Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mae29

Extreme Makeover @ Pandan Gardens

I went back during lunchtime and met the Project Manager Mr Lee and my ID, Donny. Both arrived at site to see the progress and work inspection. As I had insisted a certain work sequence for laying the floor tiles especially in my master bedroom, I overheard the Project Manager calling the boss of the sub-contractor to convey my instruction.

Today, only 2 tilers are working at my house - excellent tiler Ah Lim and one worker who is helping out with cleaning up the place. Heard from tiler Ah Lim that their boss dare not send 'kuching kurat' tilers over to my place even those experienced tilers are also avoided unless their workmanship is Superb. I was told that good tilers will come 3 days later....and I am patiently waiting as I won't compromise quality with time.

I am particularly impressed by the level of support and service provided by my ID and this ID's firm. In an era where exceptional one-to-one customer service excellence has virtually disappeared from the designing firms & renovating firms, and the horrifying bad experiences recorded by some forumers using reputable firms, I am glad that the immediate responses that my ID and his firm did by promptly acting on customers requests had compelled me to go on record with my praises for them. :):good::good:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Revised 3D drawings from Donny:

These revisions were received from ID on 14-Dec-2010:

Living room - height of TV console raised higher

vwke_b2c_uc4it.jpg

Kitchen - Drawers for bottom cabinet (will be installed with Blum runners). As I have bought a huge side-by-side doors fridge, the bottom cabinet overall length is affected. I may end up with only the drawers and not those swing door cabinets near to the fridge seen in 3D drawing.

oyud_8c7_uc4it.jpg

Another angle seen with the store room in 2 full height aluminium frosted glass sliding doors. I don't like to see junks around, even store room also has to be 'sui sui', neat & tidy inside out! On the left side aligning with the sliding door is a full height shoe cabinet.

oyud_a08_uc4it.jpg

The Stove & Sink Area, revision received from Donny yesterday. You will note there is no cooker hood as I seldom cook at home. The 2 big and deep drawers in Blum runners which I asked ID to change last week, are incorporated. The top drawer under the stove is for stoneware or porcelain pots while the bottom drawer is for Metal pots and pans, according to the productive cycle of 5 elements: Fire produce Earth, Earth produce Metal.

Further, from fs perspective, the stove cannot be seen from the door entrance, hence the full height wooden panel is erected to shield its view from side door.

oyud_0d0_uc4it.jpg

I will be posting the rest of revised 3D drawings which Donny sent me yesterday when I have time to upload later this evening.

Edited by mae29

Just received a call from office of my FSM. My official move-in date suitable for me & my family members is either 20 January or 01 February 2011, timing is between 11am to 1pm. Looks like I will settle for the later date.

Prior to official move-in date, I will move back our barang barang stored at my sister's place on Sunday, 30 January 2011. On officially move-in date, we will just lug a bag of our new clothings, then cook something for family to eat together. This is the instruction from my FSM. :)

...continued with the 2nd revision to 3D drawings received from my ID yesterday:

Most changes were made to sliding doors of wardrobes from laminate finish to frosted glass as ID did mention that full height laminate door may warp over time, say after 3 years or so, and thus gliding may not be as smooth as originally installed no matter how good the aluminium track or material used.

Bedroom 3 - for feng shui reason, we removed the mirror facing the bed, and second son likes the lime green colour :)

hdrt_808_uc4it.jpg

Bedroom 4 - for eldest son. We changed the mirror facing the bed to frosted glass door. The original brownish laminate is also changed to solid color for lasting look. To be frank, I do not fancy those woody grainy brown laminate. I prefer clear, simple plain laminate.

hdrt_1d5_uc4it.jpg

Last but not least, this is the changes to my Master Bedroom. Besides changing the laminate door to frosted glass, ID changed the greenish blue laminate wardrobe to solid white for aesthetic reason, to blend in with the white powder coated windows and aluminium sliding mirror door at toilet. This white laminate will also blend well with any of the coloured bedsheets. As I like white colour theme, this change suits me perfectly! :D

w5oc_667_uc4it.jpg

w5oc_019_uc4it.jpg

Progress photographs:

Base for washing machine ready today when I went up after work this evening:

grq4_2ea_uc4it.jpg

The electrician had came and stock up the material for installation which begins tomorrow. Noted the carton of Cat 6 cables by the side? This brand of Cat 6 cable is commonly used for office environment...better transmission & connectivity.

grq4_b8f_uc4it.jpg

During the course of renovation, I would condemn the bad workmanship and compliment if the quality of works meets my satisfaction.

As of today, the floor tiles are laid at livingRoom and dining area, and partially done at the new bedroom. Now, still waiting for the contractor to send their 'Chief' tiler to take over and lay the tiles to the rest of the flooring.

As I have mentioned in earlier post, I am the type of person who is not easy to please and I am impartial when it comes to praises and reprimandation.

Having said that, other than the flaws detected in earlier post done by someone else who is now bar from working at my house, I am continually impressed by tilers' meticulous attention to details, their unfailing attempt to alert me of any unforeseen circumstances in the course of renovation works to my Kitchen, Service Balcony and Toilet/Bathrooms walls and floors. The tilers, especially Ah Lim, trully deserves my praises for their fine workmanship...and these photographs speak a thousand words:

Service Balcony:

Near dustbin / toilet area: Wall tiles neatly and nicely done up! Good alignment & good workmanship.

grq4_662_uc4it.jpg

At the window area: Wall tiles neatly laid and well aligned at the ledge of windows.

grq4_09a_uc4it.jpg

grq4_7f4_uc4it.jpg

Kitchen / Dining Wall tiles also nicely done up.

grq4_73c_uc4it.jpg

:good::good::good::thumbs up:

Edited by mae29

Yesterday was the first day of our electrical works and the electrician came with an assistant. As for masonry work, only tiler Ah Lim was alone working on the concrete base for store room and touch up work.

When I thought I could relax and no need to visit them during lunch (nothing much to inspect), I had a missed call and an sms from ID, Donny. He was at my place having lunch with the electrican and asked if I am joining them, and he needs to confirm with me the electrical points. When I saw his message, it was like 45 mins later and I immediately took a cap from Jurong East where I had lunch with my colleague to meet them.

Tiler Ah Lim told me that my ID had asked him to re-do the floor trap at the kitchen which is now an open space (for my garden), as the original drainage system done by JTC some 30 years ago did not come with the collar (sleeve?). :fire: I will take a picture and explain later.

You see, it is not so easy to revamp an old house as you will never know what to expect in the course of renovation. I count myself luckly that my ID, Donny, who has over 10 years of experience in executing renovation works and design, can detect such a construction flaw due to his involvement in project management. :good:

Edited by mae29

Today, the contractor boss came with the Chief tiler and one assistant. The man standing in blue shirt is the Boss, and Chief tiler is laying the floor tiles inside the master bedroom. Standing outside with the Boss is an assistant.

grq4_721_uc4it.jpg

grq4_45b_uc4it.jpg

Chief Tiler at Work, seriously!

grq4_324_uc4it.jpg

....and the assistant at work...

grq4_1cc_uc4it.jpg

Hi Mae29,

Do u find ur ID is good enough for the management and the workmanship? if they do, can u PM me their contact and overall how much u spent for the whole reno and wiring things?

thanks

Hi, macy84

For my ID, I would give him 100% of my vote for his promptness in resolving issues which is inevitable in the course of renovation especially to my 30 year-old flat, with so many hacking and demolitions, and at a peak period with the contractors when home owners rush to complete their renovation.

Most important part of my evaluation criteria is his involvement in the project from design inception to project delivery and his speedy, efficient response to site issues. This ID's firm has another project manager assigned to overseeing renovation works, but my ID is the key person who is co-ordinating the works for me. No barrier, no mis-communication and no mis-understanding. All -in - one Integrated service from him. His name is Donny, and I will PM you more information.

I am hoping that he has the time to attend to any recommendations, as this period he is extensively involved in my home renovation, as you can see from my post that he visits me and conduct site inspection like 3-4 times a week personally!

:good::good::thumbs up:

Edited by mae29

Progress photographs:

The floor trap at the mini 'garden area' with missing collar, detected by my ID. :) Never crossed my mind that I would lift up the floor trap and see what is missing below it. The most I would be checking is whether the water will get choked or not, without knowledge on such a thing....Thumbs Up to my ID. :thumbs up::thumbs up:

grq4_8b3_uc4it.jpg

Electrical Installation in progress...2nd day...wires are dangling everywhere today

1bvm_0ed_uc4it.jpg

Wires dangling in master bedroom

1bvn_cb1_uc4it.jpg

Wires rolled up....

19bp_47e_uc4it.jpg

Edited by mae29

Remember the mis-aligned wall tiles which tiler Ah Lim rejected mentioned in Post #131? Besides my good ID Donny, tiler Ah Lim is also a GEM! You tell me which worker is brave enough to reject his counterpart's work? If his boss saw this post, I think he will get angry and faint :angry::argue:, and Ah Lim will get fired for alerting one super fussy owner! !!

So, you will understand why I am willing to sacrifice my lunch time to walk back home daily to buy food & drink for him! My efforts is paid off as tiler Ah Lim is helping me to keep an eye on everybody's workmanship!

16sq_355_uc4it.jpg

A piece of wall tile at the common bathroom with a very very very minor chipped corner will also be replaced. I know most of you may not notice it and will just let it go, as it was all white color and nobody could have spotted it! But, sorry hor....NOT for me hor! I walk back home daily during lunchtime and one more trip in the evening daily to check the workmanship hor! Tiler Ah Lim knows exactly my expectations, and as soon as he spotted this chipped tile, he told me that he will remove it and by the time I went up this evening, this is what I saw.

180k_e6f_uc4it.jpg

Flooring at the new converted Bedroom 4 is now completed by the Chief Tiler, after a 3-days stoppage due to 'fussy' owner, ME, and my ID who asked to replace the previous careless tiler.

grq4_d77_uc4it.jpg

Master Bedroom flooring completed today.

grq4_782_uc4it.jpg

With the good progress, I believe the only bedroom flooring, ie. Bedroom 3, will be done by tomorrow.

Stay tune with my updates....

Edited by mae29

Some forumers had PM me asking why I am installing additional network cable for OpenNet connectivity, and also question on brand of Cat 6 cables.

Here is the close up shot of the cable installation done today:

m7uf_5c6_uc4it.jpg

For Category 6 cable, the brand is "SYSTIMAX", made in Ireland. I got the box of cables through a friend who works in the IT department of a public listed company. I know most of house owner or even the electrician will buy the Cat 6 cables from Sim Lim Square, but my friend advised me not to buy from there as the quality is not that good.

Edited by mae29

Yesterday, 08:49 AM

mae29 wrote:

Tiler Ah Lim told me that my ID had asked him to re-do the floor trap at the kitchen which is now an open space (for my garden), as the original drainage system done by JTC some 30 years ago did not come with the collar (sleeve?).  I will take a picture and explain later.

Yesterday, 08:47 PM

mae wrote:

The floor trap at the mini 'garden area' with missing collar, detected by my ID.  Never crossed my mind that I would lift up the floor trap and see what is missing below it. The most I would be checking is whether the water will get choked or not, without knowledge on such a thing....Thumbs Up to my ID

Mae, congratulations! You have a responsible and reliable ID, and an excellent tiler. Both of them will make your house reno much easier.

Mae, where did you buy the collar for installation in your kitchen floor trap? What about the floor traps in the toilets? Are they similarly without collars and need to be fitted with collars?

You are very busy and excited, right?

Hi, countblessings

Thank you for your message. Indeed, I have a good and reliable ID whom I can truly trust upon. I am busy because I am 'kay-poh' as my workplace is nearby and I can walk home during lunchtime to see the progress. My ID is taking care of coordinating, inspection and resolving all site issues and even reminding me on what to buy and so on.

As for the collar for the drainage, I think the tiler ordered it himself. He is on leave today and I will ask him on Monday when he comes back to do the touch up.

Here, I wish you & everyone a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

May all of you have a successful & pleasant reno journey!

:)

Yesterday, 08:49 AM

mae29 wrote:

Tiler Ah Lim told me that my ID had asked him to re-do the floor trap at the kitchen which is now an open space (for my garden), as the original drainage system done by JTC some 30 years ago did not come with the collar (sleeve?).  I will take a picture and explain later.

Yesterday, 08:47 PM

mae wrote:

The floor trap at the mini 'garden area' with missing collar, detected by my ID.  Never crossed my mind that I would lift up the floor trap and see what is missing below it. The most I would be checking is whether the water will get choked or not, without knowledge on such a thing....Thumbs Up to my ID

Mae, congratulations! You have a responsible and reliable ID, and an excellent tiler. Both of them will make your house reno much easier.

Mae, where did you buy the collar for installation in your kitchen floor trap? What about the floor traps in the toilets? Are they similarly without collars and need to be fitted with collars?

You are very busy and excited, right?

Some forumers had PM me asking why I am installing additional network cable for OpenNet connectivity, and also question on brand of Cat 6 cables.

Here is the close up shot of the cable installation done today:

m7uf_5c6_uc4it.jpg

For Category 6 cable, the brand is "SYSTIMAX", made in Ireland. I got the box of cables through a friend who works in the IT department of a public listed company. I know most of house owner or even the electrician will buy the Cat 6 cables from Sim Lim Square, but my friend advised me not to buy from there as the quality is not that good.

After this post was up, I received pm asking for these cables. Just to inform that I have let go the balance of Cat 6 cables to someone who had pm me much earlier.

Let me seek permission from my "supplier" and find out from him where can get the brand I am using for Cat 6 cables. Stay tune....

Merry Christmas to Everybody!