Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
csingeu

Our Lil Paradise

Hmmm... Dilemma...

I called my contractor this morning and scolded him and told him I'll replace the wash bins, but would not pay for the reinstallation. He grudgingly agreed, after much exchange of words.

After checking with Royal Franco, it was expected that we would not be able to exchange for a different model, as we sort of already installed this one. however, Lina (Royal Franco) informed us that most top-mount-only basins, that are fully "wrapped" at all sides, do not have the hole for the tap, as the tap would be a tall one, installed on the surface top instead.

We called Sim Siang Choon and they confirmed it is true, but they might have 1 or 2 models at Changi south branch which suits our needs.

So even if we changed to top-mount-only basins, we might still have to buy new (tall) taps... it's a total waste of money...

I sms-ed this pic below, which I took, after the initial "mistake", which I thought was ok, to my contractor...

01%20Washbasin%20with%20backsplash%20cut.JPG

This pic shows the wash basin flushed to the wall, with the backsplash skirting cut.

and this was how my mum has told me to insist my contractor to do, as she felt the few cm difference at the back is irritating, as mentioned previously..

1. asethetically it's nicer, as the ugly "backside" is covered up

2. maintenance-wise, it's easier, as we do not have to clean up the small "ridge" in-between the wall and the basin...

3. money-wise, it's the cheapest - my contractor will do it for free, as it's their "mistake"

but my contractor called me up after that, to inform that they will do it if i really want it, but i'll have to sign at idemnity form to discharge them from any duties, should the washbasin leaks from behind, and the cabinets get water-damaged... or my mirror will spoil, etc.

i was ok to sign the form... as i felt that, if the cut was done properly, and then sealed up properly, the chance of leaking is very low...

the other issue would be that, you might have to stretch out your arms a little more when you are using it, which I thought was ok...

i measured the distance, it's abt 4 cm difference only...

then the solid surface guy called me (most likely my contractor informed him), and advised me against cutting the backsplash and flushing to the wall... as they have seen many cases of water leaking due to such installation... he advised me to do box-up with solid surface. I told him i was ok with the idea previously, as my contractor, mentioned it's a mere tens of dollars for one bathroom, but it came up to $150 per bathroom... so it's $300 for 2, which i thought was quite steep...

i didn't want to pay any money at first, as i felt my contractor/plumber should be responsible for not sounding out that the wash basins i've bought may not be suitable, and to clarify with me... but they didn't... they just assumed and blindly went ahead to install... (talk abt 10+ yrs of experience.... :curse::curse::curse: )...

and i was willing to pay $100 max...

he decided to lower to $250... and then $200 (after some bargaining)... he highlighted that the material cost itself was abt $220-230 and that he would waiver the service charge, and also give a bit of discount to make it $100 per bathroom...

$200 is still too much for me... but i was ok to accept it, just to get over it and close the case...

he also mentioned that if they were to cut, they would use silicone to seal the edges... but over time, the silicone might peel, due to wear and tear, and water can then seep in thru the edges and flow down to the cabinets at the parts, whereby the backsplash is cut...

i'm in a dilemma now...

should I :

1. pay the $200 and get them to do the solid surface box-up for the 2 bathroom wash basins (though if i were to pay, i would want my contractor to co-pay half of it; but might not be "successful" la)?

2. just insist that they cut the skirting, and shift the wash basins in at $0... and the most, next time, I apply my own silicone sealant to touch up lor?

I'm more inclined for option 2... coz i dun want to pay anymore money for their stupid mistakes...

what do you think?

:dunno:

Edited by csingeu

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

That is what I understand for top mount sink, no hole for tap. Friends78 had to change tap too due to top mount.

I think I would do option 2 too. That sound much simpler as changing to another sink will be more problematic. Also I can imagine they might say pushing in then the solid surface will be scratch since the initial was a bit out. Or that solid surface hole doesn't fit if you push back.

so much talk about weddings here!! my first one was so long ago digital photography wasn't even invented yet!

better get back to csingeu to talk about his reno!!

That is what I understand for top mount sink, no hole for tap. Friends78 had to change tap too due to top mount.

I think I would do option 2 too. That sound much simpler as changing to another sink will be more problematic. Also I can imagine they might say pushing in then the solid surface will be scratch since the initial was a bit out. Or that solid surface hole doesn't fit if you push back.

Wah.... May_dream good memory... Yah loh... I kept going back to Henry (Royal F) to change my stuff, from sink to tap and accessories. Countless times until they don't even need me to bring receipt, remember my name, blk and unit no by heart... So paiseh....

Csingeu, I will opt for opt 1. Cos your sink quite 'high' or deep and your wifey quite petite... Might have problem bending forward when pregnant... Maybe I think too far lah... But I used to have this problem during pregnancy in my previous flat....

Wah.... May_dream good memory... Yah loh... I kept going back to Henry (Royal F) to change my stuff, from sink to tap and accessories. Countless times until they don't even need me to bring receipt, remember my name, blk and unit no by heart... So paiseh....

Csingeu, I will opt for opt 1. Cos your sink quite 'high' or deep and your wifey quite petite... Might have problem bending forward when pregnant... Maybe I think too far lah... But I used to have this problem during pregnancy in my previous flat....

ok la...

maybe i should just close 1 eye, pay the $200 and get over and done with it...

it's taking a toil on my mental health... LOL... and affecting work... argh...

they did the 2nd round of painting touch-up today... i guess things are really coming to an end soon...

some more items pending...

- curtain guy coming to install curtain tracks tmr morning, followed by

- re-varnish paraquet floor 2nd time...

- install glass backing for kitchen counter wall...

- install chimney hood & hob

- general washing... on Friday

- IKEA delivery (my queen-sized bed for the guest room) on Sat

- Cellini Home Package + tv console + bean bag + Kong Tai electrical appliances (fridge, washing machine, standing fans) coming in on next Mon

- Movers coming in on next Wed with our barang-barang

- Curtains and roller-blinds to be installed for bedrooms and day curtain to be installed for living & dining room (the material for night curtains for living/dining room is out of stock at the moment) next Thu morning

- maybe arrange for KEC to come next next Sat to install the projector screen, projector & HTS setup...

we should be more or less settled in 2 Sats later...

and then I'll be on course for 2 weeks (incl 1 week to China... likely Tianjin, Suzhou for 5 days)...

that's abt it le...

Can't see the pics here at work but we had a square top mount sink in the last place and that had the tap mounted on the sink. There were quite a few around but they were all square or rectangular.

You cna see it in the pics of our old MBR toilet in the beginning of my blog.

RB

we should be more or less settled in 2 Sats later...

and then I'll be on course for 2 weeks (incl 1 week to China... likely Tianjin, Suzhou for 5 days)...

Bro csingeu

Things are moving and coming to a halt soon! Congrats!

When are you going to China? I am leaving on past midnight of 8-July to Beijing and then connect flight to UrumQi, Xingjian, Xian and then back to Urumqi and Beijing again on 20-July for holiday.

Bro csingeu

When are you going to China? I am leaving on past midnight of 8-July to Beijing and then connect flight to UrumQi, Xingjian, Xian and then back to Urumqi and Beijing again on 20-July for holiday.

Wah, so much travel, holiday will be packing and unpacking suitcases :D.

RB

:(

I'm in bad health recently...

last Sat, saw TCM for my backache problem; need to "push" back the misaligned disc...

Mon, saw GP for throat inflammation and lung infection, on 2-day MC and antibiotics course...

Wed, went back to office, feeling just as bad (due to office aircon & a lot of sick ppl ard), body still aching...

Today, went to see GP to get another 2 more days of MC to rest at home... and just came back from TCM to realign another disc (which has been causing me to have backaches for the past few days)...

mae29 was still cautioning me abt taking care of my health... and so fast, something happened...

on another sad note, my uncle just past away in msia ytd, and my parents and my sis went back to attend to the funeral, except me, as I wasn't feeling well and in the midst of shifting house...

yes... movers came ytd and shifted the boxes over...

my wife was "unemployed" for this week, and took the opportunity to do some unpacking...

our furniture came... and boy... they were huge... totally underestimated their bulkiness... slight tingle of regret... coz it made the space look smaller... and my king-sized bed-frame... i can only double-face-palmed...

curtains are partially up (as the fabric for the night curtains for my dining/living rooms are out of stock at the moment)...

got the LPG and the hob set up... but realised the gas pipe is in the way of my drawers underneath...

I wonder if there's some kind of right-angled or L-shaped gas connector, i can use... and where i can get them from...

unpacking and cleaning... it's quite a chore... esp when i'm not in the best shape now... just feel like lying down whole day and rest my back...

no more pics for now... as i intend to get everything up and going first... esp with the furniture...

we are still hoping to live in this weekend...

but we haven't gotten our quilt & quilt covers, and fitted bedsheets, and some trivial stuffs...

house-warming gatherings will likely to be in Aug or so... as i'll be away most of Jul...

Bro csingeu

I'll be in Tianjin and Suzhou from 17th to 22nd Jul... study/work trip... need to write report and do presentation when I'm back in SG... argh...

Take care bro, try to lighten up too. Moving in will be a happy occasion, there are much more things to smile at than to argh at!

Most impt thing to make the weekend stay-over a reality is the bed and toiletries! Bedsheets, quilt, etc.

Brother

Weather is no good - rain & shine in between! You got to relax & take good care of your health, as your chart did reveal Water & Earth Elements contamination. That's why I asked you to change your MBR bed to face one of your favourable direction.

I also fell sick for past 2 weeks already!! I know I will get well just in time for my China trip, after Jul 7 when Sickness star 2 leaves my bedroom!! Arghhh!!!

Brother RB

Yup, my trip involved flying from city to city in China!!

Do take care of yourself!! It's stressful enough with all the packing, moving and unpacking! Try to relax as much as you can!!! Jia you!!

get well & feel better soon, think positive and look forward to enjoying your new home after all the hard work and efforts put in!

:(

I'm in bad health recently...

last Sat, saw TCM for my backache problem; need to "push" back the misaligned disc...

Mon, saw GP for throat inflammation and lung infection, on 2-day MC and antibiotics course...

Wed, went back to office, feeling just as bad (due to office aircon & a lot of sick ppl ard), body still aching...

Today, went to see GP to get another 2 more days of MC to rest at home... and just came back from TCM to realign another disc (which has been causing me to have backaches for the past few days)...

Unfortunately public transport and office environments are fantastic for spreading viruses. I tend to make sure, as much as possible, to stand and face away from coughing, sniffing people and use the antiseptic hand wash when in the office. Money can also be a good source of contamination as well.

mae29 was still cautioning me abt taking care of my health... and so fast, something happened...

on another sad note, my uncle just past away in msia ytd, and my parents and my sis went back to attend to the funeral, except me, as I wasn't feeling well and in the midst of shifting house...

Our best wishes go out to you and your family during this time of sadness.

yes... movers came ytd and shifted the boxes over...

my wife was "unemployed" for this week, and took the opportunity to do some unpacking...

our furniture came... and boy... they were huge... totally underestimated their bulkiness... slight tingle of regret... coz it made the space look smaller... and my king-sized bed-frame... i can only double-face-palmed...

I blame, at least in part, the 3D drawings that are produced as they tend to skew the perspective and give the impression of there being more than enough space for the biggest of items. This is where the online space planning programs can help but it is difficult to do this if you are in a shop and see the 'must have, oh it is so gorgeous' bit of furniture.

I wonder if there's some kind of right-angled or L-shaped gas connector, i can use... and where i can get them from...

unpacking and cleaning... it's quite a chore... esp when i'm not in the best shape now... just feel like lying down whole day and rest my back...

Call the gas people and they may be able to help you although they may well charge you for it.

Hope your back feels better, did anyone find out why your discs were misaligned and suggest anything that can be done to stop it happening again ?

RB