Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Nuar

Our Reno Adventure

Hi Nuar,

hope I'm not too late to welcome you to renotalk.

Congrats. Today is the commencement of your reno works?

I bet you are excited.

All the best for your reno journey.

I have been a silent reader for about half of the year and finally it’s time to start our renovation story.

We just recently signed up for 30 years loan for tiny 3rm flat. :) This is our first own place. The flat is about 30 years old, original condition, and looks like any other 3NG flat. We do not plan any major modifications except for hacking down the wall between the kitchen and living room to create more space. As mentioned, condition of the flat is quite poor, although it was properly maintained for the past 30 years, but never renovated. You still can see those old type of wires hammered on the piece of wood on the walls, original HDB toilet bowls, tubes, sinks, etc… So, to refresh the old house we are planning to change EVERYTHING from windows to entrance grill.

We are getting keys on December 28. Seller requested to stay for 1 more week, till Jan 4th. The renovation will start the next day. We were hoping to move in before Chinese New Year, even if the reno is not complete, but the actual move in date will depend on renovation progress.

So far we have selected ID, confirmed the design, chose tiles and bought bathroom and kitchen hardware.

After finalizing the ID we went with him to select tiles for kitchen and bathroom. He also passed us catalogues to select laminate for wardrobe and kitchen cabinet, kitchen worktop, paint, and parquet samples.

Prior to this my husband and me already spent countless evenings discussing desired design layout, kitchen cabinets, color themes, lights location etc. So, after doing a proper homework choosing tiles was quite easy. Finished within an hour.

Next we went to buy the hardware and appliances for our kitchen and toilets.

We bought:

- stove (Fujioh)

- hood (Fujioh)

- oven (Fujioh)

- kitchen sink, tap and matching chopping board (don’t remember the brand)

- toilet bowl (Mclaire)

- wash basins & taps for bathrooms

- water heaters (Joven)

- ceiling fans (Crestar)

- all accessories for bathrooms

At the moment we are in process of selecting laminate for kitchen cabinet and wardrobe. This turned out to be more difficult than choosing tiles, since there are so many similar textures. I asked ID to show me bigger piece of laminate, hopefully it will make my decision process easier.

I will try to keep this blog updated regularly, and also add some pictures later tonight.

Wow, this is one original squat design, I suppose you are upgrading to the Mclaire sit Waste Center?

For the time being, here are the "BEFORE" pictures.

IMAG0069.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi Nuar,

hope I'm not too late to welcome you to renotalk.

Congrats. Today is the commencement of your reno works?

I bet you are excited.

All the best for your reno journey.

Wow, this is one original squat design, I suppose you are upgrading to the Mclaire sit Waste Center?

Hi, Dexufto, thanks.

Yes, I can't wait till 5:30pm when I can rush from office to my home to have a look. Luckily I work only 20mins away from my new place. :)

Yup, we are converting a squating to the normal McLaire WC. :)

Even though my husband and I generally love "good old tranditional" stuff, but not to that extend. :)

what a yucks 'before' flat, wondered how did they managed to live thru.

just wanna say, i can't wait to see the 'after' flat

Hi, berry_surprise,

Thanks for stapping by.

well, I think this flat is still not as bad as some 3rm that they show on RenoAID. :))))

Even though everything looks very old, but everything is functional, and no leaks or fungis was found. After all the ex-owners were the only owners of the flat (for 30 years), they are old couple and maybe were not able to take care of flat due to health condition, so can't blame them. (Actually they moved out coz mother couldn't climb starecase any more, and the lift is not upgraded yet).

Anyway, we are changing everthing here, so it's gonna be totally transformed. :)

Looking on the toilet pictures - I'm wondering - how do they make sure that small debris does not fall down into sewege pipes? With so much trash on the floor - it's very easy to block the pipes... How to clean later??

And they didn't stick a HDB reno permit outside of the main door. maybe forgot? Is it compulsory that the HDB permit must be displayed outside? I saw it many times when passing by renovated flats, but not sure if it was done volunteerly or it's a regulation.

Does anyone know about it?

Looking on the toilet pictures - I'm wondering - how do they make sure that small debris does not fall down into sewege pipes? With so much trash on the floor - it's very easy to block the pipes... How to clean later??

And they didn't stick a HDB reno permit outside of the main door. maybe forgot? Is it compulsory that the HDB permit must be displayed outside? I saw it many times when passing by renovated flats, but not sure if it was done volunteerly or it's a regulation.

Does anyone know about it?

It's mandatory to prominently display reno notice else if neighbor complain n Hdb comes, will look for owner trouble n issue demerit points to the involved contractors.

It's mandatory to prominently display reno notice else if neighbor complain n Hdb comes, will look for owner trouble n issue demerit points to the involved contractors.

oh, I see. Need to remind them to display then.

Thanks for information.

Hi Nuar

hope I am not too late to welcome you!

Wonder what's yr decision about the drawer vs basket issue? I find that between the two, drawers are a better bet. Baskets can be flimsy, and sometimes when you have too much to put into the basket, the items may fall behind.

Also your point about cabinet depth being 600mm, and drawers being less deep. Yes, it's true, but that's taking into consideration concealed pipes. For my case, the drawers are only 400+