Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ymjp100

Aaab's Hjem

Hello hello, after lurking around for the longest time, we have finally decided to start a renovation blog. 99% of the renovation has been completed while the remaining 1% will take the rest of our lifetime together.

To start, the floorplan:

jackson_aileen_nest.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

We had engaged Steven from Ideal House who did a fantastic job managing the renovation project for us. Having read the nightmarish experiences of some of the forumers, we thought we were really lucky to have Steven oversee the project. This was what he showed us the second time we met:

Foyer (Shoe Cabinet):

shoe_steven_110%20mcnair_a.jpg

Living Room:

liv_steven_110%20mcnair_a.jpg

Living Room (Tv Wall):

tv_steven_110%20mcnair_a.jpg

Dining Room and Kitchen:

kit2_steven_110%20mcnair_a.jpg

Kitchen:

kit1_steven_110%20mcnair_a.jpg

We had already agreed about 80% of the space planning at the second appointment but we made significant changes to the colour scheme of the first set of 3D pictures he had shown us.

More 3D pictures from the second appointment.....

Masterbed Room:

mbr1_steven_110%20mcnair_a.jpg

Walk-in Wardrobe (Cupboard):

mbr2_steven_110%20mcnair_a.jpg

Walk-in Wardrobe (Vanity Counter)

mbr3_steven_110%20mcnair_a.jpg

We cannot remember how many appointments and revisions we had in the end. But there were quite a few. The Ideal House office at Upper Serangoon Road soon became a weekend haunt for us. As were Balestier Road, Jalan Besar and Harvey Norman. We had the luxury of time because this was our first home and we had about 6 months before the actual work started. No pressure from having to vacate where we were staying. This was important because some renovation horror stories arise from time pressure placed on the renovators to complete by a certain date.

This set shows the toilets. Nothing particularly fanciful.

Common Toilet (Level 2):

cbath_steven_110%20mcnair_b.jpg

Masterbed Room Toilet:

mbath_steven_110%20mcnair_b.jpg

We decided to have a bathtub in the masterbed room toilet after some struggle with issues such as practicality, water usage and frequency of use. We finally decided to go ahead and even contemplated having a jacuzzi feature built in, albeit a low-end model. Sense overcame sensibility and we settled for a normal bathtub. It could come in useful should we ever host a huge party as we could utilise it as a ice-bucket. :P

Masterbed Room Toilet:

mbath_steven_110%20mcnair_b.jpg

We decided to have a bathtub in the masterbed room toilet after some struggle with issues such as practicality, water usage and frequency of use. We finally decided to go ahead and even contemplated having a jacuzzi feature built in, albeit a low-end model. Sense overcame sensibility and we settled for a normal bathtub. It could come in useful should we ever host a huge party as we could utilise it as a ice-bucket. :P

i used to have a jacuzzi bathtub. In the 10 years i had it, only less than 5 times i use the jacuzzi, less than 10 times i used the bath tub to have soaking bath. Plus got to tediously scrub the walls of the tub. So better think twice abt having a tub.

Some "before" photos to share.

Entrance and Foyer area:

PB106273.JPG

There was a concave feature which we weren't sure if it was for fengshui reasons. We didn't ask and we knew we didn't want it.

PB106276.JPG

Kitchen:

PB106268.JPG

PB106269.JPG

The sink was where it was expected. But we moved it to somewhere rather unexpected. You can see where it was re-located in the 3D pictures of the kitchen. The stove was originally sited practically next to the sink. But since we were moving the sink, the stove tagged along as well. Moreover, we read somewhere in the forum about having one's back face the entrance of the kitchen while cooking is not good because someone walking into the kitchen quietly may give the cook a fright.

Dining Room:

PB106306.JPG

Although the previous family had been living in the house for 19 years, they have kept it very clean and everything was well-maintained. It was in a move-in condition if you weren't fussy. A fresh coat of paint, a good scrub and new sets of sanitary ware for the toilets for hygiene reasons and you would be good to go.

This was the state of the house before the previous family moved out. They were the second owners of this 24 year old Executive Maisonette. We made about four visits before we the 2nd appointment. The first two were to view. The last two were to take photos and show to our ID.

i used to have a jacuzzi bathtub. In the 10 years i had it, only less than 5 times i use the jacuzzi, less than 10 times i used the bath tub to have soaking bath. Plus got to tediously scrub the walls of the tub. So better think twice abt having a tub.

Yup, we read on a number of other reno t-blogs, renotalkers advising new owners on the usefulness of a bathtub. In the end, we did have a bathtub and no jacuzzi feature. The bathtub is also used as a standing shower too because we fixed a rainshower and and handshower above it. We are a new couple and when we do have kids, we shall be using it more frequently. My wife's nieces and nephew enjoy having a dip when they come over on weekends. It was a luxury item spent within our means.

For the record, we have used the bath for a soak twice since we moved in. ;)

Well in the end, round about sometime in middle of March 2010, we started the renovation. The final 3D drawings are posted below.

Foyer:

shoe_steven_110%20mcnair_c.jpg

Dining Room:

dine_steven_110%20mcnair_c.jpg

Dining Room looking into Kitchen:

kit2_steven_110%20mcnair_d.jpg

Kitchen:

kit3_steven_110%20mcnair_d.jpg

Kitchen (alternate view):

kit1_steven_110%20mcnair_d.jpg

Like your 3D designs. You have the same layout as my new place (26yr old EM) under renovation now and we hope to move in by Jan 2011. Yours are in better condition than mine. Hope to see more pic of your completed home.

Hi ymjp100,

Nice reno design. Would you be really taking away the grills from the stairs?

Thanks leechaorui. The railings have been removed. It was a pity because they were in a fantastic condition. Probably only needed re-varnishing. We had wanted to retain them but felt that they do not fall in with the rest of the design.

In the end, we had glass panels to replace the railings. Like those found at shopping malls. We asked for the glass panels to be fixed only at the top and second flight of steps. The first flight is without panels. However, we had our ID cater for "future growth" by having the option of fixing two more panels on the first flight of steps.

I re-read the reply above and it confuses me. I shall take some pictures and post them.

Like your 3D designs. You have the same layout as my new place (26yr old EM) under renovation now and we hope to move in by Jan 2011. Yours are in better condition than mine. Hope to see more pic of your completed home.

I see that your EM is at Jalan Rajah! We were looking at the area too. Was the previous owner a Malay family? Or was it the unit on the top floor?

I shall post more pics this evening.

I see that your EM is at Jalan Rajah! We were looking at the area too. Was the previous owner a Malay family? Or was it the unit on the top floor?

I shall post more pics this evening.

It was a chinese owner plus at the top floor. It was rented out and the condition were every bad, but we like the locate and the overall surrounding. Will start my blog once I move into my new home.

It was a chinese owner plus at the top floor. It was rented out and the condition were every bad, but we like the locate and the overall surrounding. Will start my blog once I move into my new home.

We had viewed three unit in that estate and I recall the first was a unit on the ground floor. The valuation then was $503K and the owner was asking for $80K cov. Like yours, it was a tenanted unit and conditions were bad. However the good thing about buying a re-sale in poor condition is that you will not hesitate to do a major overhaul on the unit.

Top floor is great! Especially if it is situated further from the PIE and the Bukit Timah drainage system. The neighbourhood is very quiet and amenities are relatively nearby. Enjoy the renovation process and hope to see your t-blog soon!