Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ziztine

Who Installed Your Hob?

I just had my kitchen cabinet & solid surface installed by my contractor. I was surprised to see my hob still in its original box. I checked with my contractor & was told I need to arrange for installation myself :o

Who should be in charged of installing the hob? The solid surface guy? The contractor? If contractor, does it involve an additional cost? Shouldn't it be part of the kitchen cabinet cost?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
I just had my kitchen cabinet & solid surface installed by my contractor. I was surprised to see my hob still in its original box. I checked with my contractor & was told I need to arrange for installation myself :o

Who should be in charged of installing the hob? The solid surface guy? The contractor? If contractor, does it involve an additional cost? Shouldn't it be part of the kitchen cabinet cost?

For me, the carpenter make the rack(or whatever) and the electrician install it. This have nothing to do with the solid surface guy.

Your contractor would likely have engaged a carpenter as a sub-contractor to do the carpentry for your home. The carpenter is the one who is best suited to fit your hob and hood. However, the carpenter may not be the supplier of the solid top, so he has to work with the solid top guys to ensure your hob fits nicely into the cut out of the solid top, otherwise the solid top guys would have to sand off the edges etc. There should be no problems with fitting the hob onto the solid surface if measurements were taken properly.

Logically speaking, you'll just need to remove your hob from the packing and fit it on top of the solid surface top (touch wood it sits in nicely), then call City Gas to connect the gas outlet for you (assuming you are using City Gas and not the LPG type). In your case, I would ask the contractor to install the hob because it is his responsibility that it sits in properly. If it doesn't sit in properly, it's his business to make sure it fits because it means the carpenter & solid surface guys he engaged didn't do a proper job.

Edited by blue_skies

Thanks for all the useful advise. I fit my hob in & it goes in nicely. But how about the silicone to seal the edges to the kitchen top? Is it necessary? Cos if not water will seep into cabinet right?

Thanks for all the useful advise. I fit my hob in & it goes in nicely. But how about the silicone to seal the edges to the kitchen top? Is it necessary? Cos if not water will seep into cabinet right?

You can get clear silicone from the hardware shop to seal the bottom edge of your hob to the kitchen top. Don't forget the get the "gun" to press out the silicone too if you don't have one. Don't cut the pointy edge of the silicone container too much otherwise you'll get a big blob oozing out instead of a neat squirt when you squeeze the gun.

The silicone should cost you something btw $10-$12 but it's a pretty large tube that you can also use to silicone the edges of your kitchen sink to the cabinet top in case they haven't done it for you (they should have already though).

I requested for silicone to be applied around the edges of my hob coz I was afraid gravy that spilled might get under the hob and later cause a stain on the kitchen top. However not everyone does it so the contractor won't do it unless you specifically request for it to be done.

I don't think water will seep into the cabinet unless you spilled a large mug of water right at the edge of the hob :)