delivery

Just to share; I did a little homework on the feasibility of having the LED strip for cove lights for my hall as well.

Sure enough, as shared by Dr.Anarchy, one of the lights guy (from IMM bestech) mentioned that one LED would consume some 1 watt of power.

However digging deeper though a webby (with intention of purchasing) www.ledlightsworld.com, published that 1 LED would consume actually only 0.08W :dribble:

Neverthleless after some calculations, I conquer with Dr.Anarchy that it is still more convenient to have T5 over LEDs.

In a nutshell, should I have 24feet of LED strip, it would costs me $222 (inital purchase costs, including transformer, connector, excluding shipment from the ledlightsworld) running at a mere 37Watts. Electricity bill will amount to about $20.56 annually assuming I switch on 5hours daily over a year.

Cmp to 6 T5 tubes which would amount to $90 (from lightings.com.sg) running at 168Watts. Electricity bill will amount to about tp $93.36 annually on the same assumption of 5 hours daily over a year.

So there you have, LED would save up to 78% however it will take some 2 years to breakeven And assuming that the individual LED still maintain its performance. Having the LED strip installed in my current home 2 years ago, I withness some 5 LEDs out of 3m of LEDs already fused.

My 2-cents worth.

Edited by dexufto

pckee, yeap im aware of that. I did self collection as I drive so I suggest if you want to save some moola, ask your friend or family for help. Buy them dinner is more worth it then paying $18. ;)

dexufto, good post! Hopefully new owners who are considering to go LED or T5, will understand that saving is not huge enough to justify LED today. I will say give the technology more time to mature and settle in our market first. In technology, never go in first, prefabably almost mature and around the next level of tehcnology is out. This is when the price is affordable and most consumers are using it already.

Is the Philips downlight worth the investment?

Pricing

Philips 160x160 2x14watts $45 per set (price from Lightings.com.sg)

Normal 160x160 2x18watts $24 per set (price from recommanded shops)

Understand that supplier mod the normal down light holder to fit E27 bulb. You can still use Philips E27 bulbs. The only diff is the down light design. The internal of Philips downlight is really full of reflective sheet, whereas normal down light is lesser.

According to the salesman, this is the reason why Philips need only 14watts and it will save some cost on electric bill. Base on the pricing, it almost double. If we purchase 10pcs, its about $210 diff.

Pls help to advice. Thank you.

Hi,

I may be wrong, but what i understand is, with PLC, other that electricity consume by the bulb, u also need to factor in the power consumed by the ballast ( 10w per ballast, as what demo by 1 of the lighting.com.sg salesman, for a 2 x 18 watts, power consumed is actually 50 plus watt)

but just curious how come only philips selling the E27 type down light?

i saw some 1 at AMK industrial park selling a modificed E27 down light with Philips/ OSRAM tube at $19. still consider if its a good buy.

any 1 with experience with E27 down light? i was told by the uncle at AMK, a 22W E27 is as good as 2x18W PLC

not sure true not

Hi,

I may be wrong, but what i understand is, with PLC, other that electricity consume by the bulb, u also need to factor in the power consumed by the ballast ( 10w per ballast, as what demo by 1 of the lighting.com.sg salesman, for a 2 x 18 watts, power consumed is actually 50 plus watt)

but just curious how come only philips selling the E27 type down light?

i saw some 1 at AMK industrial park selling a modificed E27 down light with Philips/ OSRAM tube at $19. still consider if its a good buy.

any 1 with experience with E27 down light? i was told by the uncle at AMK, a 22W E27 is as good as 2x18W PLC

not sure true not

To me, the only diff is the downlight itself since the tubes are the same. So basically i am paying more for the Brand and Design of the downlight.

If you are alright with the modified downlight then go ahead. What they modified is just the holder for the tubes only. Since nothing else is require as everything is inside the tube.

Above comment is just base on my understanding only.

Zingwalker, E27 bulb like the genie doesn't consume 10W just for the built in ballast. 14W that is. Anyway what the guy who demo is those modified type one use for ceiling lights I guess?

philips isn't the only one selling, all lightings shop do sell E27 fitted downlights.

pckee, yes tube is the same but do take a look at the finishing, it is using cement type not expose. I remember someone post something that if you are getting downlights, don't get those wire exposed ones.

Got more budget get philips lor, tight budget get those oem one lor since all made in china :D

anyone know whether E27 bulbs come in "cool white colour? around 4000K colour.

coz intend t buy philips downlight with E27 fitting. but they only available in "daylight 6500K and warm white 2600K. no cool white.

any other places selling brands E27 in other colour temperature? thanks

coz intend t buy philips downlight with E27 fitting. but they only available in "daylight 6500K and warm white 2600K. no cool white.

168 Trading at 305 Jalan Besar got sell GE Brand E27 bulb, in cool white.

Psst.. dun tell others.. cos this is the only place I know got sell.

168 Trading at 305 Jalan Besar got sell GE Brand E27 bulb, in cool white.

Psst.. dun tell others.. cos this is the only place I know got sell.

Alrite!!! Thanks!!! Finally got a solution to philips lights!! Will buy their fitting without bulbs then buy cool white separately!!

[/quote

u can try out this warehouse in eunos.. they have 4000k daylight colour as well for downlights :)

I went around looking for downlights and i was introduced to LED type, however the price was shocking! Untill i was told by my friend to visit this company, they are having a promotion now and the price is affordable. I emailed them and went to their warehouse to see the lights, the reply is very prompt and they provide 2 years warranty in which first year is 1 to 1 exchange warranty. Quite happy with their service and decide to share it, below is the link.

http://forum.punggol.org/index.php/topic,15506.0.html