Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
edelweiss

Mould Bugs On The Walls And Roof

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hello everyone.

I have the same problem with mould and those bugs.

Tried spraying insecticide everywhere but they came back afterwards.

Really at a loss because using poison seem too invasive esp with my wife being pregnant.

Any idea if repainting over the walls using anti-mould paint (thereby cutting off the mould as their food) might help?

Thanks.

chiamt02,

Insecticide won't work well with the bugs - if there's just a few of them left surviving, they'll start reproducing and you'll see another bunch of them again!

Do you notice any mould growing on the walls? Or if the walls are damp?

Put your hands on the walls and you can feel whether the walls are damp (compare the various walls in the house - living area, bedroom, etc)

For effective result, you'll need to remove old layer of paint first. Need to use sandpaper and sand it off.

If the wall is damp, you might need to apply a layer of sealant first before painting over with anti-mould paint.

Apply two layers of sealant, allow each layer to dry properly before you apply the next layer. Sealant can be applied like paint using roller paintbrush. After sealant is totally dry then paint over with anti-fungal paint.

Whole process might take up to one day for just one wall. Best that you ask your wife to stay at another place first coz the sealant smell is very strong, and plenty of dust during sandpaper process.

chiamt02,

Insecticide won't work well with the bugs - if there's just a few of them left surviving, they'll start reproducing and you'll see another bunch of them again!

Do you notice any mould growing on the walls? Or if the walls are damp?

Put your hands on the walls and you can feel whether the walls are damp (compare the various walls in the house - living area, bedroom, etc)

For effective result, you'll need to remove old layer of paint first. Need to use sandpaper and sand it off.

If the wall is damp, you might need to apply a layer of sealant first before painting over with anti-mould paint.

Apply two layers of sealant, allow each layer to dry properly before you apply the next layer. Sealant can be applied like paint using roller paintbrush. After sealant is totally dry then paint over with anti-fungal paint.

Whole process might take up to one day for just one wall. Best that you ask your wife to stay at another place first coz the sealant smell is very strong, and plenty of dust during sandpaper process.

Hi blue_skies,

thanks for your replies.

my walls feel dry enough to me.... cold though.

some yellow spots here and there, perhaps are moulds but not really as bad as my wardrobe and dressing cabinets which have really full grown mould :(

As wife is pregnant now, old folks' tale says cannot paint here, paint there so im quite at a loss.

did you encounter these mould bugs? do you know if they are dangerous? or can the infestation get really bad?

i tried to feed my finger to them, realized they dont bite or climb on my fingers so i am hoping they dont bite humans.

other than being black spots on my white walls, they havent been that disruptive to my life.

any ideas whether they could become dangerous to health?

thanks.

All painting company don't remove all old layer of paint and sandpaper the wall, they also don't use oil base sealer and apply 2 layers of sealers. oil base sealers really smelly, next door neighbor also can smell it.

It took at least 2 days to complete painting.

Edited by dean

did you encounter these mould bugs? do you know if they are dangerous? or can the infestation get really bad?

i tried to feed my finger to them, realized they dont bite or climb on my fingers so i am hoping they dont bite humans.

other than being black spots on my white walls, they havent been that disruptive to my life.

any ideas whether they could become dangerous to health?

thanks.

Those tiny bugs seem quite harmless to me although in large numbers, they are a disgusting sight to have on your walls and ceilings...BUT!!! the mold can be extremely harmful to humans. Depending on the type of mold and sensitivity of an individual, one can get various long term effects on the health by just inhaling the spores from the mold. Your priority is to remove the mold for your health sake, shortly the bugs will also dissapear when their food source is gone. Please refer to my earlier reply in this same thread.

The key is to keep mold away long term. Just wiping with a wet cloth or vacuuming it away may give one the false sense that it is gone but it is actually not gone. They will continue to grow. You will need chemical warfare and the least toxic anti mold (to humans and environment) is Borax. The effect of borax is also the longest compared to other household mold cleaners such as bleach, vinegar, Ozone gas, Lysol spray. I have tried all them including some I did not list here, but found nothing beats borax and yet it is the cheapest of them all. This is for your info only.

Edited by Topspin

Those tiny bugs seem quite harmless to me although in large numbers, they are a disgusting sight to have on your walls and ceilings...BUT!!! the mold can be extremely harmful to humans. Depending on the type of mold and sensitivity of an individual, one can get various long term effects on the health by just inhaling the spores from the mold. Your priority is to remove the mold for your health sake, shortly the bugs will also dissapear when their food source is gone. Please refer to my earlier reply in this same thread.

The key is to keep mold away long term. Just wiping with a wet cloth or vacuuming it away may give one the false sense that it is gone but it is actually not gone. They will continue to grow. You will need chemical warfare and the least toxic anti mold (to humans and environment) is Borax. The effect of borax is also the longest compared to other household mold cleaners such as bleach, vinegar, Ozone gas, Lysol spray. I have tried all them including some I did not list here, but found nothing beats borax and yet it is the cheapest of them all. This is for your info only.

Hi Topspin,

Can you give me the best website to order Borax from?

Thanks.

I had bought a novita dehumidifier about $450. At first refuse to buy cos quite ex and what if it dun solve the problem. But wife insist on buying. about 1 month of use, I can say that the bugs is getting much lesser til it's barely noticeable. U just take turns for each room and leave the dehumidifier on and it just solve the problem. Furthermore, if ur house got lots of leather items ie bags, sofa etc, u will realise that the mould really get lesser or no more.

I had bought a novita dehumidifier about $450. At first refuse to buy cos quite ex and what if it dun solve the problem. But wife insist on buying. about 1 month of use, I can say that the bugs is getting much lesser til it's barely noticeable. U just take turns for each room and leave the dehumidifier on and it just solve the problem. Furthermore, if ur house got lots of leather items ie bags, sofa etc, u will realise that the mould really get lesser or no more.

When use dehumidifier, is it to turn off fan and close door and close window while using? you bought novita ND290?

Edited by dean

When use dehumidifier, is it to turn off fan and close door and close window while using? you bought novita ND290?

Yup. For bet results, close the door and window, switch on dehumidifier only. I always switched it on before going to work. After coming back home, u will realise the air in the room is a bit dry. I think mine is ND290. The lowest in electricity comsumption.

Yup. For bet results, close the door and window, switch on dehumidifier only. I always switched it on before going to work. After coming back home, u will realise the air in the room is a bit dry. I think mine is ND290. The lowest in electricity comsumption.

How much ur monthly pub bill? U switch on 24hrs? U put dehumidifier in room n move it to another room?

I think to buy ND296 or ND290. ND290 retail $469. Where u buy at $450.

Hi Cannonsiao,

You mean a dehumidifier can kill the mould that are already growing?

I can understand if it can prevent new moulds from growing but existing ones already growing in the walls die as well?

Where u buy ND290 at $450? HN sell at $499. But novita brochure stated price $469.

do u think can buy from this site novita ND290i

i want to buy Novita ND290i because completed painting whole house 1week ago.

Edited by dean