Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ashburn15

Ceiling Fan's Blade: Metal Vs Wood Vs Acrylic

Hi everyone. I know there are loads of posts on ceiling fans but none discussing the difference in blade materials. My impression (pardon me if outdated):

Metal: Strong, long-lasting, turns fast with lots of wind but not many models nowadays

Wood: Brittle, heavy and not much wind but popular nowadays

Acrylic: Brittle, easily broken but strong wind and also popular nowadays

Have shortlisted a few models from Fanco and Crestar but its between wooden and acrylic blades i guess. Looking to get 1 with lots of wind power for my MBR to replace air-con. And i'll be fitting it at my ceiling light point, so need light kit as well (burger type). Left with limited choices so do need your opinions and experience regarding the different blade materials. Thanks!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
There are many type of round light (hamburger) make sure that they are safety tested.

Brightness of those round type of light will not be better then those holder type.

As the frosted or plastic cover will block off some of the light.

Bro, is it true that these "hamburger" type of lights use 2 of the normal twister/straight kind of compact fluorescent bulb under the cover? They don't use the round tube like ceiling lights? Know of any light kits that use the round tube?

Dig out this old thread as I want to know about the wooden blade and acrylic blade fan and hamburger light also. My brother installed a wooden blade fan in the living room. The wind is not strong but comfortable and very quiet! I feel that it will be suitable for bedroom unless you insist on strong wind.

As for the light part, I have a friend installed fans with holder lights. They are very bright but there are shadows cast back up the ceiling and you will notice shadows spinning. Does this happen to the hamburger light as the hamburger light do not protrude out of the fan center part like those holder lights.

Edited by pacificblue