Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Tango81

Vanity Cabinets In Toilet....would It Decay Fast?

Hi People,

Im renovating my toilet now. Need some advice. Is it practical to build cabinets in toilets? Vanity usually come in such design. Would the material decay fast? If not, what material should I use? Need help. Thanks!

regards

Tango

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

but vanity nice wor....

if not, i also dunno what to do with the empty space and look the toilet look 'classy'.

=)

My advice is not to have vanity in toilet cause it will not last long with the moisture surrounding it

Do not use chipboard.

Normal plywood is ok if the toilet is airy.

If the toilet is perpetually damp, then need to use marine grade plywood.

Try to oversize the vanity cabinet so can have largest possible front mirror.

Will make toilet look bigger, and can store tons of toilet paper inside the vanity cabinet.

Also, incoroporate vanity lighting at top and bottom.

My advice is not to have vanity in toilet cause it will not last long with the moisture surrounding it

I strongly agree..i juz deleted that item from my ongoing reno. nice is nice..but wood and water dun go well :D togather

If ur shower area is encased in tempered glass, then ur vanity drawers are on the other end of the toilet, it should be ok. My parents' vanity drawers r made of solid wood; it's been 6 years but I don't see any decaying or mould set in.

I suppose it depends very much on maintenance & how u use them.

Anybody installed an exhaust fan to overcome this? Is it effective?

Usually after a hot shower, the next person to step into the bath will feel damp and warm due to high moisture content. A ventilator helps to purging out these warm moist air and helps reduce mold growth. Hence it'll not stop the decaying but slow down the process.

But if not mistaken there are full acrylic types that will outlast any wood cabinets anytime, but is costly.

No chipboard, kena water will expand fast and ....

Best not to put "wood" stuff in bathroom/tiolet, particular when area is small.

If "must" put, fix it high, not below basin.

Change all to stainless steel screws.

No mercury mirror.

Edited by godloveyou

I dont find it practical to have a vanity in the toilet. When u need to wash e toilet, u need to be very careful in order to avoid any water contact with the vanity. In e long run, the vanity will not last.

I feel that even i have a ventilation fan shower screen, having a vanity will not be able to last long....

That my own opinion...

i have a vanity wooden cabinet with solid surface top to hold the basin. barely a year my cabinet turns mouldy near the outlet piping area (the area where they drill a hole in the cabinet to house the outlet pipe) due to water seeping thru sillicone sealed spaces. it was a shocker for me when i first realise that mushrooms, real mushrooms, though in smaller blooms, were growing out of it! vacuuming the area was hardly sucessful as the 'roots' were pretty stubborn, my husband used his bare hands with plastic gloves and managed to pull the bits and pieces out.

i am shifting again soon and have yet to come up with ideas for my next house renovation especially the area under my basin..

I dont find it practical to have a vanity in the toilet. When u need to wash e toilet, u need to be very careful in order to avoid any water contact with the vanity. In e long run, the vanity will not last.

I feel that even i have a ventilation fan shower screen, having a vanity will not be able to last long....

That my own opinion...

according to my parents, the wood must be of good quality and properly treated so it can last in the toilet. my parents' vanity cabinet in toilet has been around 28 years (yes you didn't read wrongly).

i have a vanity wooden cabinet with solid surface top to hold the basin. barely a year my cabinet turns mouldy near the outlet piping area (the area where they drill a hole in the cabinet to house the outlet pipe) due to water seeping thru sillicone sealed spaces. it was a shocker for me when i first realise that mushrooms, real mushrooms, though in smaller blooms, were growing out of it! vacuuming the area was hardly sucessful as the 'roots' were pretty stubborn, my husband used his bare hands with plastic gloves and managed to pull the bits and pieces out.

i am shifting again soon and have yet to come up with ideas for my next house renovation especially the area under my basin..

if really want a cabinet below sink, how about constructing a cement one with tiles finish? it may sound old fashion but at least it's lasting.

You have this problem due to your ID/contractor cut corners n did not use the right type of wood.

Like earlier posting, u need to construct your cabinet in the toilet with marine grade wood which will last u at least 15 years without mold or mushroom problems nor will it rot due to water/dampness

My dad who is a retired carpenter "die die" disagree with the idea of vanity. But then finally give up as my co "die die" prefer to have one.

I've the shower screen installed, and the vanity is with abs trim. I cross my finger if it will last for the next five years... being in the marine line, I've yet to see any timber that last for more than a year w/o major maintenance.