Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
edelweiss

Mould Bugs On The Walls And Roof

Those tiny bugs seem quite harmless to me although in large numbers, they are a disgusting sight to have on your walls and ceilings...BUT!!! the mold can be extremely harmful to humans. Depending on the type of mold and sensitivity of an individual, one can get various long term effects on the health by just inhaling the spores from the mold. Your priority is to remove the mold for your health sake, shortly the bugs will also dissapear when their food source is gone. Please refer to my earlier reply in this same thread.

The key is to keep mold away long term. Just wiping with a wet cloth or vacuuming it away may give one the false sense that it is gone but it is actually not gone. They will continue to grow. You will need chemical warfare and the least toxic anti mold (to humans and environment) is Borax. The effect of borax is also the longest compared to other household mold cleaners such as bleach, vinegar, Ozone gas, Lysol spray. I have tried all them including some I did not list here, but found nothing beats borax and yet it is the cheapest of them all. This is for your info only.

hi Topspin,

i am wondering have you tried baking soda and/or vinegar for your mould problem previously?

can you share your experience with them?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi, Topspin,

You mentioned "Borax Powder" ie mix it with water to wipe the cabinets etc... Is this "Borax Powder" the same as 20 Mule Team Borax Powder?? Thanks in advance .... :yamseng:

You cannot buy borax powder in Singapore as they are controlled to prevent food manufacturers adding it to the food like noddles and dumpling illegally. I buy them from US websites instead. Don't cost much.

Hi, Topspin,

You mentioned "Borax Powder" ie mix it with water to wipe the cabinets etc... Is this "Borax Powder" the same as 20 Mule Team Borax Powder?? Thanks in advance .... :yamseng:

You cannot buy borax powder in Singapore as they are controlled to prevent food manufacturers adding it to the food like noddles and dumpling illegally. I buy them from US websites instead. Don't cost much.

how much does borax cost to ship to singapore? $8USD+$9USD shipping for 1 pound of 20 pound?

Is it novita ND290i have alot of problem and very noisy?

Edited by dean

My electrical bills differ every month. Actually if u can on air con and zzz, the dehumidifier electricity bill should be considered cheap. I on it almost 24hrs. Just put it at different location of the house everyday.

I dunno if the dehumidifier can wipe off mould which are already grown on the wall. But it's true that the bugs get lesser. Maybe lesser mould for them to feed on?

I bought my dehumidifier from Harvey Norman when they are having $50 discount for the dehumidifier. So it's $499 - $50. Quite a good deal. Can check with HN again and see if the promotion is still on.

My electrical bills differ every month. Actually if u can on air con and zzz, the dehumidifier electricity bill should be considered cheap. I on it almost 24hrs. Just put it at different location of the house everyday.

I dunno if the dehumidifier can wipe off mould which are already grown on the wall. But it's true that the bugs get lesser. Maybe lesser mould for them to feed on?

I bought my dehumidifier from Harvey Norman when they are having $50 discount for the dehumidifier. So it's $499 - $50. Quite a good deal. Can check with HN again and see if the promotion is still on.

HN selling $499, novita website selling $469. but ND290i currently out of stock in singapore. Is the dehumidifier very noisy when operation? this site selling for $440, not sure can order or not. free delivery

Edited by dean

chiamt02,

Yellow spots usually mean water seepage....

You need to try and ret rid of the mould in your wardrobe and dressing cabinets coz the bugs will be happily feeeding off the mould on these!! Re-painting the walls would not be useful if the bugs are all in the wardrobe and dressing cabinet.

HN selling $499, novita website selling $469. but ND290i currently out of stock in singapore. Is the dehumidifier very noisy when operation? this site selling for $440, not sure can order or not. free delivery

Noise confirm will have but it's not loud. If u r light sleeper, dun put it inside the room. Just put the dehumidifier in other room when u r sleeping.

Noise confirm will have but it's not loud. If u r light sleeper, dun put it inside the room. Just put the dehumidifier in other room when u r sleeping.

u on dehumidifier for 24hrs and all your window closed? sob sob Novita ND290i lowest voltage dehumidifier whole singapore no stock. new stock will be on late mar-apr 2012.

alot of people bought Novita ND290i on dec 2011 that why it is out of stock.

Edited by dean

Hi Dean,

My neighbour and I have been fighting the booklice problem with varying success. The two most effective (and relatively safer) methods are these insecticides we've bought separately:

1) Bio-X Lullaby (or Bio-X d'bug) - blue spray bottle costing about $23 in Home DIY, Self Fixit, or some Pet shops.

(http://www.petloverscentre.com/products.php?DepartmentID=1&DeptCategoryID=9&ID=11501&action=detail)

2) A cheaper alternative is a big white bottle with a green label titled "Potion Three Bed Bug Pesticide", which you can find at $56 or so at the Home DIY Store (That's where I bought mine).

Use these sprays to coat the areas where the booklice are frequently found and you should see the problem decline significantly. If you find these two alternatives too expensive, just look for any insecticide with a pyrethroid or cypermethrin based chemical, which are deadly to booklice.

Cheers!

Hi Dean,

My neighbour and I have been fighting the booklice problem with varying success. The two most effective (and relatively safer) methods are these insecticides we've bought separately:

1) Bio-X Lullaby (or Bio-X d'bug) - blue spray bottle costing about $23 in Home DIY, Self Fixit, or some Pet shops.

(http://www.petloverscentre.com/products.php?DepartmentID=1&DeptCategoryID=9&ID=11501&action=detail)

2) A cheaper alternative is a big white bottle with a green label titled "Potion Three Bed Bug Pesticide", which you can find at $56 or so at the Home DIY Store (That's where I bought mine).

H

Use these sprays to coat the areas where the booklice are frequently found and you should see the problem decline significantly. If you find these two alternatives too expensive, just look for any insecticide with a pyrethroid or cypermethrin based chemical, which are deadly to booklice.

Cheers!

All these spray won't work. FYI the problem already resolved. so far so good. Need open window for well ventilation.

U still fighting with these bug ar?

Mine also so far so good recently, but will occasionally see one or two in the toilets.

Could be the new apartments are built so the booklice migrating haha..

how much does borax cost to ship to singapore? $8USD+$9USD shipping for 1 pound of 20 pound?

I have just ordered two more boxes of Twenty Mule Team borax from a US website. I got it from a website called www.Soap.com. I paid USD15 for it to be delivered to the Vpost clearing centre in Portland, Oregon. Vpost will then deliver it to my home once they receive the order from soap.com. I expect the transport charges from Oregon to Singapore to be about S$35 as they charge by the weight. In case you are not aware, Vpost is a courier service provided by Singpost.

In the past I have bought it from a different vendor. Just select the cheapest I can find at the time of order.

I also use Borax for my laundry. Use about 1 tablespoon in the last washing machine rinse, it keeps the laundry free from mold growth and any musty smells. At this quantity a box should last me a year.

My previous order got through customs without any issue but I strongly advice not to order to many boxes in one go otherwise the authorities may withhold it thinking that you are an importer. It is not permited to sell borax in Singapore for fear of people using them as food additive.

Edited by Topspin

hi Topspin,

i am wondering have you tried baking soda and/or vinegar for your mould problem previously?

can you share your experience with them?

Never tried baking soda, actually never heard anyone using it to control mold.

Vinegar, yes, including a commercial preparation called Voltrex which is vinegar based. They don't really work. The vinegar exaporates away therefore the mold comes back. Borax is a type of boron salt therefore, once the water evaporated, it still leaves behind some salt residue on the surface. That residue keeps mold from growing on that treated surface.

Be careful with using vinegar though, one drop on your marble floor and it dissolves the surface leaving a horrible blur spot. (acid + calcium carbonate = carbon dioxide + salt solution) The marble is just calcium carbonate.

Edited by Topspin