Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
petunialee

Documenting The Construction Journey

hmm...then does it mean my builder not that good coz he said in 2010, he built (i think he means erection, A&A, reconstruct) slight more than 100houses! Before i sign up with my architect, i was in his office and i saw his 2010 projects (on his computer) also look like more than 50 coz they were in folders on his computer

I think i'm going to hijack your thread and post my builder and architect's contact coz i'm sick of replying to countless pm on contacts. Every time i'm out of town i receive PM then don't reply feel bad. Reply like waste my sleeping time.

Details of my project

1) Reconstruction (hack everything except pillars and staircase)

2) New walls for entire house using red bricks (even boundary walls)

3) 2storey become 2.5storey

4) 4rooms become 5rooms

5) 2toilets become 4toilets

6) land size 1846sqft buildup (i think it's 2800sqft,never ask before) before was about 2000sqft

7) no piling, did new footings

8) Did not share projects with others or neighbors etc.

9) No tender done

Owner : eileen (since i put my nick big big already and if u are going to call them for quotes, u need to mention my name so they know u are referred and they won't suka suka quote etc...u know what i mean lah)

Location : St Patrick's Road (guess i should be proud of my house and anyway St Patrick's road so bloody long, unless you are serious in building then i guess u'll go search for it)

SL Goh Builders

Ben Goh

6447 9703

9693 7064

Design Archcrylic

Kelvin Quah

6570 9856

Kitchen Koncept

William Teo

6270 8548

9296 2518

My ++ Interior (friend)

Ronnie Lin

9746 7020

generally happy with all of the above. I can work peacefully without having to worry about them communicating with each other and i don't have to keep going down to check on the site. Pleased that i'm able to solve issues through the phone! So i guess this means project management good?

Sounds like one of my projects with Kelvin & Ben...........

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi you mentioned you chose Kitchen Koncept. Do you mind sharing how much it cost for this italian made kitchen? My builder gave me an estimate of $25K for a locally made kitchen. Wonder if my $25k can buy an italian kitchen from Kitchen Koncept. Also, my electrical quotation for power, lighting (points only, without fixtures)and DB came up to $24K for a built up of 3500sq ft, land 4300 sq ft. Working on tight budget so really wish to know if my quotes are reasonable.

All on the same day, same size kitchen (wet and dry), classic kitchen (this guy call Peter, keep shaking legs...super turn off!) quoted me 20k in the morning excluding sink, taps, appliances. Read papers during lunch and saw Kitchen Koncept got promotion, they quoted me 23k with 2sinks and 2taps (coz i got wet and dry kitchen) but i didn't tell them how much Classic Kitchen quoted me. Kitchen Koncept threw in 3k Teka voucher which i used for Teka oven, microwave, hob and hood

so quite bimbo-proof to go with Kitchen Koncept (made in Italy assembled in Singapore) vs Classic Kitchen (made in eunos, assembled in Eunos)

Thanks for sharing. I am reconstructing a semi-d currently and the info has been very useful.

Thanks also to Eileen for sharing her contacts & suppliers.

$25k for the kitchen alone and $24k for electrical works

many HDB dwellers spend less than $25k for their entire home reno

you are loaded

yes thank you i am very very loaded. Sell your highly appreciated HDB flat in the central area then u will also be loaded.

my builder says my place will TOP end august although on the white board outside my house, official TOP = 31st Oct. So next monday will be 1st August and they still do not have the following done :

1) parquet to all rooms and staircase

2) staircase railing

3) lay marble flooring

4) lay carporch tiles

5) no gate

6) no letter box build up yet

7) no floor to ceiling folding window to my living room

8) no doors to everywhere

9) no lights (i haven't even buy)

10) no toilet bowl (i haven't buy)

11) no sink (i haven't buy)

12) no shower screens

Will all the above magically appear in 4weeks?

my builder says my place will TOP end august although on the white board outside my house, official TOP = 31st Oct. So next monday will be 1st August and they still do not have the following done :

1) parquet to all rooms and staircase

2) staircase railing

3) lay marble flooring

4) lay carporch tiles

5) no gate

6) no letter box build up yet

7) no floor to ceiling folding window to my living room

8) no doors to everywhere

9) no lights (i haven't even buy)

10) no toilet bowl (i haven't buy)

11) no sink (i haven't buy)

12) no shower screens

Will all the above magically appear in 4weeks?

hi pantieileen

I can fully understand your anxiety. I have been waiting for my roof to be up for the longest time and todate still roofless.. and I am expecting to take over house by nov/dec. Also, wondering if all will fall in place and magically happen in the coming months :( Anyway, notice that you are having marble flooring from your post so just want to caution you that you ought to get your builder to apply sealant otherwise it will be too absorbent and turn yellowish and then a nightmare.

Edited by twothumbs

hi pantieileen

I can fully understand your anxiety. I have been waiting for my roof to be up for the longest time and todate still roofless.. and I am expecting to take over house by nov/dec. Also, wondering if all will fall in place and magically happen in the coming months :( Anyway, notice that you are having marble flooring from your post so just want to caution you that you ought to get your builder to apply sealant otherwise it will be too absorbent and turn yellowish and then a nightmare.

The marble supplier applied sealant and polish it for me too. But i think i'll polish it again after the place is done.

No lah i'm not very anxious yet coz i bet with my builder that they confirm, double confirm, stamp chop guarantee they cannot finish by end August but he say can wor.

Truly an interesting blog with very helpful advice. Petunia, I really like your practical approach to the entire building process and agree that it's important to get the basics right, cos you can't change those easily. That too is my philosophy and I hope I can be as hands on as you were, going to your site twice a day!

You mentioned in your blog that there was an occasion when you felt like selling the house, buying another one and going through the whole process again without repeating your mistakes. Could you share with us what mistakes you made?

I am thankful that I did not appoint the same architect when I was in the process of looking. But your contractor sure looks good. I am sure he will be very busy over the next few years based on your recommendation!

My entire rebuilding process seems to be moving at a far slower pace than everyone else. I believe I started just a little later than pantieileen, but it looks like hers is all done already! I have just finalised my drawings with my architect - the original one that I had contacted but with a fixed fee (thanks to your suggestion) - and together with my structural engineer and Quantity Surveyor, we will work to get BCA approval on my A&A. My architect estimates that I will only appoint my contractor in February 2012 and TOP isn't until March 2013. Still, I have been very comfortable with the people I am working with (as you have with Mr. Grizzly / Mr. Panda) and am very excited about how the house will turn out. Fingers crossed!

Edited by citygirl

Truly an interesting blog with very helpful advice. Petunia, I really like your practical approach to the entire building process and agree that it's important to get the basics right, cos you can't change those easily. That too is my philosophy and I hope I can be as hands on as you were, going to your site twice a day!

You mentioned in your blog that there was an occasion when you felt like selling the house, buying another one and going through the whole process again without repeating your mistakes. Could you share with us what mistakes you made?

I am thankful that I did not appoint the same architect when I was in the process of looking. But your contractor sure looks good. I am sure he will be very busy over the next few years based on your recommendation!

My entire rebuilding process seems to be moving at a far slower pace than everyone else. I believe I started just a little later than pantieileen, but it looks like hers is all done already! I have just finalised my drawings with my architect - the original one that I had contacted but with a fixed fee (thanks to your suggestion) - and together with my structural engineer and Quantity Surveyor, we will work to get BCA approval on my A&A. My architect estimates that I will only appoint my contractor in February 2012 and TOP isn't until March 2013. Still, I have been very comfortable with the people I am working with (as you have with Mr. Grizzly / Mr. Panda) and am very excited about how the house will turn out. Fingers crossed!

Congrats! I am glad you are comfy with your team and you have a good archi. I'll PM you for his contact so that I'll use him the next time (if ever) I build a house. Do update on how your archi is at the end of your building process eh?

I don't suppose any prizes go to the house that gets completed first so I guess if this is the time you need to conceptualize and refine your house design then the time is well spent. It isn't how you start I guess, it's how you end.

Mistake 1

I should have specified a 10% buffer for my household shelter. Mistakes can happen when casting concrete and we casted a little smaller than specified and had to rework. With a 10% buffer, a little smaller or bigger would still be within regulations.

Mistake 2

I should have built up to maximum i.e., 6000 sqft.

Mistake 3

Use a flat concrete roof. I was afraid of flat roofs and the heat that radiates down from them, so I chose a metal roof with double density + cement board insulation (which is very cooling) but my archi gave me a very good insulation system for the little bit of flat roof that I have... which is quite cooling too.

Mistake 4

Use an open out gate instead of sliding gate. Most people have their gates open out and this saves driveway space.

Mistake 5

Design a higher ceiling for 2nd storey. High ceilings are very pleasant indeed.

Mistake 6

Don't underestimate how small shower space can be at 1.2m. I should have designed larger bathrooms.

Mistake 7

Have big huge windows in bathroom (with frosted glass and plant screens). I did manage to get these though... because I wanted them so much.

Mistake 8

Should have designed an open concept bathroom with access to outdoors... and half open to elements.

Overall, I do like my house a lot. When I talked of selling, it was to make money but I don't think the market is gonna rise up very much in the next 2 years so that plan is shelved. Haha.