Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mae29

Extreme Makeover @ Pandan Gardens

Progress photograph....

How the plumber hide away the stainless steel pipes in toilet @ MBR, avoiding the shelves...

grq4_130_uc4it.jpg

The switches for the lights.......

tmpph64191.jpg

The 'problematic' toilet switch was relocated immediately after my ID called the electrican. Comes with 12 year warranty for such product? LOL

grq4_c47_uc4it.jpg

....and our unique 2-pin friendly socket...

grq4_d4c_uc4it.jpg

Edited by mae29

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
....and our unique 2-pin friendly socket...

grq4_d4c_uc4it.jpg

This is very useful. Where did you get it from? Is it more expensive than the normal socket?

This is very useful. Where did you get it from? Is it more expensive than the normal socket?

It is definitely useful as my children used all kinds of equipment / devices which comes with 2-Pin only. Even hair dryers also comes with 2-pin....

I asked the electrician to source for me. I paid additional $16 for each double sockets, and $9 for each single socket.

It is cheaper than I got from Sheng Shiong which was dismantled, which I paid about $20 for each single socket.

Here is the picture of the old one we installed..

48s0_c3d_uc4it.jpg

Progress photographs today:

Glass works done....

Partial shower tempered glass screen for toilet @ MBR....too cramp for full shower screen!

grq4_e96_uc4it.jpg

Glass block at Livingroom & Bedroom 4 is also ready. ID told me that they apply a coating on the rough side to prevent finger prints. :rolleyes:

grq4_4cc_uc4it.jpg

The livingRoom is still bright after the TV partition and glass block are up..

grq4_e9e_uc4it.jpg

A peep through the back door....

grq4_fae_uc4it.jpg

i must say, you've spent an extraordinary amount of time and detail in recording your renovation work, which is extensive!

i love blogs like these, nitty gritty and all in detail, makes it seem as if all forum members are right there with you. thanks for sharing!

Progress photographs today: continued

Painting started today with first white coat by 2 Singaporean Malay painters:

grq4_d55_uc4it.jpg

The Livingroom, as viewed from the window opening at Kitchen

grq4_a80_uc4it.jpg

I am looking forward to the kitchen makeover!

pou8_8c0_uc4it.jpg

...and finally the toilet at MBR...you see the 30+year-old wall tiles?

tkpa_ef4_uc4it.jpg

In 1999, I overlaid the floor tiles & changed the WC bowl when I moved in 11 years ago. Prior to that, my ex-husband (now deceased) and me had spent over $100K on our previous flat at Kim Tian and this sum of money was eventually gone down the drain when we sold the flat 5 years later!. So, I was like 'down-to-earth' and thought not wise spending so much on renotalk on this Pandan Garden flat at that point in time.

Now, for my children's sake, the extreme makeover plan began in November 2010!

i must say, you've spent an extraordinary amount of time and detail in recording your renovation work, which is extensive!

i love blogs like these, nitty gritty and all in detail, makes it seem as if all forum members are right there with you. thanks for sharing!

Hi, hi

I am putting up this reno-blog to keep my children informed of progress. We have moved out during this reno period, and sometimes, my children stay with their friends. So, this forum is our communication channel to keep them update on our reno journey.

Further, as I am alone handling and overseeing the reno works, some good kind soul here can help me & guide me along the reno journey, providing useful & constructive feedback, suggestions, etc, so that I am in sync with current norm and work practices on renovations.

Edited by mae29

Good, I would confirm the trunking though through the apartment as the first picture I replied to looked like two sets of normal trunking stuck together. Separation in a single trunking should see you fine up to 1GBit. For greater speeds it is still advised to leave 6"->12" between power and unshielded cat6 cables. I would imagine you will not see an issue, certainly at the moment and hopefully fibre will come in before too long with the new superinternet installing fibre to the door (FTTD). Fibre is far more forgiving in the laying but very fussy in the termination :D.

RB

I guess most electricians here will stick to using the same trunking with internal compartment for dual type cables. Not much of a choice, but is the practice here.

RimBlock, your electrician using the same trunking as mine? :sport-smiley-018:

grq4_74d_uc4it.jpg

Edited by mae29

Items bought over the long weekends:

Have also bought Sofa & coffee table at Mode Studio (total damage only $1,287).

This is the coffee table which I bought from Mode Studio @ $399.

grq4_d5b_uc4it.jpg

...and the 'half set' of 3-seater sofa. Original length is 1.85m but I asked to shorten it to 1.8m length. I also asked them to make the back cushion 'fuller' & firmer.

Actually, the sofa set comes with 3-seater + chaise lounge, but my converted livingroom cannot accommodate the complete set.

The original price for complete set is $2999, now selling at $1899. I asked the salesman if I can buy only half the set and was happy that he gives me the nod. So, bought this 3-seater at final price of $888, quite a good deal as the saleman told me he has to 'sell' that chaise lounge at $1000! :sport-smiley-003:

grq4_4c8_uc4it.jpg

For the coffee table, initially saw this set @ $499, at the main entrance to the shop. The salesman was very helpful and he brings it over to put it next to the sofa & let me see how they match. In the end, I find it too big and not that practical with the removable trays on top. So, I bought the above one instead, with 2 drawers for stashing magazines, leaflets inside.

The shipment for both sofa (custom-made in China) & coffee table ETA Singapore 24 or 25 January 2011. I am keeping my fingers crossed that shipment does not delay so they can deliver to my door step on 28-January-2011. Otherwise, they have to 'loan' me the display set!

Edited by mae29

Stove & Gua number

I started a thread on this subject and some forumers had PM me with their queries. Now, let me explain it here:

This model has the row of 4 knobs on the right side as you can see in the picture.

If you stand and face South, then the knobs on your right hand will be facing West.

If you stand and face North, then the knobs on your hand right will be facing East.

Hope this explains how to take facing for the stove.

j87a_bec_uc4it.jpg

I guess most electricians here will stick to using the same trunking with internal compartment for dual type cables. Not much of a choice, but is the practice here.

RimBlock, your electrician using the same trunking as mine? :sport-smiley-018:

grq4_74d_uc4it.jpg

Considering the quote I just got back from the electrician, the trunking for the network cable will be in any trunking I want it to be in as I will be doing it myself and saving around S$800 for laying 12 sets for trunking and putting the cables I supply in to them :jawdrop:

I did get the feeling he was not keen so it seems he over priced them so I can take it out.

RB

Considering the quote I just got back from the electrician, the trunking for the network cable will be in any trunking I want it to be in as I will be doing it myself and saving around S$800 for laying 12 sets for trunking and putting the cables I supply in to them :jawdrop:

I did get the feeling he was not keen so it seems he over priced them so I can take it out.

RB

That's the culture of local electricians/contractors. To them, they simply cannot understand the need for running network cables and electrical wirings separate to reduce interference. Even if you managed to convince them the rationale, having the cables and wires running parallel at a predetermined distance is double the labour required as well as a headache for them as they will have to make sure the 2nd set of cable trunking is aesthetically acceptable...since the most un-intrusive route is already taken up by the electrical wires.

Given all the above considerations, most of them are not keen to take on network laying jobs if the requirement is stringent.

IF you consider $800 for laying trunking is :jawdrop: .....try asking them to do that...concealed :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall:

In the end I just supplied them my own UTP cat 6 cables to be layed concealed with the electrical wires......I gave up fighting :(

Since I am not a hardcore techie...so long as it can get me my smooth HD moving streaming from the NAS ...I'm satisfied. ;)

That's the culture of local electricians/contractors. To them, they simply cannot understand the need for running network cables and electrical wirings separate to reduce interference. Even if you managed to convince them the rationale, having the cables and wires running parallel at a predetermined distance is double the labour required as well as a headache for them as they will have to make sure the 2nd set of cable trunking is aesthetically acceptable...since the most un-intrusive route is already taken up by the electrical wires.

Given all the above considerations, most of them are not keen to take on network laying jobs if the requirement is stringent.

IF you consider $800 for laying trunking is :jawdrop: .....try asking them to do that...concealed :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall:

In the end I just supplied them my own UTP cat 6 cables to be layed concealed with the electrical wires......I gave up fighting :(

Since I am not a hardcore techie...so long as it can get me my smooth HD moving streaming from the NAS ...I'm satisfied. ;)

Sure, I can understand what you are saying but when an estimate of S$300 turns in to a quote of S$600 which then turns in to a revised quote of S$800 it really seems they are not interested. We worked out the cable routes to minimise running with the electrical cables and it is now quite simple. I originally was going to put the cables down myself. I just decided to ask about trunking and it seemed like a good idea at S$300...... Oh well, just need to get the trunking as I have everything else now.

RB

Sure, I can understand what you are saying but when an estimate of S$300 turns in to a quote of S$600 which then turns in to a revised quote of S$800 it really seems they are not interested. We worked out the cable routes to minimise running with the electrical cables and it is now quite simple. I originally was going to put the cables down myself. I just decided to ask about trunking and it seemed like a good idea at S$300...... Oh well, just need to get the trunking as I have everything else now.

RB

Trunking is the cheapest item on the list of items for laying the cable...so it should not be a problem or a hassle to obtain. :good:

Anyway, it will be good to see your DIY cable laying effort once u are at it cos so far I have never seen any Renotalker actually laying the CAT 6 cables to spec..ie. observing minimum distance from electrical wires in a separate run of trunking :)

I can do with some practical examples for my next reno ;)

When are u laying your network?

Trunking is the cheapest item on the list of items for laying the cable...so it should not be a problem or a hassle to obtain. :good:

Anyway, it will be good to see your DIY cable laying effort once u are at it cos so far I have never seen any Renotalker actually laying the CAT 6 cables to spec..ie. observing minimum distance from electrical wires in a separate run of trunking :)

I can do with some practical examples for my next reno ;)

When are u laying your network?

I'm interested to visit and see how it's done too! :P