Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
iangohye

Sunsets And Greenery

Hi there,

My friend lives in one of these 4A units! And their kitchen layout is v similar to what you wanna do, with the dining in the kitchen itself, and it is definitely quite tight, like what hermione has mentioned, there is no space to get out. They ended using stools rather than chairs for their dining area. Also not sure if you guys are gonna cook a lot, u might wanna factor in more kitchen storage space? And washing area - dun think there is enough space for the cloths rack and still have space to walk ard.

I visited another 4A unit in the area. You may have seen the property ads. This may give u an idea of how they utilised the kitchen space.

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/hdb...reet-13-2030127

Nice unit btw. :) Wish I have money to buy one of those! I love the greenery view.

Edited by strikingreality

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hello! Welcome to RT!

With regards to space planning (especially in the kitchen), you might want to draw to scale--it will help you visualise the space usage. Also, as a general rule, there should be about 90cm clearance space for easy movement. Floorplanner has a function that allows you to measure out the space between your furniture and walls etc, so you can have a more accurate picture as to how big (or small) the space is.

Thanks.

Actually we plan on just using a contractor. Wife is design savvy so we arent using an ID. Anyway, we dont really like the designs that IDs have nowadays. Our opinion is that its too sleek and glossy and it doesnt have a very homely feel. But thats just a personal opinion, no offense to anyone here :P

Heres a tentative layout plan i whipped out:

proposedlayout-1.jpg

Those colors are placeholders only. Wife would def want to change it haha

hi welcome to RT, sorry for late welcome - but better late than never right :rolleyes: very nice layout its homey and clutter-free :good:

good choice on going with a contractor, there really is an overwhelming sense of satisfaction when your ideas get turned into reality. as long as you get a contractor who can translate your ideas, you should be set!

good luck & all the best - hope you enjoy the transformation and have a good relationship with your contractor...i know i did :yamseng:

Edited by titanax

Phew i just completed my wedding last saturday... really enjoyed myself. I honestly had to say it was the best fun ive had in a long time.

But now thats over, i can focus on the reno!!!

We saw that same unit too. In fact we bidded for it, but the owner got too greedy and kept looking for people to bid up the price. Didnt seem like there was an end to their greed so we gave up on that one.

Anyway, yup the 117 kitchen is a good layout... we are definitely considering that layout now.

Hi there,

My friend lives in one of these 4A units! And their kitchen layout is v similar to what you wanna do, with the dining in the kitchen itself, and it is definitely quite tight, like what hermione has mentioned, there is no space to get out. They ended using stools rather than chairs for their dining area. Also not sure if you guys are gonna cook a lot, u might wanna factor in more kitchen storage space? And washing area - dun think there is enough space for the cloths rack and still have space to walk ard.

I visited another 4A unit in the area. You may have seen the property ads. This may give u an idea of how they utilised the kitchen space.

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/hdb...reet-13-2030127

Nice unit btw. :) Wish I have money to buy one of those! I love the greenery view.

Yup we are redoing the entire layout to scale as much as possible. But we have been advised that our original kitchen plan will still be very tight.

Hello! Welcome to RT!

With regards to space planning (especially in the kitchen), you might want to draw to scale--it will help you visualise the space usage. Also, as a general rule, there should be about 90cm clearance space for easy movement. Floorplanner has a function that allows you to measure out the space between your furniture and walls etc, so you can have a more accurate picture as to how big (or small) the space is.

thanks titanax, we like our layout too.

We already have ideas so would probably go along with a contractor to save some cash. IDs i notice can get quite expensive.

hi welcome to RT, sorry for late welcome - but better late than never right :rolleyes: very nice layout its homey and clutter-free :good:

good choice on going with a contractor, there really is an overwhelming sense of satisfaction when your ideas get turned into reality. as long as you get a contractor who can translate your ideas, you should be set!

good luck & all the best - hope you enjoy the transformation and have a good relationship with your contractor...i know i did :yamseng:

thanks titanax, we like our layout too.

We already have ideas so would probably go along with a contractor to save some cash. IDs i notice can get quite expensive.

Hi,

Can upload some photos after your reno? I have the same layout as per your floor plan.

Cheers:) Emobebe

Thanks.

Actually we plan on just using a contractor. Wife is design savvy so we arent using an ID. Anyway, we dont really like the designs that IDs have nowadays. Our opinion is that its too sleek and glossy and it doesnt have a very homely feel. But thats just a personal opinion, no offense to anyone here :P

Heres a tentative layout plan i whipped out:

proposedlayout-1.jpg

Those colors are placeholders only. Wife would def want to change it haha

Ianhohye, my house layout plan is same as yours. We have our dining area in the kitchen and we find it quite okay.

P1070373.jpg

Dining area, divided out from the kitchen and floor raised to level with the living room

P1070374.jpg

We sacrifice the kitchen table space.

P1070270.jpg

P1070497.jpg

To counter the lack of working space we have extendable & pull-out tables

P1070270.jpg

P1070497.jpg

To counter the lack of working space we have extendable & pull-out tables

very smart space-saving ideas.

how "stable" are the extendable counter when you are using them? ok to withstand load?

:)

Hi,

Can upload some photos after your reno? I have the same layout as per your floor plan.

Cheers:) Emobebe

Reno is still ongoing right now. Ill upload pics when its all done up nicely.

Ianhohye, my house layout plan is same as yours. We have our dining area in the kitchen and we find it quite okay.

ohh if i understand correctly, your layout is mirror image from mine?

Love the idea of dividing the original kitchen into kitchen + dining. But wouldnt the kitchen be a bit tight?

ohh if i understand correctly, your layout is mirror image from mine?

Love the idea of dividing the original kitchen into kitchen + dining. But wouldnt the kitchen be a bit tight?

Yup, my house the mirror image of yours.

What is your meaning of tight- Not enough working space? or small kitchen?

Edited by sheepz

very smart space-saving ideas.

how "stable" are the extendable counter when you are using them? ok to withstand load?

:)

Csingeu, they are quite stable. They are meant for dishes, so it does not weight alot A good load of 5kg should be okay

Yup, my house the mirror image of yours.

What is your meaning of tight- Not enough working space? or small kitchen?

yup like kitchen top and dining space. but looking at your kitchen and dining pics still looks esp with the extendable table.