Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
emobebe

Paint - Dulux / Ici / Nippon -> Which One Is Better?

Hi,

Can someone advise which paint is better? Dulux / ICI / Nippon ????

I am gonna paint my living room and bedrooms. Looking for easy to maintain and natural glow.

EmoBebe

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi,

Can someone advise which paint is better? Dulux / ICI / Nippon ????

I am gonna paint my living room and bedrooms. Looking for easy to maintain and natural glow.

EmoBebe

Price wise, ICI is definitely premium. Then there is the odourless etc. Brand wise, I don't think there is much of a difference. I have used two of the brands and usually the wear and tear is the same. Things to note more importantly, bathrooms and kitchen it is recommended to use gloss, they are better moisture repellants. Ceilings can use flat. They help cover bad workmanship of plastering if there is any and living room, bed room walls can use semi gloss. You can use a damp cloth to clean the walls if there are any mishaps on semi gloss walls. Flat paint when cleaned would leave marks. These are my past experiences. Hope this helps.

Price wise, ICI is definitely premium. Then there is the odourless etc. Brand wise, I don't think there is much of a difference. I have used two of the brands and usually the wear and tear is the same. Things to note more importantly, bathrooms and kitchen it is recommended to use gloss, they are better moisture repellants. Ceilings can use flat. They help cover bad workmanship of plastering if there is any and living room, bed room walls can use semi gloss. You can use a damp cloth to clean the walls if there are any mishaps on semi gloss walls. Flat paint when cleaned would leave marks. These are my past experiences. Hope this helps.

Hi EmptyDivided,

Thank you for sharing. Actually, I noticed a lot of ID companies using Nippon paint rather than others. I am not sure whether the Nippon paint is better or because the Nippon company give them a bigger cut. I am looking for paint which can last longer and worth for the value.

EmoBebe

Hi EmptyDivided,

Thank you for sharing. Actually, I noticed a lot of ID companies using Nippon paint rather than others. I am not sure whether the Nippon paint is better or because the Nippon company give them a bigger cut. I am looking for paint which can last longer and worth for the value.

EmoBebe

To me, it's the colour that I want that are more important. These 3 have colour variations so it might not be what you like in ici but they have that exact shade in nippon.

Using Nippon Paint as the reference. Which of it series is considered as flat, semi gloss and gloss?

Emobebe: Yes, I happen to see that in my reno quotes too. They always say exclude ICI. Nippon is always recommended and you are definitely right on the price issue. My sister had her EM painted and was quoted $1800 with ICI. I don't know if that would give you a good reference point for price. Where else, mine is a two bedder apartment at 1527 sq ft is quoted at $1600 with any paint besides ICI and odourless paint.Hope this gives you a better bench mark on how much you should be charged.

Maydream_1: You are right on that point as well. At the end of the day, the color options will be the deciding factor.

SMJAS: Flat: http://www.nipponpaint.com.sg/products/int...-ceiling-paint/

http://www.nipponpaint.com.sg/products/int...emulsion-paint/ (Ceiling paints)

Semi Gloss:

http://www.nipponpaint.com.sg/products/int...yl-silk-finish/

http://www.nipponpaint.com.sg/products/int...-less-easywash/

http://www.nipponpaint.com.sg/products/int...h-with-teflon/( These are meant more for living room, bedroom walls)

Gloss: http://www.nipponpaint.com.sg/products/int...anti-bacterial/ ( This is with anti fungal and is water proof, but the finish is not stated, I would presume this is best for bathrooms)

Due to marketing, they have defined their segments differently now as what I used to know before. I have based these descriptions as per their website as a base point for semi, gloss and matt, eg living room, bathroom and ceiling. Anyone whom has used Nippon, care to share if I have made the correct recommendations? Cheers.

Hey everybody,

I'm so happy to have found this thread :D Didn't realise that it existed until now!

The funny thing is that I thought that ICI is more popular with ID firms whereas Nippon is commonly used by home-users who does their own DIY painting.

I've used Nippon's 3-in-1 medifresh about 8 years ago. And we started seeing patchiness on the walls only last year. It has definitely outlived its 5 years worth of lifespan!

But has anybody used Nippon's paint recently? And is the quality still as good as before?

Any idea?

Hi Empty,

Thanks for sharing. It is really helpful. Actually, I went to a hardware shop which also sell paints yesterday. As I walked into the shop, I saw only one auntie inside the shop. Then, she asked me...what you want? Oh, I am looking for ICI or Dulux paints. Oh, which one you want? All is inside that catalogues which she pointed at ICI and Nippon catalogues. Then, i just browse through the catalogue. Actually, I dun really know what i kind of paint I want. So, I just ask a few casual questions. Auntie, which one is good for kitchen and which is good for living room as in can last long and also suitability. Then, auntie glanced at me and replied both almost the same. So, my next question ICI better or Nippon? She replied again almost the same...then I asked price wise same or not...also the same answer almost the same... Then i asked how much for 5 litres ICI comparable to Nippon...she went to her store at the back and came back with a notebook..oh ICI ah 7x plus and Nippon 5x plus... Oh, you meant 7x and 5x almost the same is it? LOL.. She pissed off with me and kept silent for a while. Then, i just thank her for info and walk off from her shop.

I guess she don't really bother about the products she sell in her shop and her focusing is on can sell can already.

EmoBebe

Hi Empty,

Thanks for sharing. It is really helpful. Actually, I went to a hardware shop which also sell paints yesterday. As I walked into the shop, I saw only one auntie inside the shop. Then, she asked me...what you want? Oh, I am looking for ICI or Dulux paints. Oh, which one you want? All is inside that catalogues which she pointed at ICI and Nippon catalogues. Then, i just browse through the catalogue. Actually, I dun really know what i kind of paint I want. So, I just ask a few casual questions. Auntie, which one is good for kitchen and which is good for living room as in can last long and also suitability. Then, auntie glanced at me and replied both almost the same. So, my next question ICI better or Nippon? She replied again almost the same...then I asked price wise same or not...also the same answer almost the same... Then i asked how much for 5 litres ICI comparable to Nippon...she went to her store at the back and came back with a notebook..oh ICI ah 7x plus and Nippon 5x plus... Oh, you meant 7x and 5x almost the same is it? LOL.. She pissed off with me and kept silent for a while. Then, i just thank her for info and walk off from her shop.

I guess she don't really bother about the products she sell in her shop and her focusing is on can sell can already.

EmoBebe

No worries at all. I am glad to share. If you are living in the north region, I can suggest where to get the paints at a good price. I don't know if they are the cheapest island wide but their range is excellent and I have found their prices to be very fair. PM me if you need the shop's name.

Edenstrauss is a good living testament to Nippon paint then. Eight years is long overdue for another paint job. :)

No worries at all. I am glad to share. If you are living in the north region, I can suggest where to get the paints at a good price. I don't know if they are the cheapest island wide but their range is excellent and I have found their prices to be very fair. PM me if you need the shop's name.

Edenstrauss is a good living testament to Nippon paint then. Eight years is long overdue for another paint job. :)

Can PM me the shop name and contact? Singapore is a small Island. To be frank, I stay in the west region and will be moving to the east region soon. North region is in between. Should be alright..:)

Emobebe