Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Tango81

Help! Grout Holes Between Tiles

Hello people,

I have just bought this place. The tiles condition is alright. But the grout between the homogenous tiles are dirty. In addition, there are gaps between tiles. I supposed that the grout fell off over time.

Anyone knows how to fix the dirty grout? Is it possible to fill up the holes/gaps?

Need advices. Thanks!

=)

Tango

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hello people,

I have just bought this place. The tiles condition is alright. But the grout between the homogenous tiles are dirty. In addition, there are gaps between tiles. I supposed that the grout fell off over time.

Anyone knows how to fix the dirty grout? Is it possible to fill up the holes/gaps?

Need advices. Thanks!

=)

Tango

Yes it's possible to diy fill up the grout lines with white or colored cement. Buy some from hardware shop, get a scraper n small tray, mix water to a handful of powder, stir mix well to give a cream cheese consistency n apply between the gaps with scraper. Wait till dry and wipe off excess with damp clean rag. :D

Thanks neubie, =)

sincerely appreciate your advice. I shall try. I assume I can also use the colored cement to "overwrite" the black cement grout to give it a new look?

Any particular brand? I hope the hardware uncle wouldn give me this weird look when i just ask for colored cement. =)

next is to look for a reasonable hardware shop. It seems that the assistants in Diy/homefix dont really specific trade suggestions. old shops are probably better.

regards

Tango

Yes it's possible to diy fill up the grout lines with white or colored cement. Buy some from hardware shop, get a scraper n small tray, mix water to a handful of powder, stir mix well to give a cream cheese consistency n apply between the gaps with scraper. Wait till dry and wipe off excess with damp clean rag. :D

Thanks neubie, =)

sincerely appreciate your advice. I shall try. I assume I can also use the colored cement to "overwrite" the black cement grout to give it a new look?

Any particular brand? I hope the hardware uncle wouldn give me this weird look when i just ask for colored cement. =)

next is to look for a reasonable hardware shop. It seems that the assistants in Diy/homefix dont really specific trade suggestions. old shops are probably better.

regards

Tango

just ask for the color u want. white is the most common, and colored (beige) ones maybe slightly difficult to find. black is ultimate :D sure won't get dirty one ....hahaha....but i haven't seen black cement powder before.... :D

whatever the case, get this spatula (scraper) and the plastic tray ($3.5) as shown...so u can hold the mixed paste in the left hand while applying with the right hand holding the scraper ($2.5).

IMG_1441.jpg

the grout lines are spread over the grout lines as shown....

IMG_1442.jpg

clean out those old cracking grout gaps using scraper to remove, test out the mixture to get the correct consistency, and try out yourself... quite fun oso, like spreading peanut butter on bread like that....hahaha

Edited by neubie

haha....ya black is ultimate. it will also look ultimately weird with my tiles. mine's quite similar to the one you displayed in the photos.

would the cement leave any marking on the tiles after it dries up? it kinda look like patty. or is it patty?

sorry, im not just newbie in reno. I am super newbie. hehehhe

just ask for the color u want. white is the most common, and colored (beige) ones maybe slightly difficult to find. black is ultimate :D sure won't get dirty one ....hahaha....but i haven't seen black cement powder before.... :D

whatever the case, get this spatula (scraper) and the plastic tray ($3.5) as shown...so u can hold the mixed paste in the left hand while applying with the right hand holding the scraper ($2.5).

IMG_1441.jpg

the grout lines are spread over the grout lines as shown....

IMG_1442.jpg

haha....ya black is ultimate. it will also look ultimately weird with my tiles. mine's quite similar to the one you displayed in the photos.

would the cement leave any marking on the tiles after it dries up? it kinda look like patty. or is it patty?

sorry, im not just newbie in reno. I am super newbie. hehehhe

yes, mixed together as a putty to fill up gaps. nope it doesn't stick onto smooth surfaces, the idea is to fill the gaps. once dried, use the same scraper or damp rag to wipe off... haha

if too much trouble mixing, i think homefix sells pre-mixed grout putty in a 1kg tin... but once open liao must use finish, else may dried up and will be useless liao.

Edited by neubie

ohhh so use putty. ok noted. thanks for all your advices. i know what to do now. just hope putty won drop off.

yes, mixed together as a putty to fill up gaps. nope it doesn't stick onto smooth surfaces, the idea is to fill the gaps. once dried, use the same scraper or damp rag to wipe off... haha

if too much trouble mixing, i think homefix sells pre-mixed grout putty in a 1kg tin... but once open liao must use finish, else may dried up and will be useless liao.

ohhh so use putty. ok noted. thanks for all your advices. i know what to do now. just hope putty won drop off.

hihi any feedback if it works? i have this issue and the idea of hecking the floor to 'tighten' the gaps between the tiles sounds totally silly! I tot of seeking repair grout service but its not anywhere available in Singapore at least not to me online. As i even tot of spray-coat the tiles to cover up the grout...sigh......

Anyone experience the grout in your toilet floor is too thin and after scrubbing it disappears. So u see gap between between the tiles and water do flow in. Is it serious? Will it flow down below?

for grout cleaner, refer to what i posted here:

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=47187&view=findpost&p=783087

i actually think the DIY for grout is a good idea :good: i probably may do it some time down the road ... hee ... i think to get the colour you want, should be able to mix it urself out of white ? or at least, that's what my tiler did leh... :unsure:

btw, i dunno about that HCLxx thing a lot of ppl r posting about... :dunno: i'm actually wondering if they are from that company since that's what all their posts are about ... :notti: