Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
juz_me

Mould Under Desk

Hi,

I have bought a writing table last Jan. Only recently, I discovered underneath the table - full of moulds.

Any advise how to clear the moulds?

Heard that thinner can clear the mould? Is it okay to use that?

Thank you.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi,

I have bought a writing table last Jan. Only recently, I discovered underneath the table - full of moulds.

Thank you.

Thinner will remove the coating of your table leh. I use Bleach.

Hi,

Thank you.

Thinner is too harsh and may strip the varnish off your table (assuming the surface is varnished).

Removing the physical appearance mold is easy, infact using wet cloth alone is sufficient to remove the mold but the problem is how much has the mold "roots" penetrated the wood. If it has penetrated and not removed, the mold will re-appear within a few days.

The only solution that I have tried and works the best is Borax solution. It keeps the mold away the longest. If the wood is untreated, the borax solution penetrates the wood and actually destroys the unseen parts of the mold within the wood and keeps mold away almost for good. If the wood surface is coated/painted and the borax cannot penetrate the wood, you need to wet mop the surface with Borax once a week or until the mold problems goes away.

Thinner is too harsh and may strip the varnish off your table (assuming the surface is varnished).

Removing the physical appearance mold is easy, infact using wet cloth alone is sufficient to remove the mold but the problem is how much has the mold "roots" penetrated the wood. If it has penetrated and not removed, the mold will re-appear within a few days.

The only solution that I have tried and works the best is Borax solution. It keeps the mold away the longest. If the wood is untreated, the borax solution penetrates the wood and actually destroys the unseen parts of the mold within the wood and keeps mold away almost for good. If the wood surface is coated/painted and the borax cannot penetrate the wood, you need to wet mop the surface with Borax once a week or until the mold problems goes away.

Borax not available in Singapore?

Hi,

Thank you.

is your table solid wood? i have some solid wood furniture that also sprouted mold. my mom gave me some Old English polish and it's kept the mold away ever since (before that, the helper was sunning and wiping the furniture every week and still the mould came back). My mom tells me she gets the polish from DIY shops. hths

any solution? under ikea table top got mould. may i know using what to clean away.

If you don't wish to try borax or any other liquids proposed here because you cannot find them in the shops or cost consideration, etc, you may try normal cooking vinegar from the supermarket. Apply some vinegar with a cloth to the moldy area. The effect of vinegar is only temporary as they evaporate away completely. But if you managed to destroy the mold and its "roots" in that furniture, there is a good chance the problem won't appear for a few weeks.

But if your house has other mold spots, then the spores is all over the house and will eventually spread to the furniture that is presently free of mold....it is only a matter of time. That is why using a solution like borax is more effective as the residual salt crystals stays on the treated surface, unlike vinegar.

If you use vinegar, make sure you don't spill it on your marble floor as it will create a permanent "chemical burn" stain. (acid + calcium carbonate produce salt and carbon dioxide gas....school days chemistry :D )

If you don't wish to try borax or any other liquids proposed here because you cannot find them in the shops or cost consideration, etc, you may try normal cooking vinegar from the supermarket. Apply some vinegar with a cloth to the moldy area. The effect of vinegar is only temporary as they evaporate away completely. But if you managed to destroy the mold and its "roots" in that furniture, there is a good chance the problem won't appear for a few weeks.

But if your house has other mold spots, then the spores is all over the house and will eventually spread to the furniture that is presently free of mold....it is only a matter of time. That is why using a solution like borax is more effective as the residual salt crystals stays on the treated surface, unlike vinegar.

If you use vinegar, make sure you don't spill it on your marble floor as it will create a permanent "chemical burn" stain. (acid + calcium carbonate produce salt and carbon dioxide gas....school days chemistry :D )

my bro advised to use 1:49 bleach solution. so far i have been using that cos don't really like the vinegar smell in bedroom/study room :P but can't solve the problem completely leh. i guess my house is too humid :unsure:

may i check where and how you get the Borax since it's not available in Singapore?? Thanks :)

my bro advised to use 1:49 bleach solution. so far i have been using that cos don't really like the vinegar smell in bedroom/study room :P but can't solve the problem completely leh. i guess my house is too humid :unsure:

may i check where and how you get the Borax since it's not available in Singapore?? Thanks :)

Marsh, you want borax? I got them from Malaysia.

really? thanks... but can teach me how to use too? hee hee :P

can bring back from Malaysia mah!? :o

if the bottle is not too big, then i don't think there will be any problem. Maybe a pic of the borax can help those who never seen it on how it looks like. just in case next time i also need to go back malaysia to buy them. Hehehe.....

if the bottle is not too big, then i don't think there will be any problem. Maybe a pic of the borax can help those who never seen it on how it looks like. just in case next time i also need to go back malaysia to buy them. Hehehe.....

Yes a photo will be helpful hehe! Does GIANT in JB sell Borax?

Edited by forgotten

Yes a photo will be helpful hehe! Does GIANT in JB sell Borax?

Photo ah? no leh, I go and take tonight.

BUT, it just look like salt/sugar; not in commercial packing. If I am not wrong, it is a prohibited item in Malaysia too.

Remember, it is Borax powder. Do not make the mistake and buy Boric Acid. Chemically, they are both very different. Boric Acid is toxic but Borax powder is not toxic if used correctly.

I remember I saw from Chinese newspaper mentioned can use alcohol to get rid mould. I can scan Chinese newspaper.