Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
oinkoink1999

Advice Needed: Main Gate Bottom Latch

Hi all,

I re-lay my front tiles at the gate and the original holes for the bottom latch has been covered up. Just like to check with anyone who has the same situation with me, do you leave it as it is or you drill a hole onto the new tiles. Will it crack because my tiles comes with pebble patterns.

I'm more concerned on security issue if I only latch the top gate but not the bottom one though I will lock my gate at night.

Thanks~!

oinkoink

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi all,

Can I ask how many of the forummers here drill holes for the gate and main door bottom latch after laying the tiles? Is it safe if the bottom latch is not drilled because my tiles comes with pattern and will crack or chip if the worker drill a hole to latch the door.

Thanks~!

oinkoink

my wrought iron gate installer advised me to drill a hole in the tiles for the bottom latch, as it will be more secure...so I agreed and he did. He was very careful and did a very slow drilling till he got past the tiles.

my wrought iron gate installer advised me to drill a hole in the tiles for the bottom latch, as it will be more secure...so I agreed and he did. He was very careful and did a very slow drilling till he got past the tiles.

Hi micah4,

yes i know...it can be done if your tiles are flat but problem is my tiles at the foyer is of pebble design so i cannot be drill on an uneven surface..somehow it will crack or get chipped offf......was wondering if there are other workarounds...

oinkoink

my gate & main door latch to the top but main door we put extra latch to the sides. no hole to the floor. scared of poor workmaniship (crack tile) and dun wan to clean sand n dust inside the hole :)

Hi micah4,

yes i know...it can be done if your tiles are flat but problem is my tiles at the foyer is of pebble design so i cannot be drill on an uneven surface..somehow it will crack or get chipped offf......was wondering if there are other workarounds...

oinkoink

oh yah, the problem you're facing needs a "think out of the box" solution and my point was it's better to secure it by a bottom latch. samantha's idea seem good, u might see about doing a side latch if at all possible.

my gate & main door latch to the top but main door we put extra latch to the sides. no hole to the floor. scared of poor workmaniship (crack tile) and dun wan to clean sand n dust inside the hole :)

hi samantha & micah4,

thanks for the advise. The idea of side latch surfaced today when I highlighted this to my ID. Did you position your side latch at the bottom of the door so it's least visible and locked it everyday at night? Most probably i will do that...LOL...

oinkoink

hi samantha & micah4,

thanks for the advise. The idea of side latch surfaced today when I highlighted this to my ID. Did you position your side latch at the bottom of the door so it's least visible and locked it everyday at night? Most probably i will do that...LOL...

oinkoink

between door handle & floor. the latch is similar color to the handle, so it gives an overall 'part of door handle' visual.

or can choose those hotel type 'chain' latch or flat type of latch & place slightly above/below door handle. i think it wil look least visible2

between door handle & floor. the latch is similar color to the handle, so it gives an overall 'part of door handle' visual.

or can choose those hotel type 'chain' latch or flat type of latch & place slightly above/below door handle. i think it wil look least visible2

u mean between the door handle and the door correct? I have decided to position it at the bottom and pain it same color as the door so it looks least visible...

cheer~!