Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Tango81

Tv Feature Wall - Wall Paper, Carpentry Vs Tiles

Hello people =)

what are your takes on the various materials for TV feature wall?

Wall paper versus carpentry works vs tiles.

There can be very pretty tiles these days and i thought they are quite suitable to be used for feature wall. Seemingly it can be quite cheap, costing as cheap as $3 psf, and i heard carpentry feature walls can be very expensive.

=)

tango

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Carpentry feature walls eats up built-in space. Wall paper with texture would make a good wall.

Title are okay.. if they fixed properly :)

My contractor is saying that wall papers don last in our climate and overtime will start to fray etc etc. Also that wall paper companies will charge bulk amount because im just gonna wall-paper one side of wall; and not the entire house. True?

my house's quite small. think i'll give carpentry a pass.

hmm dilemma....

Carpentry feature walls eats up built-in space. Wall paper with texture would make a good wall.

Title are okay.. if they fixed properly :)

Well, how long do you want wallpapers to last?

Even with paint you have to repaint every few years...

If you're doing carpentry you can use it to hide the cables around your TV area, as well as storage.

Wallpaper and tiles would only serve to beautify.

Alternatively you can always paint that wall a different colour, and use paint effects to texturise the wall.

Something like this

ragging.gif

Which you can probably DIY.

Hope this helps.

My contractor is saying that wall papers don last in our climate and overtime will start to fray etc etc. Also that wall paper companies will charge bulk amount because im just gonna wall-paper one side of wall; and not the entire house. True?

my house's quite small. think i'll give carpentry a pass.

hmm dilemma....

btw, 1 sq ft of feature wall is ~$100-$150 so a simple feature to cover just the bomb shelter door is $400-600. :) I think you know why contractor prefer that you go carpentry way.

My wallpaper has been up for almost 5 yrs... still look as good as new. :) you could do your wallpaper after you move in, through the curtain shop.. or you may go direct to goodrich.. the wallpaper company. :P get a quote from them now.. and see the prices for yourself.. mine was like 500 for 2 big walls. :)

Edited by Jgal

wow thanks all for your advices.

500 for 2 big walls seem like a good deal. I will check it out. hopefully i find something that is cheap and good. wow typical singaporean. Ai Pi Ai Chi. lol. =)

or maybe just myself.

btw, 1 sq ft of feature wall is ~$100-$150 so a simple feature to cover just the bomb shelter door is $400-600. :) I think you know why contractor prefer that you go carpentry way.

My wallpaper has been up for almost 5 yrs... still look as good as new. :) you could do your wallpaper after you move in, through the curtain shop.. or you may go direct to goodrich.. the wallpaper company. :P get a quote from them now.. and see the prices for yourself.. mine was like 500 for 2 big walls. :)

wow! 2 big walls ar $500!!??

i just got a quote..one wall is almost $600!

maybe the material is different...anyway got to check out goodrich then...thanks!

my from goodrich also 300sg per m from the raffle series but worth every cent of it

my from goodrich also 300sg per m from the raffle series but worth every cent of it

I will be careful with Goodrich though. My wallpaper is from them and because my renovated place is an older site, there are pink stains on the wallpaper. After I called them and my wallpaper company up, they basically told me no solution as it is a known problem. The only resolution is to tear away the wallpaper and paint the wall.

So if you are staying in an older apartment where the walls might be moist ( not able to tell by touch and sight ), very bad water stains can appear on your wallpaper and it will make your place very ugly. Much better to use normal paint in this case. Apparently the newer apartments do not have this problem.

I would choose carpentry, reason:

1) carpentry feature wall hides the cable, that's the main purpose of feature wall.

2) Tiles give a hard feel to your wall, and do you want to see lines on the joints?

3) if you're thinking of putting tiles or wallpaper to the carpentry, then it will be more expensive, laminate is still the better choice.

4) wall paper does peel off over time, especially if you're using for TV wall where the heat will make the paper worse.

Btw, my wallpaper for 1 and a half wall is around $500 from montella, see here:

http://mylittlecasa.blogspot.com/search/label/Wallpaper

I use it for my dining area and for my MBR.

For pictures on my feature wall, click here:

http://mylittlecasa.blogspot.com/2011/09/feature-wall-and-tv-console-in-living.html

Plan your wiring properly if you're doing a feature wall

I would choose carpentry, reason:

1) carpentry feature wall hides the cable, that's the main purpose of feature wall.

2) Tiles give a hard feel to your wall, and do you want to see lines on the joints?

3) if you're thinking of putting tiles or wallpaper to the carpentry, then it will be more expensive, laminate is still the better choice.

4) wall paper does peel off over time, especially if you're using for TV wall where the heat will make the paper worse.

Btw, my wallpaper for 1 and a half wall is around $500 from montella, see here:

http://mylittlecasa.blogspot.com/search/label/Wallpaper

I use it for my dining area and for my MBR.

For pictures on my feature wall, click here:

http://mylittlecasa.blogspot.com/2011/09/feature-wall-and-tv-console-in-living.html

Plan your wiring properly if you're doing a feature wall

hi,

is maintaince required for wallpaper?

went imm and there is a shop with plenty design of wallpaper to choose from.

frankly, i do not intend to use wallpaper in my unit intially, after seeing so many nice designs, am really considering if i should just do it.

hi,

is maintaince required for wallpaper?

went imm and there is a shop with plenty design of wallpaper to choose from.

frankly, i do not intend to use wallpaper in my unit intially, after seeing so many nice designs, am really considering if i should just do it.

There is no maintenance required, but after a long time the paper might tear off by itself.

So far my wall paper still ok after 1 and a half year of pasting on the wall.